What's new

My first digital SLR camera.

What should I be looking for more pix, or speed, etc?

All of this depends on what you plan on photographing. If you're shooting sports, look for something that has more frames per second. Three fps is a good start. If you're shooting indoors a lot, look for something with a high ISO range. Make sure it goes to at least 1600 or 3200.

I'm a Canon user and find them very easy to use. Their interfaces have improved through the last couple of years. Nikon makes great cameras, too. Between those two brands, I think you're getting the best quality of images for the best price. However, I agree with imfallen_ angel above — you need to go to a store and try different brands to see what feels best. If you're looking to stick to a budget of about $1,000, see if you can get a setup with a couple of lenses. If you can get a wide angle and a telephoto for under $1,000, you're pretty much set up for any shooting situation.

As far as Canon goes, I can recommend just about anything in the Rebel series. They're affordable, good quality cameras that I've used to shoot on assignments for newspapers and magazines when I first got started professionally. You can find them just about anywhere and they're pretty simple to figure out.

If you want a really good resource for camera reviews, check out www.dpreview.com. They've got a database with just about every camera on the market with comprehensive reviews.

However, a couple of warnings before you step into a store:

Don't get caught up in megapixels: They really aren't that big of a deal. Actually, with many cameras, the more pixels they cram in, the more likely your images could actually begin to deteriorate. Be careful with this. You really don't need 20+ megapixels unless you're shooting for billboards or you're really that picky about image detail.

Also, your camera should last for quite some time. You don't have to spend a lot of money in a camera body to get something good. If I were you, I'd spend about $800 on a camera and see if you can't find $400 or so to spend on a nice lens. Fixed aperture is nicer than variable, which will likely give you better luck shooting indoors or sports.

Maybe I got too detailed, but I love this stuff. Good luck!

I'll second the big cheese about Pentax. I've been very happy with my two (K-7 replaced by K-5), but as others have noted above, the standard of quality in the camera industry is remarkably high, and it would be hard to go wrong. There is a Pentax enthusiasts' web site which participates in a lot of the virtues that make B & .B such a pleasure:.http://www.pentaxforums.com/

If there is a good local camera store, you could do worse than be guided by their advice. Local support and exptertise are themselves good reasons to go with a brand. If not and you ever get to NY, I'd recommend visiting the big stores Adorama (my favorite) and B & H (the biggest and many people's favorite). You can try everything and have your choice shipped to you so avoiding.the hefty sales taxif you live.out of state. There will be similar places in other big cities.

Have fun !

The hardest part of making a buying decision is to have a realistic fix on what it is that you want to do with/get from the camera. Unless you have some knowledge beforehand, the technical aspects are, at best confusing and as worst, misleading. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands and getting hands on is a big plus, as they can be quite different. If you have a friend that can give competent advice, without brand bias, that is a great way to go.
My particular brand bias is for Pentax cameras; I think that they are excellent cameras and a great value for the money. They lack the Canon/Nikon name exposure in the consumer marketplace, but then again, Leica does also.

I see a lot of Canon lovers in here, so I thought I'd chime in for Nikon. Here in Vancouver, I've purchased used at different times, a D40, D60, and D200 for between $2-300 each. I've used highly reviewed 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, and 28mm lenses purchased for all under (or slightly over) $200 each. I've loved each of the setups and can recommend any of them as an entry level if that range fits your budget.

Top Bottom