What's new

Silly question about Pinaud

Not sure about the OP...

but today I became a Clubman convert. I was uncertain if my wife would enjoy it but it earned her approval.

Whenever I've tried to find Pinaud Clubman here in the UK it's been very expensive (or it's been a US-based seller with prohibitive shipping charges), and all I've managed to get at a sensible price is The Veg (and I love that!)

But inspired by this resurrected thread I've just done another search, and this time I found an Amazon UK seller who has the big bottles for just £9 (~$14) including shipping, so one of those is on its way to me!

Whenever I've tried to find Pinaud Clubman here in the UK it's been very expensive (or it's been a US-based seller with prohibitive shipping charges), and all I've managed to get at a sensible price is The Veg (and I love that!)

But inspired by this resurrected thread I've just done another search, and this time I found an Amazon UK seller who has the big bottles for just £9 (~$14) including shipping, so one of those is on its way to me!

My 375ml/12.5oz bottle of Clubman arrived today after a bit of a wait, and... I love it!

The "barbershop scent" thing is kinda weird - everyone talks about it but nobody can meaningfully describe what it is, yet when we try aftershaves commonly thought of as barbershop we can all tell exactly what it means.

With that in mind, Clubman seems to me to be the definitive example of the barbershop style. It's powdery but not too powdery, has opening notes that are floral but not too floral, and has tones that are woody but not too woody, and even spicy but not too spicy.

A male friend who doesn't really like the idea of man perfume tried it, and he described it as a cheap aftershave that doesn't smell cheap. And he's right - Clubman shows that you really can make a very good aftershave without it costing much money. (Then again, the same friend thinks the divine Lilac Vegetal smells like cat pee, so what does he know?)

Clubman really is a big winner for me, and I'd have been loving it for years already if you selfish Americans hadn't been keeping it all for yourselves for so long :laugh:

Now that I know I love both Clubman and The Veg, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for other Pinaud varieties available at sensible prices in the UK.

Alan

My 375ml/12.5oz bottle of Clubman arrived today after a bit of a wait, and... I love it!

The "barbershop scent" thing is kinda weird - everyone talks about it but nobody can meaningfully describe what it is, yet when we try aftershaves commonly thought of as barbershop we can all tell exactly what it means.

With that in mind, Clubman seems to me to be the definitive example of the barbershop style. It's powdery but not too powdery, has opening notes that are floral but not too floral, and has tones that are woody but not too woody, and even spicy but not too spicy.

A male friend who doesn't really like the idea of man perfume tried it, and he described it as a cheap aftershave that doesn't smell cheap. And he's right - Clubman shows that you really can make a very good aftershave without it costing much money. (Then again, the same friend thinks the divine Lilac Vegetal smells like cat pee, so what does he know?)

Clubman really is a big winner for me, and I'd have been loving it for years already if you selfish Americans hadn't been keeping it all for yourselves for so long :laugh:

Now that I know I love both Clubman and The Veg, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for other Pinaud varieties available at sensible prices in the UK.

Alan

Seems odd that it's not readily available in Europe. I think the 'essence' is still made in France.

I guess all the bottling and assembly happens in the States.

The most important thing I can say about Pinaud Clubman is to poor it into a glass bottle as soon as you can. It can start to smell very "gasoliney" (is that a word?) if it lingers in the plastic for too long.

Top Bottom