What's new

How do I build a fire for survival?

In this survival situation, are you guys making sure that there is a fire station near by or have a fire extinguisher?
Seems very irresponsible not to...
Unless you can put out the fire with a dead, half eaten squirrel..

In this survival situation, are you guys making sure that there is a fire station near by or have a fire extinguisher?
Seems very irresponsible not to...
Unless you can put out the fire with a dead, half eaten squirrel..

That is funny.

In a survival situation one should think about extinguishing the fire, yes. If the fire is kept small, and flammable debris is removed from around the fire to a safe distance then a good set of boots can extinguish the fire quickly and easily. If a digging tool (rock, stick, shovel if you packed it) was used to create a hollow, the dirt can be reserved to aid in extinguishing the fire.

Use of an open fire in certain conditions is seriously not recommended! Having a survival fire spread and impede your survival is not very helpful to anyone!

Yes, considering how to extinguish and/or contain the fire is as important, or more important, than the fire itself.

Phil

that's one of the reasons why you dig the pit in my earlier post. It helps contain the fire and the fill is a good extinguisher.

So, let me get this straight, I catch a squirrel, have him dig a fire pit for me, knock him out when he's done, squeeze his insides out....bank the fire with him...put the fire out with what's left of him... Why not just send this miracle squirrel to fetch the ranger in the first place?! We'd both be better off!

Thanks for bringing the squirrel to class, I needed a good laugh.

Back to building fires in the real word. When you dig the firepit be sure you dig down to "mineral soil." As you dig through the leaf litter, you'll get to the point where it might be hard to tell decaying organic matter from soil, in a hardwood forest, anyway. Make sure there is nothing that was once alive anywhere near the flames. If we went out in the woods now, you'd think I'm nuts for clarifying, but like others have said, on the side of a mountain, under adverse conditions, in the dark...

Last edited:
I save candle ends. I melt the wax in a double boiler and dip cotton balls in it, quickly removing and placing in an Altoids tin. It hardens, yet it is easy to remove. These will light easily with a match or lighter.

I also carry a magnesium sparker and dryer lint, waxed matches, and enough tinder to make a 'birds nest' in my fire kit. I have enough in a compressed package the size of a softball to make three fires.

Works for me, and I am in the bush every month.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Gathering enough fuel to burn through a cold night seems like a daunting task. A candle or two will work wonders in a vehicle. From which I conclude that shelter is very important too. I do have safety flares and candles in my car as well as a couple of packages of water proof matches. A fire steel and mag block sit on my mantle . . . where I'll never have an emergency. Maybe time to put them on my key chain.

oh man! :lol: :lol: I just could not stop laughing at the squirrel comments. That by far has got to be the funniest thing I have ever read. Scouts would have been much easier if I had known that bit of knowledge instead of wasting my time with dryer lint, mag. fire starters, water proof matches, etc.

This is a must try, next time it is a long day in the hunting stand and I don't see anything, the next squirrel that crosses my view is a goner to try this! :lol:

Legion

Staff member
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/284605-Coffee-when-camping

If we are talking a vehicle then we get some real choices on fire! This can fit in a rather small container with fuel for several days. You can hide it in the corner of the trunk and not worry about it. There are also commercial versions of this stuff starting as low as US$5 for a good ole Sterno stove.

Phil

Heck yeah!, Just last week I was out camping with that thing, and cooked beans, chilli, and made coffee with it! It worked great! And it all fits perfectly in my mess kit. (the alcohol lives in a lighter fluid tin.)

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My dad had what only could be described as a honking big candle. It was a tin of wax about 5 or 6 inches across and maybe 4 high. It had a wick that looked like a piece of linen strop that went from edge to edge diagonally. I think he had it from an era before flairs were common. Meant to be a warning light when you were pulled over on the side of the road changing a tire.

This thread is a great reminder that we should all have a go bag, and prepared for any conditions that we may be confronted with. Better safe than sorry!

I carry a bic lighter with the with the safety band removed and a few char broil sure 2 burn firestarters usually with a Doan's magnesium fire starter.

If it is a planned excursion I may add more firestarters but usually do not since I have a esbit stove and zippo or Imco lighter tucked away in my pack.

so, let me get this straight, i catch a squirrel, have him dig a fire pit for me, knock him out when he's done, squeeze his insides out....bank the fire with him...put the fire out with what's left of him... Why not just send this miracle squirrel to fetch the ranger in the first place?! We'd both be better off!

Thanks for bringing the squirrel to class, i needed a good laugh.

Back to building fires in the real word. When you dig the firepit be sure you dig down to "mineral soil." as you dig through the leaf litter, you'll get to the point where it might be hard to tell decaying organic matter from soil, in a hardwood forest, anyway. Make sure there is nothing that was once alive anywhere near the flames. If we went out in the woods now, you'd think i'm nuts for clarifying, but like others have said, on the side of a mountain, under adverse conditions, in the dark...
lol

Top Bottom