What's new

(Mac owners) Apple to issue software to remove "Backdoor Flashback N" trojan

I think the design alone is worth the premium. Apple products look classy and like works of art.

Chinese slave labor does indeed produce impressive results. Not worth twice the cost in my opinion though (but I am a simple guy). Honestly though, Apple products have only started looking like pieces of art over the past few years. There is no variety though! They are all the same! Remember the all white plastic Macbooks ? Those things looked like crap.....they were built like crap too. The new aluminum ones are a great design however. But still an outrageous price. Remember, Apple did not become the most profitable corporation in the world due to sales alone. Their profit margin in mind blowing.

It always takes like three posts in any mac thread before it turns into a battle. Less in this case. No one even mentioned PC's in this one. It just sprung up out of nowhere. This is the part of the internet that sucks. Arguments rising everywhere. Like a string of frickin Youtube comments. <Useful info for mac owners> <jab> <punch> <zing!> <bite> <cry> <jab> <hate> Apparently buying a computer gives everyone the inclination to evangelize and spread the good news of their choice's gospel.

Thanks for the post OP! As a mac owner (as it says in the title... assumedly to appeal to... mac owners... huh.) I appreciate the news that Apple is taking steps to protect my computer against a possible threat. :)

It always takes like three posts in any mac thread before it turns into a battle. Less in this case. No one even mentioned PC's in this one. It just sprung up out of nowhere. This is the part of the internet that sucks. Arguments rising everywhere. Like a string of frickin Youtube comments. <Useful info for mac owners> <jab> <punch> <zing!> <bite> <cry> <jab> <hate> Apparently buying a computer gives everyone the inclination to evangelize and spread the good news of their choice's gospel.

Thanks for the post OP! As a mac owner (as it says in the title... assumedly to appeal to... mac owners... huh.) I appreciate the news that Apple is taking steps to protect my computer against a possible threat. :)

Battle? Who is battling? What in the world are you talking about?

Maybe I'm just reading things wrong. Maybe I'm just jaded from every other computer thread that turns into mac vs pc every time. Maybe battle was a little over the top on my part. Hell, maybe it was the whiskey sour talking. It just seemed to go off topic pretty quickly. Whatevs. As you were, guys. It doesn't matter much to me anyways. I pick the worst times to pipe up hahaha :)

Chinese slave labor does indeed produce impressive results. Not worth twice the cost in my opinion though (but I am a simple guy). Honestly though, Apple products have only started looking like pieces of art over the past few years. There is no variety though! They are all the same! Remember the all white plastic Macbooks ? Those things looked like crap.....they were built like crap too. The new aluminum ones are a great design however. But still an outrageous price. Remember, Apple did not become the most profitable corporation in the world due to sales alone. Their profit margin in mind blowing.

I purchased a refurbished white plastic macbook, sure it's not the greatest looking laptop by there are plenty of ugly laptops offered by other companies. I also haven't had any problems with it's construction yet.

I definitely agree that apple products have only recently been aesthetically appealing. They were pretty ugly, especially the old desktops that came in different colours. I'm amazed with the new macbook airs, they're so thin. I can see some users having issues with them do to limitations or prices of increasing SSD hard drives, and that the RAM is apparently soldered to the mother board making at home modifications more difficult if not potential harmful. I guess that's the price of having such a compact machine

Why is your Mac so superior? I am not taunting you, but honestly curious because I only do simple things on my computer as well (internet, word, listening to music, etc.).....nothing too fancy. I have never had a problem with Windows. I know some people use Mac for graphic design and making beats because apparently they have programs and such not available for Windows. But like I said, for the simple stuff I do, my PC works fine. As for viruses, never had a problems with them.....I just keep my antivirus updated.

What is so appealing about Macs for such simple tasks (they cost at least 2 times as much!)
Maybe some of the PC users here know this off hand. I know that mac's are expensive, and that you can purchase a non-mac laptop for half the price of macs lowest model. Are the hardware specs between a macbook and say a half price laptop comparable? Or is the argument that the specs of a mac are above what a "normal" user (i.e. email, web browsing, maybe watching some media) needs and they can get all they need out of a cheaper machine?

No problem guys. Its always important to be savvy to the ways your computer can be infected. OSX and any operating system for that matter is susceptible to attacks. Until recently, it hasn't been worth anyones while to create viruses for Mac computers. The nature of how OSX works makes it harder to infect, but as we see here, its possible.

To prevent most things that pop up, do a few smart things:
-have a separate admin account. Name it "admin" or something easy like that, and give it a separate password. Set all other accounts to normal. You don't need to login with the admin account. Just enter the admin credentials when installing programs, deleting files etc.
-download and run a virus checker. I've never found anything, but it can't hurt. ClamAV is a good one that you can get free online, or straight from the app store.
-install a stop script addon to your browser. I do this on any PC I run, but it can't hurt on a Mac too, given the recent JAVA vunerability. These addons stop java scripts from running on websites. If you visit a website where you want to allow java, just hit a button on the addon to add the site to your "safe list". You could also set your browser to not ever run java script if you want to go that route.
-be smart - don't click on ad banners or anything that looks "too good to be true".

Thanks for the info!

I switched from windows to Mac about six years ago. Will never go back to windows. Yes Macs are more expensive but they come with every thing I needed pre-installed instead of "trial software". In the long run I have saved money using a Mac and the cost of owning it is less than a windows machine. I used to be a hater and thought they were "expensive pretty machines"....I don't know many people that switched from Mac to windows for personal computing, and know plenty that did the reverse.

Battle? Who is battling? What in the world are you talking about?

Hmmmmm....

Slave labor....looked like crap....built like crap.....outrageous price.

Nope. No battle there. :rolleyes:

I'd be lying if this news didn't make me smile a bit, after years of hearing smugness from Mac owners about how safe their systems were compared to PC's (even though I've never had an infected system). But I always thought that the reason Macs never got viruses was because PC's were more-widely used, so the creator of said virus had more of an opportunity to cause chaos.

Hmmmmm....

Slave labor....looked like crap....built like crap.....outrageous price.

Nope. No battle there. :rolleyes:

Wow...way to selectively pick at my statement......

What about the part where I said the new aluminum ones are "great designs"? What about the part where I said "my opinion"? If we were talking about shaving soap or a razor, no one would have claimed I was starting a "battle". People say MdC soap is outrageously priced. People say Parker razors are built like crap. But god forbid someone says something unflattering about Apple when Mac users are present.........I should know better.

Last edited:
Wow...way to selectively pick at my statement......

What about the part where I said the new aluminum ones are "great designs"? What about the part where I said "my opinion"? If we were talking about shaving soap or a razor, no one would have claimed I was starting a "battle". People say MdC soap is outrageously priced. People say Parker razors are built like crap. But god forbid someone says something unflattering about Apple when Mac users are present.........I should know better.

I didn't selectively pick at the statement at all. Those were the phrases that jumped off the screen. Pejorative statements tend to drown out the other stuff, so if you're wondering why some folks thought you were spoiling for a fight, well, now you know. I haven't seen that combination of phrases used about a shaving product, here, but I suspect you'd get a similar response. Unless it was Williams. :001_tt2:

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I also got a Mac after getting fed up with having to buy a new PC every few years due to drives that would die, monitors that broke, and the blue screen of death.

I got my iMac 3 years ago and it still works exactly the same as it did the day I got it. Still boots up in quickly, wakes up from sleep mode without fail and so far seems bulletproof.

With my luck the motherboard is gonna fry tomorrow morning :lol:

Top Bottom