What's new

Question for the Aftershave historians

strop

Now half as wise
I now have my great-grandfather's restored straight and brush as well as his mug. I'm planning a birthday shave in his honor, and need some help. I'll use vintage Williams soap. He died in 1938, so it would have been available to him. I can use witch hazel as an aftershave, but from what I know of him, he would have used something a little "fancier". He was a farmer in southern Indiana, but was very successful. My mother has a mahogany library/hall table and his curved glass front secretary. His mustache cup was of china, delicate and painted with a floral pattern, because my grandmother said "He liked nice things".

What kind of aftershave might have been available to him in rural southern Indiana circa 1920. I think the Sears catalog may have been a source as well as the local general store, which I remember from childhood. They sold everything!

Any ideas?

Any of the Pinaud's Clubman, Lilac Vegetal etc.(late 1800's), Old Spice (1938) or Aqua Velva (1929) would be appropriate!

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal seems to show up in every old drugstore catalog I look at, and the "imported from France" cachet might have appealed. Bay rum should work too, or maybe a simple rosewater.

Another point to consider is that the local drugstore may have made their own. From the 1919 Bulletin of pharmacy, Volume 33:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Small sampling of Sears catalogs below, but Lilac Veg, Skin Bracer, or Aqua Velva would all be a good choices.

$sears 1915.jpg

$sears 1933.jpg

$sears 1934.jpg

Top Bottom