What's new

How do I build a fire for survival?

I've watched those shows in the Discovery channel and I know here's some editing. I usually will have a lighter on me for when I go hiking. But let's say I'm in a bind, what would be the Easiest and most efficient way to build a fire?

I attended a weekend long scout leader training event, and there was a session on fire starting. The man conducting the session demonstrated every way you could think of. The key point I took from this is to have a sandwich bag of dry tender in your survival kit such as dryer lint, or my favorite is needles or the such from under an Elm tree I believe it was. Of course my favorite generator was the steel wool and a 9 volt battery , however not the safest.

Legion

Staff member
My favourite (and I spent a year living and working in the bush, building fires for tourists) are those waxed cardboard boxes that the fruit and veg sellers use. The wax they use is paraffin, I believe. Cut those boxes into strips and they make great tinder. If that fails, tip a cup of diesel on the @#$%.

When I go camping and such, I cut up egg cartons into cups and fill them with the lint/dog hair combo from the vacuum cleaner and dip the whole sucker in wax. Light one corner with a match or magnesium striker and it will burn a solid 15 minutes.

A magnesium striker is a must have in any kit. Lighters can fail if they freeze or get wet-which is exactly when you need it the most.

The last time I did this was about 5 years back. We were out trekking in snow. We gathered relatively dry kindling, lit that, than threw some soggy-ish wood on top. Nice fire. But I'm no expert on trees and one of the guys with me said our success was more due to the wood type.

A magnesium striker is a must have in any kit. Lighters can fail if they freeze or get wet-which is exactly when you need it the most.

+1 on on the magnesium striker Jim. I carry one that Gerber Knives makes. I also carry in my pack the strikers fire starter gel packets, and in a sandwich bag a chunk of pitchy pine. I also carry a spare lighter, and wax dipped wooden matches just in case.

Clayton

+1 on the striker, Pitchy pine aka fatwood and the like make good kindling but will not light off a spark. Never had any tinder work as well as dryer lint also doesn't stink up your pack, its easy to store, and doesn't rely on anything that might evaporate away. A good knife, a striker, and tinder will get through most emergencies. The knife can be used to baton larger chunks of wood into kindling or expose dry wood in adverse conditions as well as the steel for your striker. It helps to have some skill in laying a fire, feeding it efficiently, and banking it to conserve wood and the coals when sleeping.

+1 on the striker, Pitchy pine aka fatwood and the like make good kindling but will not light off a spark. Never had any tinder work as well as dryer lint also doesn't stink up your pack, its easy to store, and doesn't rely on anything that might evaporate away. A good knife, a striker, and tinder will get through most emergencies. The knife can be used to baton larger chunks of wood into kindling or expose dry wood in adverse conditions as well as the steel for your striker. It helps to have some skill in laying a fire, feeding it efficiently, and banking it to conserve wood and the coals when sleeping.

would you be so kind as to point me in a direction to where i can learn how? or maybe teach? I've never had an opportunity to learn.

Similar to several above posts.
1. Cotton balls with petrolatum in a film can or other container.
2. Cardboard egg container with mixture of saw dust and/ot dryer lint with melted wax. Pour mixture into the compartments, let harden, cut apart and put a couple in a ziplock bag.
3. Red needles. If you are in any coniferous forest there are always some dead trees around. A handful of red needles and dried twigs can even be lighted when wet.
4. A good lighter annd waterproof matches in a container. As a back up, a flint and steel or Swedish Match as a sparker. Readiliy available online and sporting good stores.

Gotcha, I'll start with building and tending a fire using what ever emergency means you settle on. First there is no substitute for practice, you don't want to be on a hike and roll your ankle in inclement weather and end up trying to build a fire with little experience and limited mobility. If you own your home its easy enough to put in a fire pit, if not there is likely a park or state/national forest withing reasonable driving distance. Go out with friends or family for a few weekend evenings to sit around a fire and roast wienies or something. And sorry about the artwork just did a couple of quick doodles to help you see what I'm talking about.

You'll need to dig a pit first, not likely to have a fire ring handy in an emergency. The knife will be handy here as well to break up earth that can be scooped out with a stout stick. The pit will add safety and is helpful in sheltering the fire later. When you're ready to move on the earth can be filled in over the pit to extinguish the fire and clean up your space.

building a fire
1. Place two pieces of wood parallel to one another at least 10" apart. Centered between them place your tinder. Arrange in a tepee very small sticks or large splinters whittled with your Knife leaving an aria of tinder exposed to light with striker or match. If using a striker hold in one hand and scrape the spine of your knife down its length directing sparks towards the tinder. Add a few more splinters very small sticks once the others begin to catch.

2. lay larger sticks between 1/2 - 1 inch thick across the 2 parallel pieces of wood and then in another layer at 90 degrees to the first.

3. When the sticks have caught lay your large pieces 2 across the first two parallel pieces and another two again at 90 degrees. As the fire burns it will fall to the center and create a controlled burn and useful coal bed for heat and cooking.
$scan0001.jpg
Banking a fire -
1.When you're ready to retire take a large piece of wood and push the coals to the leeward side of the pit and place the log firmly on cool ash snugged up to the coals.
2. tightly pack a couple of large pieces over the coals letting as little air either to the coals or under the wood as possible. If done properly you should have sufficient coals in the morning to quickly build up a fire for cooking and warmth.
$scan0002.jpg

First, judging by your seeming lack of knowledge, I would recommend a good book on survival techniques. Something written by someone in your own country or the country in which you expect to need the skills, as they seem to concentrate on the flora and fauna of the authors own country.
Second I alway carry suger sachets for my coffee and tea amongst my camping/survival gear as well as a small bottle of Potassium Permanganate (Condys Crystals) for all sorts of things like water sterilisation, wound treatment and...Fire lighting. Take one of your suger satchets and mix it with some of your Condys on a piece of wood or flat rock have beside that your tinder ready to go followed by small kindling etc. Take a stick with a bit of a flat or rounded tip, stick the tip into the middle of your small pile of suger condys, push down firmly and twist with a bit of assertion, if you can make a small depression for the suger/condys to sit in. The flame will spring up hot and burn fast, thus you have your tinder etc close by (right on the edge of the suger/condys. If it doesn't ignite first time, scrape it together again and give it another go. Be out of the wind to do this.
I also carry a magnesium striker, matches and strikers in sealed camera film canisters (remember those anyone?!) and a disposable lighter. All kept on different parts of my kit or body, as any one of them can be lost or fail.

Mick

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Also, practice this stuff in your back yard, if you can. There is no point learning the theory of survival skills, and then only doing the practical test when it matters.

Thank you fellas, I added this page to my favorites. I'm going to go and make my kit, and get some practice in later today. I'll let you guys know how it fares....

you knock a squirel out dont kill it , if you sqeez his butt -juice will come out, scent glands- put this juice on a split piece of wood that is channeled out ( like a celery) get another branch the same size as the channel round it off-at the end-------- split the channeled wood about 2 inches and slip some dried moss in it - rub the rounded end in the channel till you get to the moss keep doing it -fire

Top Bottom