What's new

What do you usually listen to?

For moi: Usually classical, jazz, and some funk on occasion.

Right now I am listening to the Buena Vista Social Club's flagship album. :001_smile

Stuff you've probably never heard of at all.

www.rpmchallenge.com

800 albums all made in Feb 07. tens songs or 35 minutes. Quality wasn't important, just the creative process. Some amazing stuff here. Also some stuff you're going to hit "Next" on in the first few seconds....but....to each his own...that's the point.

All kinds of stuff. On the way to work this morning I listened to a few songs by The Who. Some of my all time favorites are Rush, Kiss, AC/DC, The Brian Setzer Orchestra, Les Méchants Maquereaux, Λένα Παπαδοπούλου, etc., etc. I especially like to find stuff to listen to in foreign languages, as you might have guessed from some of the names/bands listed above. I don't necessarily have to be able to understand the language to enjoy the music.

I really am an "all kinds of stuff" person. Here are 3 random .mp3 files from my playlist of all my songs, as they appear in random play:

Enya - Tempus Vernum
Eric B. & Rakim - Microphone Fiend
Lamb of God - Laid to Rest
Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas
John Butler Trio - What Do You Want
Lennon - Finish What We Start
Johnny Hartman - The Nearness of You
Lenny Williams - I Get So Lonely
Sheryl Crow - No One Said It Would Be Easy
Aphex Twin - Heliospan

A little bit of this, a little bit of that. It's diversity that gives us the most exposure.

For me, it is a mixed bag.
Punk - mainly old school and '90s. I don't much care for a lot of the new punk.
80's new wave - New Order, the Cure, etc.
Some rock - Queen, Van Halen
Late 50's jazz - love the Dave Brubeck Quartet and Miles Davis from this era with Coltrane
Classical - mostly the big ones - Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Bach

Progressive music like the following:
Fish
Riverside
Salem Hill
Saga
Porcupine Tree
Genesis (Peter Gabriel)
Abigal's Ghost
Mystery
Mermaid Kiss
Flower Kings
Gentle Giant

Bebop:
Miles
Trane
Wes Mongomery

Jazz:
Flim and the BBs
Bela Fleck
Quincy Jones

Classical:
The Russians and the Scandanavian's

Soundtracks:
Blade Runner
Lord of the Rings

I know, I'm weird.

stream-of-conscious list:

Gustav Mahler
Husker Du
The Replacements
Sonic Youth
Helmet
Melvins
Don Caballero
The Jesus Lizard
Hum
The Flaming Lips
Mercury Rev
Built to Spill
The Wedding Present
Anton Bruckner
Pat Metheney
Michael Hedges
Ray Lynch
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Minutemen
Black Flag
The Birthday Party
Shostakovich
Steely Dan
King Crimson
Entombed
Acid Bath
Buzzoven
Monster Magnet
Clutch
Hawkind
Dazzling Killmen
***** Magnet
Slint
Pavement
Sebadoh
Hammerhead
Cows
Seam
Grifters
Unsane
Today Is The Day
Massive Attack
Coil
Meat Beat Manifesto
Skinny Puppy
Ministry
Nine Inch Nails
Guided by Voices
Wilco
Son Volt
Uncle Tupelo
R.E.M.
Meat Puppets
Buffalo Tom
Jimmy Eat World
Jets to Brazil
Jawbox
Minor Threat
Fugazi
Cocteau Twins
The Cure
New Order
Joy Division
The Clash
Can
Voivod
Porcupine Tree
Opeth

ok.. that's what I *usually* listen to..

Funny you should mention that...I stopped of at Newbury Comics (indie CD/Comic/etc. chain) today and bought:

Live Rob Zombie (for the wife)
Sarah Silverman
Nick Swarsdon
Dwight Yoakam Sings Buck
Louis Prima
Pavarotti
Bruce Springsteen Magic
Omar & Jimmie Vaughn

I'm all over the place musically. Have a TON of CDs. Big blues and Elvis Costello fan.

John

For moi: Usually classical, jazz, and some funk on occasion.

Right now I am listening to the Buena Vista Social Club's flagship album. :001_smile

How funny...I just listened to that album this morning, Tony Bennett is on right now. I enjoy a variety of music.

stream-of-conscious list:

Can

ok.. that's what I *usually* listen to..

Hah! Glad to see Can make the list--I've been a fan since I first heard Ege Bamyasi in the mid-70s. I was lucky enough to see Hoger Czukay perform on my birthday a few years ago. A great show, very sparsely attended.

The Aggrolites, both The Aggrolites and Dirty Reggae albums at the moment.

On a more general level everything from black metal to folk, alt. country to punk and hardcore, industrial to classical. Aside from top 40 radio rock/pop and new country, I'll listen to pretty much anything.

I am stuck in the 60's / 70's (and loving it). The Beatles, Hendrix, Sly and the Family Stone, Eagles, Santana, Zappa, the Dead, Steely Dan, etc, etc, etc.

Right now, what I mostly listen to is MLB on XM.

Tim

I generally enjoy jazz and classical, as well as some of the music from my misspent youth in the 60's.

One CD that is currently getting extra playtime is "Kill to Get Crimson" by Mark Knopfler. It's one of those CD's that gets better with each playing.

Regards

Hah! Glad to see Can make the list--I've been a fan since I first heard Ege Bamyasi in the mid-70s. I was lucky enough to see Hoger Czukay perform on my birthday a few years ago. A great show, very sparsely attended.

What a great show for your birthday.. I saw a Can-related concert about 2 or 3 years ago.. Damo Suzuki performed with the instrumental post-rock group Cul de Sac. Great show, a lot of improvisation..

Do you have the album Czukay did with Jah Wobble called FULL CIRCLE (it's listed as Czukay, Wobble, Leibeziet)? Definately worth tracking down if you're into Can. Recorded around 1978 I think, so it has the same kind of dub influence that Jah had with PIL at the time.

-Mason

Top Bottom