What's new

Fountain Pens

As some of you have read I am in pursuit of a Parker 51 Aero I think but not sure. Couple questions I would like kelp with.
On the Parker Aero or Vac is one better then the other and what about year?
I would like to build to 3 -4 Pens to cover nib range. I think I want to go Vintage. the parker 51 seems to be a must own IYO what are the other must owns and any specific on years or styles?
Thanks to all who can help. More opinions the merrier

I don't know yet whether an Aero or a Vac might be preferable; I've got a Vacumatic (not a "51") being repaired by Richard Binder right now, so I'll know something in a while. As for "must own," are you referring to performance, classic design, or what? I think an Esterbrook J series is worth owning; they're relatively inexpensive, and there is a wide range of screw-in Renew Points available for it, so you can get different nibs in the same pen. I really like the streamlined-deco looks of an Eversharp Skyliner, which comes in many finishes and a few different nibs, some flexy. There are some wonderful Sheaffers; I've got my grandfather's old Statesman Snorkel in my pocket right now. Sheaffer Triumph nibs are wonderful writers, although I don't think you'll find one with flex, if that appeals to you (same is true of the "51"). Have you checked out www.fountainpennetwork.com yet?

there is YMMV in pens just like everything else. in my nosing around the various forums i would say that the pen that seems to get the most universal praise is the pelikan, so based on that i would consider one of its variants a must have.

Go ahead with a 51 aerometric. They are nice problem free pens. They are easy to sell if you decide you don't like them.
Ask around first on places like http://www.pentrace.net/PenMarket.htm
to see if anyone has one for sale. Go for a plain Jane like a 51 special, because you are then paying for the pen, and not the cachet.
Best Regards, Ken.

Go for a plain Jane like a 51 special, because you are then paying for the pen, and not the cachet.

True, but I have to say, not all "51" Specials are completely plain-Jane. Mine has a Lustraloy cap with a grey pearl jewel. Certainly not nearly as fancy as some of the "51"s get, but it's nothing to complain about.

I know YMMV but just like razors there are those few vintage ones that most agree you have to own. Like the 51. Thanks for the sites but I was hoping some of the pen geeks here woud throw ou some suuggestions. With the Pelkin are there vintage ones I thought they were new to the pen game. I have a 800 now and love it but would really likle to go with a couple vintage. Thanks for some of the names I will start looking for r them would love to hear more.

I'd suggest scoping out the marketplace at FPN for good pens at good prices. I picked up a nice Parker 51 Flighter and an Esterbrook J a while ago for very reasonable prices. Both of these pens had been cleaned and re-sacked, btw.

Wayne

Parker started the "51" in Vacumatic which was only made for a few years (until 1948 IIRC). They then switched to Aerometric which they used until they stopped producing the pen (70s? I'm a bit fuzzy on the exact history). The Vacs work just fine, but they work via a rubber sac that can have a tendency to dry out or crack with age and need servicing, plus they are a pain to empty. The Aerometric filler is a nice, reliable, problem-free system.

"51"s are the agreed upon vintage pen to own. There are not very many others. As you know, many, many different varieties and styles, and the fact they made them for so long, make them an obvious collector. Otherwise, in vintage pens, people mostly seem to desire what they remember writing with when they were young. Esterbrooks are quite popular along with old Watermans and Sheaffers. Your best bet is to start at FPN:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

There are separate forums for the major pen manufacturers which you can back browse to see pics and what appears desirable to collectors - it can be quite unusual to an outsider why a pen is so wanted, but no different than razors. I highly recommend attending a pen show as well. There is no other place where there will be so many pens and so many knowledgeable people under one roof who are just waiting to show you what they brought to sell and answer questions. At the last Michigan Pen Show, there was one guy who only sold Parker 51s, and they were WAAY out of my price range.

Good luck Don - it is a fun hobby.

Dennis

Yes, Pelikan has been around for a while. I have a Pelikan 120 from the '70s, and I know they go back quite a way before that.

Maybe the correct starting point would be to ask yourself what you prefer in a nib, and go from there. Some prefer fine or very fine rigid points. Others prefer medium or broad nibs. It depends on your handwriting. Do you want an even line, or do you want a line with a lot of expressive variation? You'll find that some companies do flex better than others. What sort of paper do you tend to write on? Fine points will sometimes dig into a textured paper that a medium or broad would glide right over. "YMMV" varies even more with fountain pens than it does with shaving.

As for pens that "most agree you should own," aside from the "51" I think it would be hard to find another specific model. Brands, yes: Parker, Sheaffer, Wahl/Eversharp, Esterbrook, Waterman. All made some great pens. I'll admit that Esterbrook isn't quite up to the same level as the others, but they made cheap, extremely durable, and extremely easy to repair pens that still look great (many with gorgeous shimmering celluloid), and it's super easy to change the character of the pen by switching the point, which just screws in (and they made about thirty or so different nibs to fit in there). Some people have very in-depth Esterbrook collections, but I think most FP users have, or have had, an Estie J, LJ, or SJ at one point or another. (Check out www.esterbrook.net for what is probably the best Estie site online.)

I'd suggest scoping out the marketplace at FPN for good pens at good prices.

Gee, thanks. As if I'm not being tempted enough by the buy/sell/trade forms here and at SRP you go and post a link to a fountain pen forum with yet another buy/sell/trade form to further tempt me. Okay, I must run out and buy some lottery tickets. I need a larger hobby budget. :biggrin:

Gee, thanks. As if I'm not being tempted enough by the buy/sell/trade forms here and at SRP you go and post a link to a fountain pen forum with yet another buy/sell/trade form to further tempt me. Okay, I must run out and buy some lottery tickets. I need a larger hobby budget. :biggrin:

You can get some good deals on FPN, though. I got my "51" Special from another member for $35. I've been super happy with it. FP lovers tend to give a break to each other, and coming from a FP user, chances are it's in better writing condition than from an unknown seller on eBay who may not know the first thing about fountain pens.

You can get some good deals on FPN, though. I got my "51" Special from another member for $35. I've been super happy with it. FP lovers tend to give a break to each other, and coming from a FP user, chances are it's in better writing condition than from an unknown seller on eBay who may not know the first thing about fountain pens.

The community is no different than here. I would rather buy razors from B&B members. You get better deals and you know exactly what you are getting. Exact same thing there.

Dennis

I highly recommend attending a pen show as well. There is no other place where there will be so many pens and so many knowledgeable people under one roof who are just waiting to show you what they brought to sell and answer questions.

If you get the chance to attend one, this is a very good way of learning about pens. In the meantime, fpn will get you more than enough info as to what you want. You can't go wrong with a good, working Parker 51 though.

I have a quick question that some of you may know. I have a Duke fountain pen that I bought off of Ebay. It didn't cost much and in the world of fountain pens just might be frowned on, I have no idea. But it looks cool and feels nice when writing with it. So, if I fill it with ink, do I need to use the pen immediately and make sure to use all the ink within a certain amount of time? Or do I need to fill and just set it on my desk and use it when ever I need to over the next few weeks? I guess what I'm getting at is this, is it bad for my pen to have ink in it for an extended period of time?

So, if I fill it with ink, do I need to use the pen immediately and make sure to use all the ink within a certain amount of time? Or do I need to fill and just set it on my desk and use it when ever I need to over the next few weeks? I guess what I'm getting at is this, is it bad for my pen to have ink in it for an extended period of time?

I think that, while generally it shouldn't be a problem over a period of a few weeks, it depends to some extent on the characteristics of the pen and the particular ink. Some pens will remain free-flowing and ready to go for weeks, it seems, while others will dry up in a matter of minutes. Same is true for inks; some are faster drying than others. Best bet is just to try it and see.

I personally flush any new pen acquisition before inking it. A cup of tap water with just a little regular (not lemon scented) ammonia does nicely, followed by plain water. Then let the pen sit nib down on a paper towel overnight to remove the residual moisture and you're ready for ink. Here is a great resource for more pen info.

Wayne

Good point, Wayne, I hadn't even considered first-use degreasing (most of my pens are decades past their first use). Some folks use a little dish detergent dissolved in water for that, but whatever is used, the procedure often avoids skipping and dry nibs caused by oils keeping the ink from flowing properly.

I just had a chance to visit my recipe files for Richard Binder's preferred formula for pen flushing (it works great!):

2 Tablespoons clear regular (not lemon scented) ammonia
2/3 cup water
2 drops of Dawn liquid dishwashing soap

I filled up a quart bottle with this recipe a while ago, and just didn't remember the particulars.

Wayne

Went to my first pen show today in Ohio:001_tt1: Those that recommended it I am sure whether to thank you are curse you I will post some pics later in the week:biggrin1:

Agree with the Parker 51 as the basic (everyone should own one) classic vintage FP. I have one. They write very well and are very reliable. Personally, I don't love the styling (I prefer the classic cigar or similar look). I have a Pelikan m215 and love it. Was going to go for an 800, but use it mostly at work and didn't want to carry that weight or risk losing it (though I may reconsider).

You can always post a WTB for a 'user grade' Parker 51 Aero' on FPN. I did that a while ago and got a few offers though I ended up buying one off ebay for about $50 and it was in quite good shape.

Top Bottom