Thread: Storing FPs

Default Storing FPs

Over the past year I've gone from having half a dozen fountain pens that I use regularly to...well, let's just say that there's a fair number more than that on my desk now. My question is: how do I store the pens that aren't currently in my rotation? Drain the ink, clean them and put them away? Pack them in cosmoline? Keep them in a thermos full of liquid nitrogen? What's my best bet?

Pottsylvania, near Whynchatakea Peak and Joisee
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Nid Hog View Post
    Over the past year I've gone from having half a dozen fountain pens that I use regularly to...well, let's just say that there's a fair number more than that on my desk now. My question is: how do I store the pens that aren't currently in my rotation? Drain the ink, clean them and put them away? Pack them in cosmoline? Keep them in a thermos full of liquid nitrogen? What's my best bet?
    Cosmoline is optional ( Sea going bellhop is showing Nid). Liquid Nitrogen only in extreme cases !!!!
    Brian
    Let's leave Politics at the door ... and out of B&B !!!!!!

Please Support Badger and Blade Member of the B&B 2011 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B 2012 Rudy Vey LE Brush Buy (#3)
    Member of the B&B LE 2011 Edison Glenmont Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B LE 2012 Edison Herald Grande Pen Buy (#1)
    Member of the B&B ? buy

B&B Old Fogies Club.
    Punkin Fest time.... I'm there !!!

Images

I think it's a safe bet that if you're not going to use a pen for "a while" that it ought to be flushed and dried, but after that, it's up to you. I keep mine in a converted cigar box, whether being used "currently" or not. I have about a 6 pen rotation right now, and each one gets used at least once a week, so it stays filled. Others are on the second shelf, empty.
    -Josh

Images

I would think just cleaning them out would be good. My Cross Century sat (with a cartridge in it) for at least 16 years packed away in a box in the attic. A bit of soaking and flushing and it was ready to go- I had ink dried in the feed, but if you clean it out before storing that will not be a problem. I would probably let it air dry for a day or so before packing it away.

on edit: I am thinking about putting the Cross back in storage, as it is a fine nib, so it doesn't get much love from me. I gave away all my other fine nibs, but I won't get rid of this. I bought it in the Higbee's store in downtown Cleveland (where the Santa scene in "A Christmas Story" was filmed). I miss Cleveland, and that Higbee's store (they had phenomenal wood working in it), and I am a bit of a sentimental sap.
    Last edited by oc_in_fw; 04-11-2012 at 02:17 PM.

i've been using fountain's for about 8 years now...when i am not going to have ink in a pen i completely flush them with water until the water comes out clear, then i leave them out to dry with the cap off for a couple of days. i always try to have the piston or filler in the position where the plunger is in the completely empty position while drying. i have never had a problem with a pen not starting. i have used this on 1 mont blanc 149, one parker 45 and one 95 and one 51, 2 esties, quite a few schaeffer's, 2 lamy 2000, 1 edison, 1 twsbi
    I'm 37, I'm not old....Well, I can't just call you 'man'

Justin - Prisoner #49 - The Year of Gentlemanly Shenanigans 2014 - Still In

Images

As you and others have said, flush and dry, put away. I actually give a quick wipe to rid the surface of oils and fingerprints and store them away from heat and light (UV rays damage many vintage pen materials).

Then I take the chest down to my safe deposit box.
    --Doug

Visit B&B's pen forum, The Nib