What's new

Anyone who facelathers first pass, then bowl lather second/third pass ?

I'm a bit weird, I guess :blushing:

I find that I like to facelather my first pass with one of my softer creams, then continue to bowl lather with one of my firmer creams for the second and third pass.

It takes me 3-4 minutes longer to shave this way - but I get the chance to use 2 shaving creams and 2 brushes in one shave - and since I have 25+ shaving creams it's time to step up when it comes to actually using these creams..... :wheelchair:

I use a stiffer best/pure badger for my first face lather pass and a softer silvertip badger brush for the second/third bowl lather pass.

I find that I get excellent shaves this way - anyone else doing/consider doing this ?

Yesterday I used my Shavemac facelather brush together with AOS Sandalwood cream followed by my Mühle Stylo Silvertip bowl lather brush together with Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream.

Very nice result indeed .......

I'm loving this idea! I still only own 1 brush but as soon as my next one arrives I'll be giving this a go. Not too sure about mixing the scents up too much but if they are mild ones or similar scents that would be fine. Anthony Logistics followed by Bigelow maybe or eShave unscented followed by C&E Nomad. Could have a lot of fun with this.

I would have considered it before I bought my Simpsons 2 bands, now I want to keep the brush in my face as long as possible ... (5+ brushes in a month, I'm a bit embarrased)...

Nothing at all wrong, or strange, about what you're doing. There are no hard and set rules involving shaving, so it it works for you, and the shaves are what you want them to be, stay with it. :thumbup1:

If it works for you go for it.

So you're using a different brush, cream and lathering method in pass 2/3 vs pass 1?

Sometimes I'll face lather in the shower in the morning to get my whiskers softened a bit, but then rinse it all off before I get out. I probably keep the cream on for three or four minutes. Then I bowl lather/shave like I usually do in front of the mirror after the shower.

I'm loving this idea! I still only own 1 brush but as soon as my next one arrives I'll be giving this a go. Not too sure about mixing the scents up too much but if they are mild ones or similar scents that would be fine. Anthony Logistics followed by Bigelow maybe or eShave unscented followed by C&E Nomad. Could have a lot of fun with this.

Mixing the scents up is not a concern, since I use an after shave balm and after shave lotion followed by an Eau De Toilette of the day after my shave anyway - I'm a basenoter - www.basenotes.net

I would have considered it before I bought my Simpsons 2 bands, now I want to keep the brush in my face as long as possible ... (5+ brushes in a month, I'm a bit embarrased)...

What kind of 2 band did you get, super or best 2 band ?

Nothing at all wrong, or strange, about what you're doing. There are no hard and set rules involving shaving, so it it works for you, and the shaves are what you want them to be, stay with it. :thumbup1:

Thanks - I will continue with this little ritual, when I have the time for it - probably twice a week.

Congrats. Too much fussing around there for me though.

Oki, to me it's worth it - I love face lathering first pass, especially if I have 2-3 days beard growth :kyle1:

What kind of 2 band did you get, super or best 2 band ?

There's only one grade of Simpsons Two Bands hair, but they are set in either Best or Super handles, depending on what the guy sitting there has closer to him I guess... There is no handles labeled Two Band as far as I know from Simpson but there is only one grade of hair that is Super Two Band... even if it comes in a handle that says best

when i face lather, i rest my brush in my Georgetown G5 scuttle in between passes. before i hit my face with the brush for pass 2, i give a couple of swirls on the brush to get any of the lather that has broken down in the hot scuttle or extra on the bottom of the scuttle, back on my brush.

it's not exactly what you are talking about, but kind of....full face lather pass 1, pass 2 & 3 are kind of hybrids of about 70% face and 30% bowl, as i whip up a little lather in the scuttle for pass 2 & 3

There's only one grade of Simpsons Two Bands hair, but they are set in either Best or Super handles, depending on what the guy sitting there has closer to him I guess... There is no handles labeled Two Band as far as I know from Simpson but there is only one grade of hair that is Super Two Band... even if it comes in a handle that says best

I just realized that - just a bit dorky that a famous brush maker like Simpsons will put a 2 band in a Best labelled handle - just not right IMHO !

I just realized that - just a bit dorky that a famous brush maker like Simpsons will put a 2 band in a Best labelled handle - just not right IMHO !

Honestly, it is visually so different from other hair grades that it doesn't really make a difference, it's not like anyone will confuse it. At the same time, once you feel the hair you won't care even if it said "stinky" badger :)

Lately, I've been getting out of the shower, lathering up using a MWF puck, leaving it on my face as I Q-tip my ears, straighten the shower and prepare the other shaving stuff. Then I rinse off the lather, leave my face wet, use the Arko stick to face lather, and shave with the same razor (39C) every day. Badger first, then boar.
Not only have I been getting as close to BBS as I possibly can every time, but I no longer use a shaving bowl, (I swish the wet Badger on the puck in a cup for about 30 seconds), or glycerin drops, or 3 drops of oil in the bowl lather, or Astro-Glide. I do use different brushes each day though.
Will this almost-BBS-every-time method stop me from using different things, different razors, and different methods in the future? You all know better than that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom