What's new

Size help - Rooney vs. Shavemac vs. SR

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on a new brush, and it will probably be a Rooney. I am trying to decide between sizes however. I am looking at the Style 1 medium, Style 2 small and the Style 3 small and medium. Right now I have a Shavemac 177 and a SR 104. I like the sizes of these and would like the new brush to probably be at least as large as the SR 104 or close enough. It's very hard to judge pictures by themselves because there is no reference, and I had read about the C&E small that everyone recommended, and when I saw it in the store, it was tiny IMO.

So, does anyone happen to have any of those Rooneys next to a Shavemac or SR or anything really to judge size (your hand?). I've tried searching but didn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a pic of the Rooneys from Vintage Blades (Thanks, Jim)
proxy.php

The 104 has a 20mm knot with a loft of 50mm. The 2 & 3 smalls have 22mm knots and lofts of approx. 60 (2) and 55 (3). So they are a bit bigger than the SR.

Thanks Bob. I was looking at the loft,handle and knot sizes but for some reason I got the impression that they would still be smaller. I'm not sure why. I guess I wasn't thinking and didn't realize that the SR was that small. I think the small (2) or (3) would be fine for me.

I am a fan of smaller brushes. They are easier to control, don't waste a lot of product etc. Keep in mind that the shorter the loft the firmer the brush will feel. So depending on what you are after you should keep that in mind when picking out a brush. In order of firmness it would go 1,3 and then 2.

I was actually leaning towards the 2 or 3 because of that, I don't really want something scrubby. The only other brush I was looking at is the EJ medium in Super, but I'm unsure of how EJ Super Badger compares to Rooney Super Silvertip.

I was actually leaning towards the 2 or 3 because of that, I don't really want something scrubby. The only other brush I was looking at is the EJ medium in Super, but I'm unsure of how EJ Super Badger compares to Rooney Super Silvertip.

I believe the Style 2 is somewhat similar in size to the C&E best, so if you were looking at that one (only one with a PJ-style handle), then you may want to look into the style 3 - the 2 is only available in small. Best of luck.

J

I think the C&E is a little smaller, going by the review here at B&B. It has a knot of 23mm, base of ~46mm and loft of ~52mm. I may have to take a trip back to the store as it's been a while since I've seen it, I just remember being surprised by the size.

I think the C&E is a little smaller, going by the review here at B&B. It has a knot of 23mm, base of ~46mm and loft of ~52mm. I may have to take a trip back to the store as it's been a while since I've seen it, I just remember being surprised by the size.

C&E has a knot of 21mm by my limited measurements, and corresponds to this brush on the EJ website: http://theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/1EJ947||@cEdwin%20Jagger%20Best%20badger%20shaving%20brushes@b|0|user||29|
Overall height 99mm (3.9 inches)
Handle height 46mm (1.8 inches)
Handle diameter 33mm (1.3 inches)
Knot size 21mm

Specs of the Rooney Style 2 are here: http://vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xcart/home.php?cat=155
Overall brush height: 115mm
Handle height: 55mm
Brush Loft: 60mm
Knot diameter: 22mm

Due to the longer loft, it may 'feel' like a larger brush, so you may be right there. Let us know how it works out!

J

I thought that EJ was the same brush, I guess the knot size threw me off. Anyway, thanks. This is actually most likely going to be a Christmas gift, so now I have to wait :rolleyes:

Are there any opinions on the EJ Super vs. the Rooney Super Silvertip in terms of the hair? Are they comparable?

I thought that EJ was the same brush, I guess the knot size threw me off. Anyway, thanks. This is actually most likely going to be a Christmas gift, so now I have to wait :rolleyes:

Are there any opinions on the EJ Super vs. the Rooney Super Silvertip in terms of the hair? Are they comparable?

NO. EJ will not nearly be as dense, nor with tips as soft. Best of luck.

J

Top Bottom