What's new

Anyone else not a fan of the whole

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hint - old people, you look stupid when you tuck shirts into jeans!!! Hence, the casual partially unbuttoned button down shirt.

I remember Bart Simpson teasing his father about being bald. Homer's retort: "baldness is hereditary" shut Bart up good.

So don't worry, you'll grow old and tuck your shirts too. :wheelchair:

I agree with a previous poster, if it's got tails, tuck it in, if the hem is straight, un-tucked. I suspect part off the style's success is it can hide a gut.

To the OP, the pictures linked are short tailed or square hemmed shirts, they do not even stay tucked if you want them to. Dress shirts require adequate tail in the front and back to stay tucked in. Usually they also require unfastening of pants to smooth the tails down, or uncomfortable and unsightly bunches occur.

Square tailed shirts are meant to be worn untucked, and only untucked, short tail shirts are often an abomination that is neither dress nor casual as they have too much tail to look kempt, and not enough tail to stay put.

Phil

I think the three shirts the OP linked too are all a bit different. One is linen and a bit more casual. I could see wearing that untucked. The plaid one could to either way. The one beside the plaid one is dressier and I'd tuck that one in.

Having said that, I am one mean-assed tucker, and generally any button-up shirt long enough to be tucked in gets tucked in. But I don't tuck in short sleeved polo shirts in the summer because that makes be feel like a boy scout.

It half bugs me. I actually like that style of shirt more than polos. And while I may roll up the sleeves (partially depending on the weather and partially on whether I accidentally washed that particular one in hot water :wacko:), I always tuck them in. I think it works for me, but part of it is the pants and shoes, too. I'll wear them with 505s and regular shoes, such as sneakers or oxfords if I'm feeling classy, or with 517s and boots and always dark denim.

Not even on my radar.

Ditto.

Long sleeves = tucked... ALWAYS... even a pullover, because when I'm wearing a long-sleeved pullover it is acting as an undershirt for a button down for layering.
Short sleeves, depends on the style. Square cut camp or "aloha" shirt, not tucked, but it's strictly informal... not for work.

Styles come and go, complaining about them only makes you that crotchety old guy no-one wants to talk to at parties.

That man is my hero. :) That actually makes me think of one of my favorite Blackadder quotes: "No he won't, Baldrick. Either I think up an idea, or, tomorrow, we die -- which, Baldrick, I have to tell you, I have no intention of doing, because I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich, and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf."

I tuck in all my shirts, of course I own nothing but buttoned down shirts that need to be tucked in... even when I was a kid I would tuck in polo shirts. It feels so odd to just have it swaying around, rolling up when sitting.. bleh. It also looks goofy, at least in my eyes.

Styles come and go, complaining about them only makes you that crotchety old guy no-one wants to talk to at parties.

thank you,it is 2012 I can honestly say I dont care what the next man is wearing or how he is doing so.Iam a young man of 24 years,but I would think older gentlemen would care less about this subject because they have seen more trends come and go.different strokes for different folks(DO YOU)

Lets keep it friendly and helpful please- Feel free to agree or disagree but be agreeable while doing so.

Thank you

Ditto.

Long sleeves = tucked... ALWAYS... even a pullover, because when I'm wearing a long-sleeved pullover it is acting as an undershirt for a button down for layering.
Short sleeves, depends on the style. Square cut camp or "aloha" shirt, not tucked, but it's strictly informal... not for work.

I do have some long sleeve button down shirts that I will use as light "jackets". I almost invariably wear colored pocket tees - always tucked thank you - but wear the long sleeve button down untucked. It could go either way for sure, a pocket tee isn't much more then an undershirt, but I tend to take off/put on the outer long sleeve during the course of the day.

Now an undershirt with a button down, all is tucked.

-jim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Guys, it "tucked vs. untucked", not "Obama vs. Romney" ... let's keep it civil. It's not the end of the world.

That man is my hero. :) That actually makes me think of one of my favorite Blackadder quotes: "No he won't, Baldrick. Either I think up an idea, or, tomorrow, we die -- which, Baldrick, I have to tell you, I have no intention of doing, because I want to be young and wild, and then I want to be middle-aged and rich, and then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf."

I tuck in all my shirts, of course I own nothing but buttoned down shirts that need to be tucked in... even when I was a kid I would tuck in polo shirts. It feels so odd to just have it swaying around, rolling up when sitting.. bleh. It also looks goofy, at least in my eyes.

I am reminded of John Wayne in Tall in the Saddle (1944 movie when the Duke was still young ...). Early in the movie he's introduced to the stagecoach driver who's going to give him a lift, & Duke has to sit up top with him. It's Gabby Hayes, and someone remarks disapprovingly that he's a cantankerous old codger (or words to that effect) to which the Duke replies "I have great respect for cantankerous old codgers ... I hope to become one some day."

:balloon:

We seem pretty well divided.

For those of you who do wear this style, where do you get your shirts? For the most part, I like the shirts without the "plaid" pattern. Mostly solid colors or vertical lines. I tend to like the Express ones, except I find they are pretty poorly made and kind of expensive unless you can get them on sale. Once you wash them, you also have to spend about 30 minutes ironing them because they wrinkle so badly. Target actually puts out a decent shirt, especially for my job which can involve crawling around in dirty or dusty areas. At $20 a shirt, I don't mind getting it a little messy, especially if I stick to black, grey dark blue and brown. I randomly find good brands at Belk, but its hit or miss.

Ive been doing this since the 90s. Tucking a shirt into jeans is a big no-no in my book, unless you are a cowboy. I would not do it with khakis unless the shirt is "tropic-wear."

Ive been doing this since the 90s. Tucking a shirt into jeans is a big no-no in my book, unless you are a cowboy. I would not do it with khakis unless the shirt is "tropic-wear."

I've always tucked a shirt into jeans, but then again, I've heard it said that Floridians are Texans without the hat. I was never sure how to take that. :001_unsur

-jim

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've always tucked a shirt into jeans, but then again, I've heard it said that Floridians are Texans without the hat. I was never sure how to take that. :001_unsur

-jim

If you are from the State you are from, you should

a) be mildly insulted,
b) assume this statement is perpetrated from guys from the other State, who "wanna be" from your State, and
c) make sure your shirt is still properly tucked in.

Top Bottom