What's new

Cutting your own hair- help with the sides...

Does anyone else cut their own hair here? How do you get the sides with an electric trimmer without going to far and cutting the top? I feel I leave to much behind and yet if I go any further I shave parts of my scalp. Not cool:death:

I cut my own hair with a buzzer - #5 on top, #3 on the sides/back. I stop on the sides/back about 1 and 1/2 inch above my ears (basically up to the part of my melon where it starts curving to create the crown), and do the rest with the #5.

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding your predicament... Are you using a mirror to help see what you're doing?

I cut my own hair with a buzzer - #5 on top, #3 on the sides/back. I stop on the sides/back about 1 and 1/2 inch above my ears (basically up to the part of my melon where it starts curving to create the crown), and do the rest with the #5.

Perhaps I'm not quite understanding your predicament... Are you using a mirror to help see what you're doing?

Yeah see- When I try to do the sides I tend to stop early before reaching the top of my head. The result is a bit like a mushroom. I don't have the numbered system trimmer (I do know what you are talking about though)

I try to make the sides half an inch and let the top grow out. I'm terrified that I'm going to cut the top and as a result I overcompensate

Ah, yeah, without the numbered system I'd be terrified to try it.

You can get a cheapo trimmer (with plastic numbered guards) for about $20 at most drugstores (or big box). Might be worth it to avoid the trauma of mushroom-head.

I guess my best suggestion if you're going to continue without a guard, is to trust yourself to cut a little higher than you think - the way my hair falls, I can cut up pretty high without problems.

Last edited:
These are guards. The plastic things you put over the exposed metal cutting apparatus. I use one length for the sides/back, and another length for the top...
$tn_AndisMLguards.jpg

Hand control. I've been cutting my hair since I was 14 so I've gained the experience to where I can cut my hair without a mirror. I can do it by feel. But it takes patience and hand control.

I use a No 3 straight up the sides. And as I reach near the top (where it starts curving inward) of my head I glide the buzz clip off and free hand guild it up And slightly out creating a fade effect.

Same thing for my back but I tend to glide off and out a little lower.

Then I use a number 2 for the bottom on my hair line.

Then I use the slanted clips for around bboth ears.

Obviously this will vary depending on your style.

Back when I was still in high school I used to cutny hair myself with an electric clipper, a Wajl if I remember correctly. Used to be a No. 2 on the sides and the back, and a No. 4 everywhere else. Back then I was able to do everything muself, including giving myself a square cut on the back of my neck. All comes down to hand control and practice!

Now a days I don't even try. Hair getting thin as it is :)

You have to have three mirrors, or a mirror that opens to both of your sides, and then it's just a matter of experience/experimenting.

I do it by feel. I use my electric razor with a guard and just go all the way up. I stop going up right after I feel my head start curving.

Top Bottom