What's new

thoughts about the NEW Three Stooges movie

thanks for the responses everyone,i didnt mean for this thread to make anyone angry though, didnt really see that coming.I know this is a forum were you can express your opinion positive or negative.

I"m a huge Stooge-aholic and will go see the film along with SWMBO who is also a stooge fan.

The Stooges were not the best in American comedy, but they do represent a direct line to turn of the century Vaudeville who had the audacity to turn third tier roles as side-kick's the comedian Ted Healey into roles that nine-decades later we are in fact discussing. Vaudeville in it's day, represented both the best and worst of American performance, being half American Idol and half Gong Show.

There best films were made in the early-mid 1930's, but after the studio that they were under contract with, Columbia tightened budgets, saving money by recycling gags and later even film clips from earlier films. However they always championed the underdog, went out of their way to help widows and orphans and were loyal to each other in the cruel world of the Great Depression.

I am normally not happy at the prospect of remakes (True Grit excepted), but do believe that the Farley brothers love the Stooges and hope that will work to honor them.

Not a huge Stooges fan but I do like them in small doses. The "lobster" clip currently showing on Yahoo! and elsewhere is pretty funny. Will Sasso's got Curly NAILED.

This being said, the movie likely doesn't pretend to be anything more than 90 minutes of silliness.

In these times this kind of escapism is welcome.

I couldn't watch it.....love the originals so much,it would be irritating...however..I would love to see a movie bio,I have one from a few years back,really well done,but a high budget film on their lives would be great.

I grew up watching the stooges so don't really care to watch a re-boot. I think it'll more than likely turn out to be a polished turd. I also think they're making a horrible mistake casting Will Sasso as Curly - they should've gone with Zack Galifianakis as I think he looks more like Curly.
proxy.php

AMC has been playing the Stooges a lot lately. They....haven't aged well. I could see why that type of comedy was considered great 80 years ago but beyond the odd clever touches here and there, I didn't crack a smile through two 30-minute episodes.

However, the new movie looks cringe-worthy and especially unfunny.

As a true Stooges aficionado, I have been following this one for awhile. The original cast was supposed to include Benecio Del Toro as Moe, Sean Penn as Larry, and Jim Carrey as Curly. (As odd as that sounds, it would have been very interesting to see!) From the ads I have seen, they seem to have cast the thing pretty well--I actually think Will Sasso has captured the essence of Curly. I know that the Stooges seem like sacred ground to those of us old enough to remember, but I would rather see a new generation learn to appreciate them then see them fade from view.

Last edited:
We've touched on this subject before in this forum. I'm a big fan of the boys and have most of their episodes on DVD. Initially I was vehemently opposed to any remake, but now, it is what it is. I agree with a lot of you that Hollywood has run out of ideas, but the bottom line is that they get very little money from me because I won't pay to see their stuff anymore. A remake of the Stooges just seems out of place.

On CBS Sunday Morning today, they had interviews with Moe's children, and a little background about the Stooge's personal lives. They were under contract with Columbia and were paid $60,000 a year total as a team. It may have been "big money" back then but they also got no residuals; Columbia made a fortune off of them. I think it'd be a little more interesting to find out more about their lives. I've got a feeling they were kind of chewed up and spit out by Columbia and the maniac who ran the studio, Harry Cohn.

Don

I just got back from seeing it with my Son and my Father. I thought it was hillarious. It was well worth going to see. I think the movie was very well made.. My Father , who is 74 and a lifelong Stooges fan thouroughly enjoyed as well.

I just got back from seeing it with my Son and my Father. I thought it was hillarious. It was well worth going to see. I think the movie was very well made.. My Father , who is 74 and a lifelong Stooges fan thouroughly enjoyed as well.

It's been getting far better reviews than what people expected. I haven't heard one person yet that hated it. I'm sure my dad is going to go ape when he sees it!

My thoughts... Death at the box office and on cable in 2 months

Second place this weekend at $17M, behind The Hunger Games. With reviews being better than expected, it will be interesting to see what it does next weekend.

If it made nearly half its budget back this weekend in the US alone, it's entirely possible that it could turn a profit globally in the next week...which is all the suits will care about.

Second place this weekend at $17M, behind The Hunger Games. With reviews being better than expected, it will be interesting to see what it does next weekend.

If it made nearly half its budget back this weekend in the US alone, it's entirely possible that it could turn a profit globally in the next week...which is all the suits will care about.

Second place? There goes my faith in the public lol. I guess compared to what Hollywood has been pumping out over the last few years it's probably like Gone With The Wind compared to some of the junk they make.

Top Bottom