What's new

Stuck TTO (Knack)

I have a heirloom Gillette Knack that will not close. I have not used it, but I opened it up to clean it and now it won't close. The tightening collar doesn't seem to be stuck with gunk; it seems like it is not engaging. It will wiggle back & forth (maybe 2-3mm), but the center bar doesn't seem to move at all when I do this. I have checked to make sure there is nothing bent on the doors or plate. I have also tried soaking it in hot water to loosen any crud as well as let it soak in oil. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any ideas or is it now relegated to decoration only?

thanks in advance!

Gently push (do not force!) on the mechanism that closes the doors (not the doors) and see if the nut will engage. If not, soak it overnight in dish soap water and try again tomorrow.

The Knack mechanism is as simple as they get! I will look at mine later and see if I have further insight.

Phil

I'll give that a go - thank you.

Does anyone know where I can find an exploded diagram of a TTO? It would be helpful if I knew exactly what I'm dealing with.

If that doesn't work give it a good spray with WD-40, let it sit overnight again, and try it the next day. If that works be sure to wipe the excess off with a clean cloth.

I just pulled my knack out. If you grab the bar that goes inside the blade you can jiggle it, that is the bolt portion that engages the nut on the handle. The other things to look at are the parts that connect to the doors, and make sure the doors are free.

I really think you have some scum inside and a good soak will have it right, unless there is some obvious damage.

Phil

I would like to thank everyone for the suggestions. I was finally able to get things moving, after a two day soak with WD-40, followed by a heavy towel wrap and pliers (last ditch effort; didn't scar the finish). It's still got a rough spot, but it's moving. I'll do another WD' soak and keep running the action until it's smooth.

Thank you all again
-Josh

Top Bottom