What's new

Straight Razor and Sensitive Skin?

I know I know, everyone here thinks they have a tough beard and sensitive skin. I actually have sensitive skin and medium tough beard. My face sometimes shows irritation out of the shower, and my lower neck is prone to razor bumps.

This does not mean I can't shave without much irritation, I just normally do a 2 pass shave every day or every other day, not usually shooting for BBS. My lower neck has some weird mapping, and I have to go easy.

Anyways, back to my question, does this mean I shouldn't consider straight razor shaving in the future? Will it be worse (later on of course after my technique is down) or is a straight good with sensitive skin? I don't see any threads posted in this realm, nor have I seen any on searching. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

:badger::badger::badger::badger::badger::badger:

Shaving with a straight is the best option for sensitive skin. With experience to dial in your honing and technique you can reasonably expect irritation free shaves. In my case, I used to get razor burn after most DE shaves which included an ATG pass. Since switching to straights ... well, I can't remember the last time I had razor burn.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Because the straight has no safety bar, the extent to which the blade abrades the skin is entirely up to your skills in pressure, blade angle and skin stretching.

I would hazard the opinion that a well executed straight shave can be as good, often much better than any other method of shaving. The key is "well executed". It takes a lot of time to get there. I have been at this for over a year and still have some rough shaves here and there :smile:.

I've found that one of the best things I've done for my sensitive skin was switching to primarily straight razor shaving. Between the difference in the blade, and the elimination of the chemicals and crap in the canned goop that used to go along with disposable cartridge razors, my skin thanks me every day.

I had a buddy who was really interested in my wet shaving – one night he stayed over after some drinking so I let try a “nice” wet shave with my DE. He warned me he had sensitive skin and a tough beard. Whatever. I think I loaded my DE with a fresh Feather – can’t remember the soap.

What I saw that morning was shocking! His face went crazy on him. It was as though every pore a whisker grew out of was bleeding! Moreover his face welted up like crazy. I was shocked! Then I was peeved when he wiped his face with my white towel lol.

Anyway he told me over and over it was normal – but he was the first dude I ever said to that maybe wet shaving wasn’t for him… or shaving period lol.

He’s since moved away but we keep in touch. I talked to him here recently and he stated that he was now using a straight. Claims it’s the best shaves he’s ever gotten. YMMV.

I also the very sensitive skin and VERY coarse beard...so I realized..the longer you wait 3-4 days before a shave..the more your face makes its own oils to aid in hair removal..its very minimal..try a good pre shave 5 minutes before your shave..I also have oily skin..so a straight without a bar actually removes the very thin layer of skin with all the dirt and oils in it after a day...thought I would also add..I sweat a lot..so my irritation isn't due to my prep but not enough cooling in my bathroom

I get less "burn" form the alum with a straight than with any DE, of course not while figuring things out.

straights are definitely an improvement with irritation on my sensitive skin. i kept a full beard for 20 years because i hated shaving (with a trac II). i went to straights and no irritation. i found this also improved my skin on my face even over a full beard when i picked up straights & wet shaving. Gillette's improvements away from DE's was a giant leap backwards. straights are 4 me although i sometimes use a DE because it a little faster 4 me.

Straights are excellent for sensitive skin. The straight has allowed my coarse curly hair to be shaved with ease. A properly honed str8 is an asset for you face after a shower for prep and the building of a good lather the hairs should just wipe away with no pressure and a slight angle. The learning curve would make one think that its not a better system but it is. You have the control needed to ensure that your shaves are as you desire not some bar. I would not be without a straight razor at this point. I literally get to shave time off my face. In addition, you dont have to go from DE to straight, you can skip it and go right to the str8. It takes a month of dedicated daily shaving to ensure that you have the technique down, and on top of that my hair grows in weird patterns also but because of the multiple passes and the gentlness of the straight I eventually shave in those direction and my shaves are nice. Take care.

I agree with earlier posts that once you learn the skills to effective use a straight razor it can be beeter for sensitive skin. The learning curve, and razor maintenance, may not justify the change however.

Thanks for all the replies, I found a few threads that hit on this subject as well, and all come to the same conclusion that yes, you can shave with a straight and have sensitive skin, and assuming your technique is correct it can be less irritating than using a DE. I appreciate the advice, and will consider a straight in the future.

I would say my skin sounds similar to yours in that I am pretty sensitive around my neck too. I used a DE razor for about a month and got amazing results getting BBS shaves with absolutely no irritation after I got my lathering and technique down. When I switched to straights just over a month ago, it was definitely a step backwards, but it is a pretty steep learning curve. Now I am getting shaves at really close to my DE, but my technique is still developing.

Now is definitely the time to get a straight!

You guys are funny, all the peer pressure here. I caught myself also looking at pipes today :eek:. What am I getting myself into....

I am shaving with a straight for less than a month but i can say that straight is the least irritating for my face. Now i get irritation free shaves. The hardest part for me is the maintenance not the shave....

I can only speak from personal experience, since my face is the only one I've shaved, but I'd say, although I do both, using a DE (Merkur HD) with a good blade is about the most gentle way for ME to shave for sensitive skin. I think, by design, a DE is gentler, at least for guys like me with a tough beard and sensitive skin! I can get a nice shave with my straights too, of course, but a good DE blade shaves me effortlessly, where a str8 (yes, it's honed and stropped well!!) simply is not as smooth or effortless although the results are still good. I'm sure it's just because of my extra-tough coarse beard and sensitive skin, though! :S That does not stop me from using a str8 at least once a week though, just because it's so fun.

It was probably the DE razor. I know they have only one blade, but they still trap bacteria, and would be used similarly by those who expect the blade to mind the angle for them.

A straight razor takes time to develop the skillful use of, and then it will take more time every time you use it (plus more time taking care of it so that it will take care of you), but this is 1000% worth it! No pinch-and-grab when the angle isn't just perfect, no problem if you have to repeat a pass here and there (just add more soap off your brush). No way to trap bacteria either - I used to get horrible irritation and ingrown hairs, but it couldn't happen if I tried with a straight. You can of course scrape your skin raw if you go too heavy with a blade which wasn't stropped properly, and of course you need to be careful about cutting yourself, but I never, ever get that rash which would flare up several minutes later after using a cartridge razor. Aside from all this, the satisfaction alone makes the time and expense that you put into straight razor shaving worthwhile. Every morning it's a pleasant, almost zen-like experience, without the nerve-wracking distraction from trying to rinse out clogged-up cartridges.

I had a buddy who was really interested in my wet shaving – one night he stayed over after some drinking so I let try a “nice” wet shave with my DE. He warned me he had sensitive skin and a tough beard. Whatever. I think I loaded my DE with a fresh Feather – can’t remember the soap.

What I saw that morning was shocking! His face went crazy on him. It was as though every pore a whisker grew out of was bleeding! Moreover his face welted up like crazy. I was shocked! Then I was peeved when he wiped his face with my white towel lol.

Anyway he told me over and over it was normal – but he was the first dude I ever said to that maybe wet shaving wasn’t for him… or shaving period lol.

He’s since moved away but we keep in touch. I talked to him here recently and he stated that he was now using a straight. Claims it’s the best shaves he’s ever gotten. YMMV.

I agree with earlier posts that once you learn the skills to effective use a straight razor it can be beeter for sensitive skin. The learning curve, and razor maintenance, may not justify the change however.

I understand that some may simply not have the time resources required for picking up straight razor skills, but after using one almost every morning for over a year, I still actually enjoy the job of shaving - a lot. It's gone from onerous chore to a useful hobby, and that makes the investment of time and expense (only a little more) well worth it. Buy honing gear, learn to use it, and the first time you make a blade gone dull to sharp and smooth again you will know that you will never need to buy anything for shaving again other than soap - PRICELESS!

Top Bottom