What's new

My first straight razor shave

about an hour ago I completed my first straight razor shave. I used a 6/8 DOVO classic "special" from classicshaving.com and used a TI paddle sharpening strop with DOVO 6 micron and 2-4 micron pastes before shaving and I'd say I did a pretty good job for the first time. No major bleeders and no missed patches although the entire jaw line and chin on the left side of my face was raw and bloody. I used the AOS 4 essentials kit and was very displeased, it felt like shaving through gum paste (maybe it is my water). I think that the preshave oil is primarily to blame for the gummyness, I'll try it with just shaving soap next time and see if I am less raw. I felt really manly shaving with a straight razor too, so bonus there :thumbup:. My biggest problem was a shaving angle that was too shallow, I kept sticking the blade to the gummy lather/oil mixture on my face.

Congrats on the first shave w/ a straight make sure to do all the reading that has been made available on this site.

As for the the pre shave oil you can loose it. All you need is a good lather.

As for the the pre shave oil you can loose it. All you need is a good lather.
Thank goodness.

I did some video watching on youtube while waiting for my razor to arrive, and that really helped, I've read 6.5 of the 8.5 sections of the guide available, very well put together but I had gotten all the information presented thus far from other sources.

Welcome to the brotherhood. Angle or pressure is probally the chin problem, the chin was the hardest for me to get right. Try justst doin little patchs around the chin at a time doing a long stroke around the chin at first is hard due to the changing angles on the chin. I would also advise to use both hands from the beging harder yes but will help you develop better skills. oh yea also make sure the skin is stretched tight.
As for the gummy stuff either to much oil or not enough water is what it sounds like. I would not write of the pre shave, some of us love them the oil based are not my fav but I do use them I just like tbe non oil ones best.

about an hour ago I completed my first straight razor shave.

Congratulations!!!!

I used a 6/8 DOVO classic "special" from classicshaving.com

Did you add on the optional honing service from ClassicShaving? If not, your razor is not shave ready.

and used a TI paddle sharpening strop with DOVO 6 micron and 2-4 micron pastes before shaving and I'd say I did a pretty good job for the first time.

Is that a two-sided paddle strop? If so and you put abrasive pastes on both sides you do realize you'll need another non-pasted strop for daily stropping, don't you? Pasted strops are not for daily use.

I'll try more water and less oil next time (I might wait a few days for my face to stop hurting).

I did not add the optional honing service, I am a wood worker and as a result I know quite a bit about honing myself.

I did add those pastes to a two sided paddle strop, I also used an Illinois # 827 Russian process leather strop (and cleaned the razor off in between strops) I've also got a 4 sided paddle strop coming from the well shaved gentlemen and I requested there four finest pastes sequentially ordered so when that comes I'll be able to paste to a really really sharp edge. I have yet to get my norton 4/8k wet but in time that to will happen.

Opcn - welcome to B&B! It seems as though you are already knowledgeable and well prepared. Good luck!:biggrin:

An update, I actually got a good shave today, no mustache because I razor burned my self badly going (X/A)TG (but only on one side, the other side came out perfect, no visible stubble and BBS) but tonight I got my burns and one jaw line BBS and everything else is shaved down at least, not smooth but at a level I would have accepted from a cartridge razor.

An update, I actually got a good shave today, no mustache because I razor burned my self badly going (X/A)TG (but only on one side, the other side came out perfect, no visible stubble and BBS) but tonight I got my burns and one jaw line BBS and everything else is shaved down at least, not smooth but at a level I would have accepted from a cartridge razor.

Good job keep working on it and you will soon be getting fantastic shaves .

welcome to B&B

nick

Welcome to the world of straights!!

You've got a great start, and like everything else in this world, practice, practice, practice.

Top Bottom