What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I bought the Oragne Triad after reading this thread. I stopped after three things...

1) 6 pills a day, not too bad but still a good amount of pills
2) drink 1 gallon of water a day. I tend to comply with this regardless, but if I dont, what are the implications
3) This product has known cancer causing agents in the state of California.

So I suppose the search is on for another MVI

I bought the Oragne Triad after reading this thread. I stopped after three things...

1) 6 pills a day, not too bad but still a good amount of pills
2) drink 1 gallon of water a day. I tend to comply with this regardless, but if I dont, what are the implications
3) This product has known cancer causing agents in the state of California.

So I suppose the search is on for another MVI
Gees, I didn't want to hear that :(

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Gees, I didn't want to hear that :(

Actually it says. WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm. There are some other about four more sentences of warnings. I got through 1/4 of the bottle before I read the warnings...

Actually it says. WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm. There are some other about four more sentences of warnings. I got through 1/4 of the bottle before I read the warnings...

I wouldn't worry. It is probably a problem with long term use not half a bottle of pills. But one more reason to stick to the source of good vitamins. Food.

It's bad enough we can't even trust food anymore either. They seem to mess with everything don't they? I can't stand "they." :001_tongu

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I wouldn't worry. It is probably a problem with long term use not half a bottle of pills. But one more reason to stick to the source of good vitamins. Food.

It's bad enough we can't even trust food anymore either. They seem to mess with everything don't they? I can't stand "they." :001_tongu

I am not worried about the quantity I took, but more saddened that the product I was taking to better myself has the potential to harm me. I do enough of that to myself without having an intervention :p

Here's one of the responses I've read from Controlled Labs when they were asked about the Prop 65 Label. I left the quote entirely intact, so spelling/punctuation/grammar is what it is.

"this is a general proposition 65 warning (it is found on all of our products and many other supplements and consumer products that are sold in California and is not specific to this product for any reason) that is there for California. California has a law on their books that is much more strict than the federal laws. Proposition 65 governs 800 different chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer or reproductive harm. Many of these chemicals don't have testing standards, so any company who wants to avoid potential future litigation in the state of California is forced to put this warning on their product. The law is very strict and even an organic peach would have greater than the allowable amount of lead, therefore places like fresh food markets, coffee shops, etc all have this warning posted in the state of California. there is nothing in this product that has been tested by us or others to have show it requires a prop 65 warning, its on there for the above reason only."

I'm not trying to say you should trust CL or feel comfortable taking the supplement. I take OT, but I've done a lot of reading on Prop 65 and feel OK in my choice. Many other supplement manufacturers are posting the Prop 65 warning as well.

As I understand it, Prop 65 denotes exposure, not probability of injury or harm due to the exposure. So a company could be well within the FDA's guidelines, but still feel compelled as a "cover our butt" business decision to comply with Prop 65 simply because it's easier/cheaper/more streamlined than the alternatives. Kind of a crude way of explaining it, sorry, I'm sure there are others here who could explain it better.

Question to the people in CA - Does coffee and beer contain a Prop 65 warning? I don't know for sure, but I thought I heard it somewhere.

Aspirin is on the prop 65 list of bad chemicals. At least one cancer treatment is listed as cancer causing. How ironic.

... Truth doesn't require believers, it just is.
And anyone can claim that they are saying the truth. Truth be told, folks have a tendency to make stuff up, misremember or simply be mistaken.
...You are what we call a drinker of the kool-aid.
Hard for me to be insulted when you are sporting a grape-colored ring around your lips.

Like I said, hit the library, it's free. Do some research (I can tell you haven't), and then PM me and let me know what books you read and what you've learned. ....

That's the age-old defense of people who can't support their views.

...Also helps to only use a rag or sponge to wash with when you shower, as the detergents in soap wash off the D, ...

And there's the problem with just making stuff up, or just regurgitating made up stuff without worrying about credentials. It's made up.

Vitamin D formation from sunlight occurs in the stratum basale and stratum spinosum. which are inner layers of the dermis. The outer layer, the stratum corneum varies in thickness in the human body but is generally between 10-40 micrometers. After that, there are other layers...until finally you get to where vitamin D formation occurs.

This is an internet thread where people we don't know and can't even identify are providing advice about unregulated substances. I would hope we all know to take whatever we read here with a grain of salt.

I'll stand by my original interpretation of your postings. As I said, I appreciate the skepticism, I understand and agree with your points, however I have issue with what I perceive as a deliberate lack of tact.
Do you really appreciate the skepticism? Do you agree with my points? Really? I must have missed your commentary in this thread where you questioned anything that was stated by others. Please show me. I apologize if I did, but it is a large thread.

SO far this thread is basically. Everyone says whatever they want without even a thought to backing up what they say. WHATEVER, it's all good!
As for "positing the next global health craze". No, we're not. This stuff's been global for a century. ... Anavite or Orange Triad isn't a panacea.
Eating right has been global for some time. However, only relatively recently have vitamin companies been around. Has Anavite and Orange Triad been around GLOBALLY for a century? I don't think so, but I bet they would like to push global in this upcoming century. THAT'S the global issue that I'm addressing.
It's accepted knowledge that some forms of vitamins and minerals are superior to others in terms of the body's ability to effectively use them...just as it's accepted knowledge that the earth isn't flat.
Sure, some forms. But then are we to believe whatever anyone says about every form? What's so wrong with asking for a little evidence? And by the way, if you think the earth is round just because "everyone knows that", you owe it to yourself to prove it to yourself.

I haven't looked and I can't say that there's any peer reviewed work saying Centrum is inferior to other brands of vitamins, but if we go to the ingredient deck and check forms we can fairly easily dissect Centrum (since that's the brand you threw out there) and come to our own conclusions.
Centrum was a brand name that was brought up in the early history of this thread. I appreciate you taking your time to present some evidence. I'll look through your points and respond later. Again, thank you.
I'm sure you could invest some time and come up with some litany of rebuttal and contradicting abstracts and question the sources of those links, but let's not do that. ...

Uhm...? Wait a second. Why not? Are you saying you are not interesting in any information that might contradict the other information? Where's the skepticism?

All the salt can't be good for you!

Salt!!!! Ahh that brings up another point. This holds true for many things in the "supplement" craze as well as people following mainstream advice without fully understanding all the missing details. Salt is just one example now that I am reminded by mkornecki's post.

So we all cut back on salt intake. I do as well since salt/sodium is in just about everything these days and in high numbers. But wait a minute. How many of the average consumer know that there is a difference between plain salt/table salt and sodium that is found in commercial foods? You see, sodium, such as found in everything from breakfast cereal to canned Tuna and pretty much anything else you can think of is a little different than the salt in our shakers. But on the other hand, salt, like we have in most salt shakers, while not good for us either, in large quantities, does have essential ingredients. Or ingredient. This is Iodine.

You see, our bodies need Iodine and that is why most table salt is Iodized. Sodium is not. So in our efforts to cut back on salt due to media hype and our own quick to act even without all the information, we miss the important information. Over salting is bad. But some salt is needed.

Many people that cut back on salt are also health conscious in other ways which means they are probably working out. Sweating are we? Salt depletion!! We need to put some back. And what about that Iodine? Are we supplementing or eating seaweed and such? Sushi once per week anyone?

Yea...there's more to all of this than meets the eye. Internet information is great but don't only read one side of the story.

Do you really appreciate the skepticism? Do you agree with my points? Really? I must have missed your commentary in this thread where you questioned anything that was stated by others. Please show me. I apologize if I did, but it is a large thread.

SO far this thread is basically. Everyone says whatever they want without even a thought to backing up what they say. WHATEVER, it's all good!

Post #120 lists some of my thoughts.
Just because I'm not calling people out doesn't mean I don't research the stuff for myself. I would hope everyone else is doing the same.

Eating right has been global for some time. However, only relatively recently have vitamin companies been around. Has Anavite and Orange Triad been around GLOBALLY for a century? I don't think so, but I bet they would like to push global in this upcoming century. THAT'S the global issue that I'm addressing.

I'm talking about nutrition and health supplements. Snake oil to multivitamins and everything in between.

Sure, some forms. But then are we to believe whatever anyone says about every form? What's so wrong with asking for a little evidence? And by the way, if you think the earth is round just because "everyone knows that", you owe it to yourself to prove it to yourself.

Of course not. ...and... I think Earth is round because it's been proven beyond refute.

Uhm...? Wait a second. Why not? Are you saying you are not interesting in any information that might contradict the other information? Where's the skepticism?

Why Not is because it's not the "Debate the merits and proof of effective supplementation" thread. That is an argument that won't be won and will get this thread locked.

This is the "Those of you who take a multi what do you take?" thread. It presupposes the participants in the thread are on board with supplementing and therefore there's no merit to assuming anyone's trying to talk someone into taking supplements.

And yes, I'm interested in all sides of the subject, but I'm not into debating it here. In fact, I'm not really into debating it at all. I don't really care whether other people take a multi. I'm open to receiving and researching information, however. PM me if you want to go back and forth and I'll gladly trade info and philosophies with you. I'm not saying you don't have valid points, I'm saying, and have been all along, that there's a time and a place and a method.

Top Bottom