What's new

Best Razor Polish

Nev-r-dull has its place. It takes fine active rust and dark patina off very quickly. I do agree - keep it away from washes, plating and fine engraving, and it does smell horrid.

Phil

Actually I have had & helped out with requests for sending Autosol across the pond to US restorers who found it "way better then anything available in the US including Flitz & Maas"
If I had knew that I could have just shipped you some MAAS, I have a few tubes that never gets any use since I think Autosol is much better. I have done a side by side comparision between Autosol and MAAS and Autossol came out as a clear winner IMO.

If I had knew that I could have just shipped you some MAAS, I have a few tubes that never gets any use since I think Autosol is much better. I have done a side by side comparision between Autosol and MAAS and Autossol came out as a clear winner IMO.
I was to ashamed to admit it in the open :biggrin:

I have a friend in Sweden who was only able to get Autosol locally and I convinced him to try Maas and he agrees there is no comparison. I assure you there is a big difference.

That's me...the "Traitor" haha

Actually there is no comparison between MAAS and Autosol if you intend to use these products for straight razor polishing. MAAS is so much better...I will never use Autosol again. IMHO of course!

Thank you Scott :)

Actually there is no comparison between MAAS and Autosol if you intend to use these products for straight razor polishing. MAAS is so much better...I will never use Autosol again. IMHO of course!

Anytima Andreas I am glad I was able to help! :lol:

:a36:

A whole nation is feeling lost...

I do look forward to trying MAAS out though :biggrin:

Ok, If I get Maas, which one? There's a few different kinds and if I get a Metalwax tr-pac, it looks like there's a couple different kinds too.
I just got a 1960 fatboy from ebay and will try to clean and wax. The thread on sterilization process gave me a headache reading, LOl, too many do's and don't s.
I'm still confused, if I cut my self and get HIV, I guess it was just meant to be. I think I'll pour boiling water over it with baking soda, rinse the hell out of it, wash with toothpaste and tooth brush, CLR it, wash again with barbacide and then I'll be ready to wax and polish. Whew, I think. LOL

Today I went to town on cleaning up this one razor. I used a bunch of sanding bits on my dremel to progressive sand it. Then I used 3 different buffing compounds. While picking up the buffing compounds, I saw this well known MAAS at Ace Hardware and I had to grab some for only 5 bucks. After the buffing, I finished with MAAS and it made a HUGE difference. If it weren't for the pitting I was trying to remove, I could have skipped the buffing and sanding and just used the MAAS. My girlfriend has a really old bedframe, and I tried the MAAS on that too and WOW. I brought it back to life. This thing was so dull and tarnished and now its shining like new. MAAS lives up to the hype, it's the real deal.

I loves me my Metalwax. I have (and use) all three strengths of metal cleaner and two types of wax/polish. :biggrin1:

That said, I'd like to warn first-time users that even the strongest Metalwax cleaner isn't likely to get patina or other forms of corrosion off with just one application. It may take two, three, or more applications before you see real results. But I've never had it strip gold or other plated coatings off anything so I'll stick with it for those pieces rather than MAAS. And since I finished off my last tube of MAAS I've been using Metalwax exclusively and just been patient as I worked with rag or toothbrush or q-tip.

HTH & YMMV

On Bayamontate's recommendation I tried the simichrome. I also have Maas, Felix and Mothers. Clearly better than mothers and Flix. Been maybe 7 or 8 months since I used Maas so I can't really say if it's better, but it is awfully good.

All polish removes some silver, placing it in the baking soda tin foil deal turns the tarnish back to silver without removal. That is the best thing, then silver dip and if needed a very light polish. I have tried a couple and I think "wright's" silver polish is the best. It smells nice and leaves a protective waxy coat for a longer lasting shine.

Top Bottom