What's new

Help me choose: EJ DE89 or a modern Merkur open comb...

I've got a hankerin' for a new DE. For a while I was digging my 39C Sledgehammer, but then decided to go back to my 23C. Lo and behold, I enjoyed it much more than I had in the past. Improved technique? Maybe.

Anyway, I just wanted anyone's thoughts, votes, whatever, that might sway me in the direction of trying the EJ 89DE - or a Merkur open comb (having never tried a true open comb) - and if an open comb by Merkur, which one?

FWIW, I shave only every 2 to 4 days because of somewhat sensitive skin (only real tricky area is my neck, which, if anywhere, is where I'll get nicks or irritation).

Let me know what you think!

If you're gonna get a EJ DE89, get the barley chrome handle version: EJ DE89BA11

Better grip IMO and also much more pleasing to the eye.

By the way, I love my EJ. Best razor for the money.

Well, 2 EJ DE89 votes...I know its, for the most part, a very well regarded razor. I do prefer the look of the barley handle.

I gifted the EJ89 in Barley to my father over the weekend. Great razor, but to me it got old fast. I love my 39C and am also searching for an OC.

My recommendations in the following order; 1. Merkur Slant 2. Merkur 11C 3. Any Gillette New. A custom from CooncatBob, or a gold re-plate (there one on EBay right now from ocrazorman).

I personally love, love, love my Merkur 1904 Open Comb. I use it every day as my evening razor, and could not ever think of not having it as part of my rotation.

That being said, the EJ89's get a lot of love, as the should, they are a great razor.

DE89, any one.. The 23C was my first razor. Since then, I've tried slants, open combs, adjustables, new, vintage, etc..

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING shaves as well, and irritation free, as my DE89's. I have the Barley, and lined handles versions..their both the same shave quality, obviously.....fyi...i have a heavy, wiry , coarse beard... With feather blades, its a match made in Heaven. I've since sold all my other razors... It its as good as all the hype you read about it..!!

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the EJ DE89, but I'm definately the minority here. I have not tried the Mercur. I would go with a vintage Gillette.

Might want to wait for the (hopefully soon to be released) Pureman line of razors. They are gonna be exceptional I do believe

Good to see some other razors getting some love, too, now - though you guys are making it harder for me to choose, ha! Oh, woe is me; I couldn't get more than one more for now - ah well, I'll let any suggestions keep coming in for a day or two. I dig the look of the Merkur 1904's handle - but I'm not sure how good the grip would be (just basing that on a review I quickly read) - still, it's a consideration. The 11C is one of the OC razors that's been on my radar, too. Actually, just about all the Merkur OCs...

I will be frank...I personally don't know what all the hype over the DE89 is about. The DE89 was my first modern razor, and although it is constructed well, great finish, good balance, I personally don't find it to be a very effective tool at stubble reduction, leading to too many passes, and causing irritation for me and my beard type. (YMMV)

I would try one of the Merkur open combs, or if you can find one, the 2010 Muhle R41 Open comb which is pretty mild.

In my opinion....and I see it all the time on EVERY forum I belong to...a product develops some buzz...and before you know it, everyone is on the band wagon selling the hype. If you want mild...go with a vintage 40's SS...IMO does a better job the DE89, if you want a more efficient razor...go with an OC...and don't rule out a vintage 1930's NEW, IMO one of the best designs over made...

If you have sensitive skin, a less efficient razor means more passes and more chances for bumps, ingrown hairs and discomfort.
The reason I have stuck with OC is I can get the job down in at least two passes less than if I was to use the DE89 (I need at LEAST 4 passes plus touch ups with the DE89 to get a BBS shave)....and I've tried the DE89 with tons of different blades...now mind you...I am 48, a fairly thick coarse beard, lots of gray in my beard. My face will react much different than a young mans face and beard type.

just my .02 worth

I will be frank...I personally don't know what all the hype over the DE89 is about
That is the nature of YMMV. "Popular" and "best suited for you" are two entirely different things. Anything in column A but not in column B will seem overhyped. When looking into suggestions and recommendations always consider the source. It doesn't do much good to taken them from someone with entirely different needs/wants than your own. The OP doesn't seem to give us much to work with. It helps to post your experiences and what has worked and what hasn't worked for you when seeking input. Otherwise you just get people replying with blind recommendations for what they prefer.

Last edited:
Okay, you nutters. ;) I am now left with a small but excellent short list from which to choose. Knowing the influence of this place, by some point in the future I could end up having tried every suggestion you enablers made. But, for now, it will be the...heh, well, I haven't decided yet. We'll see! Cheers, and thank you for the helpful thoughts.

I will be frank...I personally don't know what all the hype over the DE89 is about. The DE89 was my first modern razor, and although it is constructed well, great finish, good balance, I personally don't find it to be a very effective tool at stubble reduction, leading to too many passes, and causing irritation for me and my beard type. (YMMV)

I would try one of the Merkur open combs, or if you can find one, the 2010 Muhle R41 Open comb which is pretty mild.

In my opinion....and I see it all the time on EVERY forum I belong to...a product develops some buzz...and before you know it, everyone is on the band wagon selling the hype. If you want mild...go with a vintage 40's SS...IMO does a better job the DE89, if you want a more efficient razor...go with an OC...and don't rule out a vintage 1930's NEW, IMO one of the best designs over made...

If you have sensitive skin, a less efficient razor means more passes and more chances for bumps, ingrown hairs and discomfort.
The reason I have stuck with OC is I can get the job down in at least two passes less than if I was to use the DE89 (I need at LEAST 4 passes plus touch ups with the DE89 to get a BBS shave)....and I've tried the DE89 with tons of different blades...now mind you...I am 48, a fairly thick coarse beard, lots of gray in my beard. My face will react much different than a young mans face and beard type.

just my .02 worth

If you cant get good shaves with One of the Smoothest Efficient Razors on the Market Today, I have but no choice to ? your Status as a Real Wet Shaver :tongue_sm

Top Bottom