What's new

Slant and open comb same thing?

No. Slants and open comb relate to two different parts of the design that are not related.

"Slant" refers to either the slantedness of the head or the way that the head twists the blade. The comb design is not relevant to either.

As it happens, the only slant in production, the Merkur slant uses a "closed comb" design. There are a few razors around using closed combs, the R41 is one, the Darwin is another, Barbasol made one as well.

There have been slants in the past with open combs as well as closed combs as well as safety bar versions.

Open combs are generally thought of as aggressive. But they're not necessarily aggressive. They can in fact be mild. The open comb design does not make a razor more or less aggressive.

Last edited:
If you want to see the difference visually, the Merkur 11C and 12C are examples of open comb razors while the Merkur 37C and 39C are examples of slant razors. It'll be obvious what the difference is once you see a picture.

As to what cuts better, you'll have to decide that for yourself. Not all open combs and slants cut the same so that's a hard question to answer.

This is confusing. Some say the R41 is closed comb, some say it's open comb while others say it's a hybrid?

Yes, it is confusing since there are three:

1. Muhle Pre-2009 R41 which is an open comb with a similar head that is used by modern Joris razors
  2. Muhle 2009 R41 which is on open comb that is the same head as the Merkur 11C and 12C heads
  3. Muhle 2011 R41 which, I would refer to as a hybrid. I can also understand why people call it an open comb or safety bar razor.

1. Muhle Pre-2009 R41, also sold under the Fa Tip brand name
attachment.php

2. Muhle 2009 R41
attachment.php

The pictures were taken from this post.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out, they aren't the same thing. As for cutting better, I suppose it depends on what you're after. A slant bar does more of a slicing motion that a chopping motion. With good technique, you should achieve a closer shave with less work.

Right. I can see why the R41 may be considered a hybrid. I would call it a closed comb, but there is I suppose room for debate. The photographers who posted above did a great job.

Here's a close up of a Barbasol closed comb. Compare it to the open combs pictured above and you'll immediately understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom