What's new

TRying hard to like Flake, not much luck...

I see and hear everybody raving about flake tobacco and am trying to share the bliss but with the exception of Penzance I have yet to find a flake that I like, anybody else in my boat?

I have tried:
Erinmore Flake
Mac Baren Navy Flake
Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake
and a few more that I can't recall the names.

Rattray's Marlin Flake and McClelland's Blend 2000 is a broken flake that I LOVE. I have some 1792 and that stuff would put anyone off of flakes, lol...it's strong alright, but it's also like smoking a penny. I get nothing but a metallic taste in my mouth with 1792. The others in your list I cannot speak to, as I haven't tried them. I highly recommend Marlin Flake though...rub it out and then let it dry for a few minutes before loading your pipe, I've found it just allows it burn more consistantly.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Starting with Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake is like starting shaving with a clamshell.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Have you tried either of the chocolate flakes? Most Flakes are VA based and I know you lean more towards english blends. I prefer the SG blend but either it, or Bob's may be up your ally.

How are you prepping the flakes?

I would recommend Cornell and Diehl "Sunday Picnic". I'm not sure if you'd call it a "flake" in the traditional since but, it is pressed into flakes. It is very mild smoke and was my first flake type tobacco. Also, I find that rubbing out flake tobacco not only makes it taste better but, it stays lit better as well. I also find smoking flakes in a Dublin type bowl is about the right size and shape for a good hour smoke.

From your list I have had the best results from McBarren navy flake. I used the fold and stuff method and it was a nice smoke. The others on your list I have had problems keeping lit or overloading. I do like Hal o the wynd which I belive is considered a broken flake.

Have you tried either of the chocolate flakes? Most Flakes are VA based and I know you lean more towards english blends. I prefer the SG blend but either it, or Bob's may be up your ally.

How are you prepping the flakes?
I samples of both but haven't tried them yet, I will give it a shot.

Most flakes hold there moisture better as well so they can take a little extra care to getting to your preferred smoking moisture content. Also folding and stiffing can be something of a black art and can cause difficulties. The MacBarens NF should be pretty good to go did it not smoke well or was it just not to your taste?

Last edited:
So far I haven't found a straight Va that I like much. Erinmore isn't bad, but still not one of my favorites; plus I think that one has some burly in it so it wouldn't count as pure.

I'm not sure if your talking about traditional pressed flakes only or if your including others. As Commander Quan said not loving Virginias knocks out a lot of flakes for me too. But most VaPers I've tried I do like. Escudo & McClelland #2015 are good. I think Escudo, folded 'n' stuffed into a tiny bent pipe has been my best flake experience so far. Of course that's a "navy roll" so it's not in that normal flake category. Then there's C&D Pirate Kake which I currently love :drool:. It is a "krumble kake....not sure exactly what that is but it comes in a brick that you have to chop into chunks of rugged, uneven consistency that you might expect of something smoked by pirates.

So far I haven't found a straight Va that I like much. Erinmore isn't bad, but still not one of my favorites; plus I think that one has some burly in it so it wouldn't count as pure.

I'm not sure if your talking about traditional pressed flakes only or if your including others. As Commander Quan said not loving Virginias knocks out a lot of flakes for me too. But most VaPers I've tried I do like. Escudo & McClelland #2015 are good. I think Escudo, folded 'n' stuffed into a tiny bent pipe has been my best flake experience so far. Of course that's a "navy roll" so it's not in that normal flake category. Then there's C&D Pirate Kake which I currently love :drool:. It is a "krumble kake....not sure exactly what that is but it comes in a brick that you have to chop into chunks of rugged, uneven consistency that you might expect of something smoked by pirates.
Yeah I like Pirate Kake a lot too, I guess it's the Virginia's I don't like, the 1792 smelled great in the bag and smells and taste good initially burning but the aftertaste I didn't like, reminds me of cigarettes.

...the 1792 smelled great in the bag and smells and taste good initially burning but the aftertaste I didn't like, reminds me of cigarettes.
I actually liked the taste from start to finish, it's just the nicotine I couldn't handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
No longer smoke, but when I did Gawith Dark Flake and 1792 were my absolute favorites, along with Brown No. 4 Rope and Dark Birdseye.

It's been at least 4 years since I smoked but the thought of a nice bowl of Dark Flake has me salivating. That classic Lakeland soapy character is hard to kick, once you develop a taste for it.

I've found I'm a VA fan, so I've got several flakes on hand, but I never got the hang of the "fold & stuff", so I usually just rub it out loosely (to about the level as HOTW in the tin), then let it sit a few minutes before loading up.

Top Bottom