What's new

Citizen Eco-Drive

Very good time piece. i have two that i have owned for over 6 years and they are both running like champs. Very well priced and last forever

To you long term owners: have you ever had the replace the battery? I understand that it is rechargable but I am just curious.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I have a fairly simple titanium case Eco drive that I love. I've worn it with everything from the Marine Corps Ball and field exercises and its never let me down.

I was eyeing one up for a while, but ended up going with an Orient Automatic Skeleton watch instead. There was some independent test done where the watch mechanism was tested across a number of other high end models, and the one used by Orient came in second only to Omega. So: Japanese made, now distributed in the US, always seems to be a good sale on the web site, and comparable to Omega? Yes please! I'm happy with my decision every day!

i have a nighthawk as my semi daily watch(forget to put it on some day) for about 3 or 4 years. only dislike i have with it is i don't know how to uses the items on the outer ring.

I've had an eco drive for only 2 years, but I dont plan on changing it any time soon. A great watch. (I did have to send it in to get the strap replaced and the process was very smooth)

Love mine. I need to wear it more often. Dependable, durable, and a good looker!

(pic borrowed from thewatchsite.com)
$bn0016-55l_2.jpg

I have had mine for 5 years. Once I lost it for a couple of months. I went to the leather shop to get an old purse fixed. I had almost thrown out my old faithful purse. When I reached in the purse for the broken piece at the shop, I found my watch in a hidden pocket. Thank goodness I did not throw it out! Anyhow, it was still keeping time without having had sun for two months!

i have a nighthawk as my semi daily watch(forget to put it on some day) for about 3 or 4 years. only dislike i have with it is i don't know how to uses the items on the outer ring.

My understanding is that it is a slide rule (thereby explainingwhy you are unfamiliar with it's use). As it turns out, those that know how to use it have too poor eyesight to see those teeny tiny numbers on the dial...

Mike H

Instagram Famous
After 7 years of use by me, (4 years old when I got it) the capacitor finally gave out. Dropped it off yesterday, pleasantly surprised when the jeweler told me a new capacitor, installed would be $35 total.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After 7 years of use by me, (4 years old when I got it) the capacitor finally gave out. Dropped it off yesterday, pleasantly surprised when the jeweler told me a new capacitor, installed would be $35 total.

But for about $60 you can get a capacitor with flux.

To you long term owners: have you ever had the replace the battery? I understand that it is rechargable but I am just curious.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

I'll chime in here since I've had my titanium Eco Drive for over 16 years now. It's my every single, stinking day watch, so it's been in the water, mud, dirt, heat, cold, etc. I cannot say enough good things about this watch. It's still wearing the orignal bracelet/band, and the crystal has a very small scratch at the 10:00 position - not noticeable unless you squint and hold it just right in the light. No complaints whatsoever.

This time last year, I noticed that the second hand was jumping ahead periodically after "freezing" for a second or two. Since this watch was a 5th anniversary present from my wife, I decided to see about getting it repaired and contacted an authorized Citizen repair center in the Dallas area. The gentleman with whom I spoke immediately recognized the issue and explained that the battery in the watch does wear out eventually, usually somewhere around 10 years. I dropped the watch off and picked it up a couple of days later, and it's been running like the champ it is. I think the total cost was around $45 or so. They even checked the band, cleaned everything, and then pressure-tested it to ensure its water resistance was intact after the battery change.

Yes, sir...definitely worth it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This time last year, I noticed that the second hand was jumping ahead periodically after "freezing" for a second or two. Since this watch was a 5th anniversary present from my wife, I decided to see about getting it repaired and contacted an authorized Citizen repair center in the Dallas area. The gentleman with whom I spoke immediately recognized the issue and explained that the battery in the watch does wear out eventually, usually somewhere around 10 years. I dropped the watch off and picked it up a couple of days later, and it's been running like the champ it is. I think the total cost was around $45 or so. They even checked the band, cleaned everything, and then pressure-tested it to ensure its water resistance was intact after the battery change.

Yes, sir...definitely worth it.

That 'two-second hop' is the usual sign that a watch's battery is winding down. With an Eco-drive, it may just mean that the watch needs to be out in the sun more, or with a kinetic watch that you need to wear it more.

Of course, it can also mean that the battery is nearing the end of its lifespan and needs replacing.

Citizen says that their tests indicate that after 20 years the battery will still have 80% capacity (so instead of being able to hold a 6-month charge, it could hold only a 4.8-month charge).

Top Bottom