What's new

Silly question about Pinaud

So there seem to be a few Pinaud AS's, I went to Walgreens and they only had one, a regular Pinaud Clubman, not a huge bottle but not terribly expensive.

I got some Witch Hazel so if it's just a heavy alcohol mix I definitely don't need it, but I'm confused as to whether the other scents (like Pinaud vanilla?) is scented and this is unscented? Or is this a natural scent? I didn't want to buy it (going to crazy and have enough AS for now!) but I was curious if it had a scent.

I know a little bit of a silly question but I've never used it before and I didn't want to be a jerk and open the bottle at Walgreens to smell it.

I'm thinking in general I'm not too into a musky scent (which I'd assume if it's anything close to Old Spice) so I'd get a different kind, but I really am just assuming it has that since it's an old-timer looking bottle.

Clubman is a MUST HAVE after shave.

All of the Pinaud after shaves have strong scents. All are made with essential oils so I suppose this is "natural"

Grab a bottle of Clubman. You won't regret it!!!

OK well you guys answered my question as far as scent :) Thanks!

As far as oils, wouldn't a lot of other aftershaves have it? My plan was witch hazel and since I have a decently oily face I have some good aftershaves from previous times plus I bought witch hazel.

The clubman is down the street at Walgreens and I don't think it's too expensive at all, I just think I'm going to have to wait for my pocketbook to recover a little. Boy they were NOT kidding about the Acquisition Disorder, and you guys are no help :p My girlfriend is going to ban me from the computer from how many things I "discover" and buy from reading these super helpful forums :boat:

I use witch hazel and it really seems to help with my oily skin. One thing you want to watch out for is to not let your face get TOO dry. Once that happens your face will start pumping out the oil like crazy. I stopped using oil control face washes, and just use my shower soap, then witch hazel post shave followed by AS splash. It's a trial and error thing...but hey, that's part of the fun right?

Clubman is definitely a must have! If only it came in a "super concentrated" formula for the true junkie!!

Get it, frankly if you don't like it there is no shortage on the boards here for someone to take it off your hands...

I use witch hazel and it really seems to help with my oily skin. One thing you want to watch out for is to not let your face get TOO dry. Once that happens your face will start pumping out the oil like crazy. I stopped using oil control face washes, and just use my shower soap, then witch hazel post shave followed by AS splash. It's a trial and error thing...but hey, that's part of the fun right?

Yeah, get the same problem just using strong daily cleansers, I'm thinking with the witch hazel and my face getting less oily with age I may just drop all of those acne face cleansers, seems like there really is no need and witch hazel is definitely more natural than all of those chemical acne cleansers.

Clubman is definitely a must have! If only it came in a "super concentrated" formula for the true junkie!!

Get it, frankly if you don't like it there is no shortage on the boards here for someone to take it off your hands...

Oh I have gotten a lot from these boards, the BST section is amazing and sometimes dangerous for a newbie, but I got a lot of stuff I still have to try, I was thinking of just taking a few weeks off to recover :) But I definitely think I will be picking it up, things like that are cool to be able to pick up at Walgreens and only pay a little tax vs. full shipping!

To each his own, what kind of scents are you into?
Yep, absolutely. That's just my opinion. I know that pips is a younger guy on a tight budget, and I tend to think that the younger you are, the less likely Clubman is to strike a chord with you. I'm sure that isn't true for everyone. And if he does like Clubman, given the price, it could be a home run. I just thought I'd offer up a different opinion just in case. Based on my experience with it, I'd recommend that he save up and snag something else.

As for me, my favorites are Speick, Jermyn Street, Nomad, Musgo, and Trafalgar.

So there seem to be a few Pinaud AS's, I went to Walgreens and they only had one, a regular Pinaud Clubman, not a huge bottle but not terribly expensive.

Scents are very personal choices. Several mentioned here (and elsewhere) don't really agree with me. My body chemistry tends to make up its own scent in retribution for something I put on - with some scents, after an hour or so, I can't stand myself.

If you have a Sally Beauty Supply near you, they have a super large bottle (12 ounces or so) for less than $7. About the same as the 6 or 8 ounce bottle in Walgreen. Also, Walgreen in some places carry Pinaud Bay Rum for about $9 - for a 15 ounce or so bottle. Go to Walgreen on the web and look up the Bay Rum and then find a store near you that has it (the app to do it is on the site). I have decided I don't like the Bay Rum as much but am still holding on - it is stronger than some Bay Rums and it has a slight clove scent in the background. I don't like clove but overall the scent is acceptable..

Clubman smells a LOT like Canoe and is somewhat cheaper most of the time. I enjoy it but some don't. I was happy to find that Clubman smelled like Canoe since it is one of the scents that doesn't disagree with me.

Also, a Walgreen near me has Florida Water. Which is another inexpensive scent that many like.

Having said all that, I just concocted my own Bay Rum and it is on the shelf. Will know in a week if it was worth it. I added lemon to mine - I kinda like the overtone it brings.

dcobranchi said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with opening a bottle and giving it a sniff.

Every time I've seen clubman it has had a shrink wrapped seal over the cap, you'd have to break the seal to open the bottle. I agree with the OP, I don't want to be the jerk who opens the bottle to smell it.

Pinaud is definitely a YMMV thing. To me first time I tried it it smelled like FRESH skunk spray (ie: burning tires). I tried it a few times afterwards, and while it wasn't quite as much skunk, it lingered on me and just had a funk to it that I couldn't handle all day long. It was actually kind of good at soothing razor burn, though.

Ive been using Clubman since I started shaving.Great stuff.The scent,well,some love it,some hate it.
I agree with the previous post.Sallys has the 12 oz bottle about the same price as Walgreens smaller bottle.12 oz should last you a very long time.

Last edited:
Clubman is a great "classic" scent.
Don't open and give a sniff as just giving a sniff to the bottle won't really tell you what it's like as you need to have it react with your skin to give a true scent but with that said it is inexpensive enough that if you don't like it you're not out mucho bucks to PIF it.
Check the fragrance aisle at your local Wally World as well I've found a number of "old school" AS such as English Leather and British Sterling along with the standard Old Spice,Aqua Velva,Skin Bracer or Brut that work real good.
Just because they were dad's or grandpa's (or if you're a real young fella even great grandpa's) aftershaves don't rule them out if they're still around (EL 1948,BS 1965 and OS 1938)they've stuck around for a reason.

Just because they were dad's or grandpa's (or if you're a real young fella even great grandpa's) aftershaves don't rule them out if they're still around (EL 1948,BS 1965 and OS 1938)they've stuck around for a reason.
Because those old men are still buying them because they don't know any better? :wink:

Top Bottom