What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

LIF is quite pricey ( I believe AOR puts out better products cheaper) but a solid company nonetheless

LEF definitely charges a premium but then they do a lot of research and develop products with a lot of backing, e.g. their super selenium complex is fantastic! I also love the trace mineral complex. Their multi is a let down as the B-vits are not coenzymated.

Being in Australia, I don't have all the options open to me as I can only order from iherb.com
I am very happy with most of LEF's products and the others that I use so it's all good. Even "expensive" supplements are still relatively cheap and if they deliver a benefit (which can be purely preventative, doesn't have to be curative IMO) then it's all worth it.

What does AOR stand for and do they have a website?

AOR is Advanced Orthomolecular Research. Iherb carries them, albeit more expensive than at some other places.

Compare LEF and AOR's b-complex. The one I noticed about lef's b's is that they used a few forms of each, meaning you are not getting 100% of the superior form.

That LEF selenium is nice. You ever go on imminist forum? A lot of good info there

LEF definitely charges a premium but then they do a lot of research and develop products with a lot of backing, e.g. their super selenium complex is fantastic! I also love the trace mineral complex. Their multi is a let down as the B-vits are not coenzymated.

Being in Australia, I don't have all the options open to me as I can only order from iherb.com
I am very happy with most of LEF's products and the others that I use so it's all good. Even "expensive" supplements are still relatively cheap and if they deliver a benefit (which can be purely preventative, doesn't have to be curative IMO) then it's all worth it.

What does AOR stand for and do they have a website?

Last edited:
AOR is Advanced Orthomolecular Research. Iherb carries them, albeit more expensive than at some other places.

Compare LEF and AOR's b-complex. The one I noticed about lef's b's is that they used a few forms of each, meaning you are not getting 100% of the superior form.

That LEF selenium is nice. You ever go on imminist forum? A lot of good info there

I'll check out the imminist forums.

I looked at AOR products, didn't impress me much. Their B-complex has active B1,B6 and B12. The country life has more active forms and ive been told that of the total, 20% is active, which makes it a pretty potent source of active B-vits.

In an effort to become healthier, I purchased the orange triad vitamins, as recommended. Pretty reasonably priced on Amazon at $24.66 with subscribe and save.

Thank you OP!

Question for Illadelphia...

What's your recommended daily maintenance dosing for EPA/DHA in a healthy adult male? Should you take more if you have joint pain?

I've tried to dig this info out with Google, but I've found a wide range of dosing numbers all of which seem to come from pretty reputable sources. Some say 500/250 is good, some say a healthy adult should take at least 1.5g EPA daily. I've always just taken what's recommended on the label of whatever Omega supplement I've taken, but now I'm sort of doubting labels recommendations.

I see that Ortho Core contains green tea extract. Does that contain caffeine?

Some do, some don't. Not sure about the OC.

Not sure honestly. Usually when they contain caff, it's a small amount >30mg

So, I checked out the AOR website. They sell a green tea extract product with 700 mg of the extract and 7 mg caffeine per serving. Ortho Core has 140 mg of green tea extract. They don't list the caffeine content, but assuming it's the same extract, that works out to 1.4 mg per serving of Ortho Core. So there you go.

Question for Illadelphia...

What's your recommended daily maintenance dosing for EPA/DHA in a healthy adult male? Should you take more if you have joint pain?

I've tried to dig this info out with Google, but I've found a wide range of dosing numbers all of which seem to come from pretty reputable sources. Some say 500/250 is good, some say a healthy adult should take at least 1.5g EPA daily. I've always just taken what's recommended on the label of whatever Omega supplement I've taken, but now I'm sort of doubting labels recommendations.

For years as a nutritionist and a private trainer for myself or clients I've never counted numbers. I'll add a few fish oil pills (2-3) to any meal of mine that doesn't contain some type of dietary fat. I don't like fish in general (when you are dieting for a show and you are eating TONS of dry, tasteless canned tuna, it ruins fish in general for you)

I've seen Charles Poliquin (who is a top strength coach) advocate 20g a day! That's insane to me, but he gets results. In all honesty, i'd say about 4g per day (4 1g pills split over 2 meals). I eat a lot of avacado, natty pb, and walnuts/almonds so fish oil is secondary but always in rotation.

Illadelphia, do you know anything about Flora Multi Caps? Here are the specs. I'd just like to know if I'm wasting my money. I appreciate the time and effort you're putting into this thread. Thanks.

For years as a nutritionist and a private trainer for myself or clients I've never counted numbers. I'll add a few fish oil pills (2-3) to any meal of mine that doesn't contain some type of dietary fat. I don't like fish in general (when you are dieting for a show and you are eating TONS of dry, tasteless canned tuna, it ruins fish in general for you)

I've seen Charles Poliquin (who is a top strength coach) advocate 20g a day! That's insane to me, but he gets results. In all honesty, i'd say about 4g per day (4 1g pills split over 2 meals). I eat a lot of avacado, natty pb, and walnuts/almonds so fish oil is secondary but always in rotation.

Thanks, Man. That's what I was thinking on the NOW Ultra Omega 3. Two 2X daily. Hopefully, they don't mess me up like other fish oils have.

Ok, so now this place has me spending way too much time reading about freakin' vitamins. Which, given the nature of the web, is pretty interesting. (Apparently, some people don't want to take alpha lipoic acid because of their supposed mercury poisoning, while others do want to take it because of their supposed mercury poisoning. :biggrin1:) I just picked up the Source Naturals Life Force Multiple. I'll let you know if my vitality increases exponentially.

How useful is the "joint complex" in Orange Triad.? I was under the impression that the most recent research on glucosamine and chondroitin was disappointing.

Hopefully, they don't mess me up like other fish oils have.

I find that Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega doesn't cause the same kind of problems as other fish oils.

Last edited:
I don't recall anyone mentioning any "greens" supplements in this thread yet. I sometimes use the plain Greens+ by Genuine Health when I feel like I'm slacking on my fresh green veg intake. I know it's not even close to a substitute, but at least it gives me a modicum of peace of mind and that's part of the reason I use it. Any thoughts on greens supplements in general and the Genuine Health variety in particular?

Ok, so now this place has me spending way too much time reading about freakin' vitamins. Which, given the nature of the web, is pretty interesting. (Apparently, some people don't want to take alpha lipoic acid because of their supposed mercury poisoning, while others do want to take it because of their supposed mercury poisoning. :biggrin1:) I just picked up the Source Naturals Life Force Multiple. I'll let you know if my vitality increases exponentially.

How useful is the "joint complex" in Orange Triad.? I was under the impression that the most recent research on glucosamine and chondroitin was disappointing.

I find that Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega doesn't cause the same kind of problems as other fish oils.

I posted earlier I never was impressed with the joint formula. It's not label dressing, but it certainly is not a great measure for prevention. Source life is a great pick-up. Dollar for dollar, it is at the top of the list. The blend in it won't do anything but there are a few actives and $10 for 45 days is sweet.

I don't recall anyone mentioning any "greens" supplements in this thread yet. I sometimes use the plain Greens+ by Genuine Health when I feel like I'm slacking on my fresh green veg intake. I know it's not even close to a substitute, but at least it gives me a modicum of peace of mind and that's part of the reason I use it. Any thoughts on greens supplements in general and the Genuine Health variety in particular?

I mentioned them earlier and put my recommendation in. Last page or one prior I believe. I think the same way you do in that aspect. A greens supplement is imo a great way to fill in where I can't usually. AOR greens and berries(name may have changed) is a solid choice on the nitrate donors alone. Controlled Labs makes an Oximega greens that is affordable and tastes like spearmint, which is a delight considering most greens supps taste like crabgrass

Last edited:
Ok, so now this place has me spending way too much time reading about freakin' vitamins. Which, given the nature of the web, is pretty interesting.

Same here!

As per Illadelphia's recomendation I purchased the AOR Multi.

I was wondering what would be a good brand for Vit. C and Cranberry?

TIA

Thanks for all the helpful info. I used to take SuperNutrition Opti-Energy Packs. Dunno if they were any good, but they didn't seem to be doing much for me and so I felt like they were a waste of money. Plus, the "niacin flush" was annoying and seemed quite gimmicky:
$OP-Supp-Facts.gif$OP-Other-Ingred.gif

High ORAC fruit and berry blend - 250 mg

Blueberry, pomegranate, blackberry, raspberry, strawberry and cherry.

Organic greenfod blend included - 250 mg

Alfalfa l., spriulina h.

For the past year or so I've been taking Nature's Way Alive! one-a-day because they're cheap and easy. I see from your criteria that there's not much of worth to those Alive vitamins - maybe only a decent dose of a couple of vitamins?:
Recommendation: Take 1 tablet daily, preferably with food. As with any supplement, if you are taking medication consult your doctor before use. Not formulated for women or children. Do not exceed recommended use.
Supplement Facts:
Serving Size 1 TabletAmount/Serving% DV
Vitamin A7,500 IU150%
(50% [3,750 IU] as Vitamin A acetate and 50% [3,750 IU] as beta carotene)
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)175 mg292%
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol)1,000 IU250%
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl succinate)120 IU400%
Vitamin K (as phytonadione)80 mcg100%
Thiamin (as thiamin mononitrate)25 mg1,667%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2)25 mg1,471%
Niacin (as niacinamide)50 mg250%
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl)40 mg2,000%
Folic Acid400 mcg100%
Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin)100 mcg1,667%
Biotin325 mcg108%
Pantothenic Acid (as d-calcium pantothenate)40 mg400%
Calcium100 mg10%
(from Aquamin® calcified mineral source Red Algae Lithothamniom sp. [whole plant])
Iodine (as potassium iodide)150 mcg100%
Magnesium50 mg13%
(from Aquamin® calcified mineral source Red Algae Lithothamniom sp. [whole plant], as oxide)
Zinc (as zinc oxide)30 mg200%
Selenium (as sodium selenate)250 mcg357%
Copper (as copper sulfate)4 mg200%
Manganese (as manganese sulfate)5 mg250%
Chromium (as chromium picolinate)250 mcg208%
Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate)75 mcg100%
Potassium (as potassium chloride)5 mg<1%
Prostate Blend with Lycopene105 mg**
Saw Palmetto (berry); Tomato Extract (fruit) providing 1 mg (1,000 mcg) of lycopene
Orchard Fruits&#8482; Blend30 mg**
Pomegranate (seed); Açaí Extract (whole palm fruit); Juice Powders: Grape; Plum; Cranberry; Blueberry; Strawberry; Blackberry; Bilberry; Cherry; Apricot; Papaya; Orange; Pineapple
Garden Veggies&#8482; Juice Powder Blend30 mg**
Parsley; Kale; Spinach; Wheat Grass; Brussels Sprout; Asparagus; Broccoli; Cauliflower; Beet; Carrot; Cabbage; Garlic
Energy & Endurance Blend30 mg**
Siberian Eleuthero (root); Rhodiola Rosea Extract (root) standardized to 3% rosavins and 1% salidroside; Korean Ginseng (root); Gotu Kola (stem, leaf)
Cardiovascular Blend with Resveratrol20 mg**
Hawthorn (berry); Japanese Knotweed standardized to 50% resveratrol; Coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone)
Green Food/Spirulina Blend20 mg**
Spirulina (microalgae); Kelp/Bladderwrack (whole thallus); Alfalfa (leaf, stem); Barley Grass (grass); Dandelion (leaf); Wheat Grass (grass); Melissa (leaf); Lemon Grass (grass); Nettle (leaf); Blessed Thistle (stem, leaf, flower); Chlorella (broken-cell microalgae); Plantain (leaf); Blue Green Algae (microalgae); Cilantro (leaf)
Organic Mushroom Defense Blend20 mg**
Cordyceps; Reishi; Shiitake; Hiratake; Maitake; Yamabushitake; Himematsutake; Kawaratake; Chaga; Zhu Ling; Agarikon; Mesima
Digestive Enzyme Blend20 mg**
Concentrated enzyme formula (Protease I, Protease II, Peptizyme SP, Amylase, Lactase, Invertase, Lipase, Cellulase, Alpha Galactosidase); Betaine HCl; Bromelain (from pineapple); Papain (from papaya)
Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex20 mg**
(from lemon, orange, grapefruit, lime, tangerine) providing: Hesperidin, Naringin, Narirutin, Eriocitrin, Flavonols and Flavones
Choline (as choline bitartrate)20 mg**
Inositol20 mg**
Oat Beta Glucan Concentrate10 mg**
Rutin5 mg**
Boron (as amino acid chelate)1 mg (1,000 mcg)**
Lutein (from marigold)500 mcg**
&#8224;Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
**Daily Value (DV) not established.

Just ordered some Orange Triad, and I look forward to trying it out. I'm in my 40s and trying to get into better shape - weight lifting/strength 3-4 days a week and bike/run/whatever 2-3 days a week. I need all the help I can get recovery-wise and just to keep my nutrition in check. Thanks again for the info.

I have the OT on its way...but I just realized that the amount of Folic Acid is quite high (800mcg). That concerns me a little.

I might only take three pills a day instead of six. With all the other FA working its way into our diets from fortified grains (although I mostly eat whole grains) and other sources...it could easily make a person's intake of FA greater than 1000mcg, which I believe is widely considered an unhealthy amount.

**EDIT** I may be wrong about the dosing amount in OT. On Amazon, the label shot shows 800mcg of Folic Acid per serving size, but on the CL website the label shows the serving size (6 tabs) gives you 400mcg of Folic Acid. Which I'm much more comfortable taking. Maybe CL reformulated OT recently and it's not reflected on the Amazon page.

Last edited:
When the body has to use a double-enzymatic conversion to simply process a B vitamin, it becomes useless.

Quick example:

Cyanocobalamin (the inferior form of b12, widely used in many multis/drinks) is $400 a kilo. Methylcobalamin (which is the superior form, not widely used because many people don't know it is required) is $8,000 a kilo.

As per Illadelphia's recomendation I purchased the AOR Multi.

TIA

I too grabbed a bottle of AOR Multi. Problem is, The OP recommended the AOR Ortho Core product, which is a multi plus a bunch of other good stuff like antioxidant and phytonutrient complexes. I say "problem" because AOR Multi (Basics 3) has the cheap, inferior cyanocobalamin form of B12 instead of the more active methylcobalamin form, which Ortho Core uses. I don't understand why AOR would use different forms in the different products as they are both crazy expensive multis from the same company (seemingly) utilizing otherwise similar vitamin combinations and ratios. Makes me wonder what other ingredients they slacked on with the Multi Basics 3. I think the Multi's form of B6 pyridoxine is another cop-out, as Ortho uses pyroxidal 5 phosphate. Again, why the difference?!? If it's about money then I don't understand because these two products from the same company cost the same. BTW, I didn't notice the difference (between Multi Basics 3 vs Ortho Core and the different forms of B12 and 6) until after I'd already purchased it and broke the seal.

Illadelphia, other than the B12 and B6 slackage, is AOR Multi Basics 3 in line with what you'd consider a quality multi? And just how useless are the cyano and pyridoxine forms?

Top Bottom