What's new

Anyone else not a fan of the whole

Yeah it is a sad look unless of course it is a slim-fit and made to be untucked shirt (ie. short and casual shirt). But on the other hand I've never understood why botton-down shirts are used as dress shirts (sorry if I offended anyone), why not use a tie bar if the tie needs to be kept in place?

//EV

Styles come and go, complaining about them only makes you that crotchety old guy no-one wants to talk to at parties.

Thank you. As the number of seemingly anti-hipster (or whatever social/cultural subgroup) threads increase, the general overall benevolence of the forums appears to decrease. The negativity can be off-putting.

On topic, I do not tuck my shirts in for a number of reasons but truly do not mind if anyone else does the same or otherwise.

Last edited:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Never at work, but sometimes I do wear T-shirts w/ long sleeve unbuttoned check or stripe shirts with jeans (and top-sider shoes too). :lol1:

proxy.php
"Let them see you and not the casual clothes. That should besecondary". Cary Grant

There is a difference between "casual" and "dress" button-up shirts. Broadcloth button-up shirts with neck and arm sizes are not meant to be worn untucked. Casual dress shirts (that come in S, M, L, XL sizes) are an entirely different beast, and can basically be worn however you want. Some are specifically cut slightly shorter in order to be worn untucked without looking goofy.

I don't know...I wear my oxford and broadcloth buttondowns untucked with shorts and topsiders all the time during the summer.

My thoughts on the issue:

If it's with chino shorts, my rule of thumb is you have the option of long sleeves button up shirts being untucked, especially OCBDs.

Long pants, chinos jeans, dress trousers etc. TUCK them in!

If the shirt has a straight bottom as above, it's not a "dress" shirt and is meant to be untucked. It won't stay tucked anyhow.

Then again, I am from the "wear what makes you happy" camp 90% of the time.

(Except for the yahoos wearing hats in a restaurant with linen napkins! Take it off already!!! </getoffmylawnrant>)

Wear your shirt however you like, tucked or untucked. If anyone has a problem with that, well, it's not their shirt, is it? If someone doesn't like the way I dress, that is the problem of that individual, not mine.

Top Bottom