What's new

Section 8 - 3, How to take care of your strop.

3.) How to take care of your strop…
Most strops when new will need little to nothing done to them. If they happen to be a bit bent (due to shipping) put it on a flat surface (like a table) and put a heavy book or two on the strop to flatten it out.

Periodically apply some strop dressing (like the product below) to your strop to keep it supple and hydrated. Some prefer neatsfoot oil, and various other products, and some strops (like Tony Millers) will often come with either a blend of oils he uses, or a dressing similar to the one below (Fromm #364). Different products are applied in different manners – but if it is a strop specific product – it will tell you how to apply it, as does the example below.

full

If you happen to nick your strop, provided it isn’t a big gash, relax – you can still effectively use your strop. Each case is a little different, but typically you merely need to remove the loose piece so it isn’t flopping around. Sometimes it may be necessary to use some VERY fine grit sandpaper to polish up the area to make sure it is smooth and below the main “level” of the hone, as if the nick is below where the razors spine/edge touch, you shouldn’t have a problem.

Provided you are reasonably careful with your strop, and take good care of it, it should last a lifetime!

PROCEED TO THE NEXT SECTION OF THE GUIDE - Section 8 - 4, How to apply abrasive paste to your strop.

BACK TO THE TABLE OF CONTENTS

Last edited by a moderator:
In a book I found from 1905 called "Shaving Made Easy", the authors recommend using lather to hydrate the strop. Has anyone had any experience with this?

In a book I found from 1905 called "Shaving Made Easy", the authors recommend using lather to hydrate the strop. Has anyone had any experience with this?

If you want to proceed with this method, lather from a tallow based soap is best.

If the instructions for applying the "Fromm #364 Strop Dressing" conditioner were in the picture, then it does not load. I recently purchased this conditioner and would like to clarify how to use it. Is it applied from the front side of the skin or is it possible only from the side of the bakhtarma? By the way, is the composition of this remedy known?

Top Bottom