What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

What do you recommend for children ages 5 - 10 years old? This gummy bear stuff is catchy, but I wonder.

I'll chime in real quick before Illa breaks it down.

My boys wrestle and in the off season we put them in competitive gymnastics so they are beaten up pretty bad. The one thing my wife and I did was just shove as much food in them as possible. Good foods and some bad foods too. We don't give them multi but we do give them fish oils with higher EFA's. My youngest has be diagnosed borderline autistic, he's 5 now. My brother is a autism researcher at Stanford and has talked about fish oils and brain development and both boys have been on fish oils for over a year. The best news was we were told that our 5 year old CAN be in regular kindergarten next school year and do not consider him borderline anymore. Was it part of the fish oils? Special schools we paid for? Or just maturity? Who knows but I stand by the use of fish oils and healthy diet.

But I think just having the little ones take something will create a habit of healthy choices.

Great stuff here. I was in the market for a new multi. I have been using One-A-Day for years, sams club fish oils, and every once in a while GNC shark cartilage (not sure if it really did anything). I am 6'1 270, lift weights on a regular basis, run 3 miles 2 days a week and take spinning classes the other 3 days. I have torn ligaments in my ankles and knees and have deteriorating vertebrea and a pinched sciatic nerve in my lower back. Needless to say my joints take a beating (working out and stretching seems to be the only thing that helps my back). I know losing a few pounds would be the best, I could probably get down to 245 and still look healthy, but I just love eating too much. Would you recommend something along the lines of the Orange Triad for someone in my shoes or would you choose another multi? Also would you recommend taking fish oils as well as taking these multis?

You have to watch the sourcing of shark cartilage. There are companies who do it through a process called "finning" that is utterly inhuman. As with everything, do your resource and check sources. OT is solid, no doubt. Topical celadrin works very well too. I recommend taking fish oils always with anything, the properties they hold are just begining to scratch the surface.

What do you recommend for children ages 5 - 10 years old? This gummy bear stuff is catchy, but I wonder.

see below

I'll chime in real quick before Illa breaks it down.

My boys wrestle and in the off season we put them in competitive gymnastics so they are beaten up pretty bad. The one thing my wife and I did was just shove as much food in them as possible. Good foods and some bad foods too. We don't give them multi but we do give them fish oils with higher EFA's. My youngest has be diagnosed borderline autistic, he's 5 now. My brother is a autism researcher at Stanford and has talked about fish oils and brain development and both boys have been on fish oils for over a year. The best news was we were told that our 5 year old CAN be in regular kindergarten next school year and do not consider him borderline anymore. Was it part of the fish oils? Special schools we paid for? Or just maturity? Who knows but I stand by the use of fish oils and healthy diet.

But I think just having the little ones take something will create a habit of healthy choices.

Excellent post good sir. I remember reading about the miners several years back that were killed (virginia i believe?) and one lived. The ONLY physiological difference was that he took several grams of fish oil per day, which they attributed to imprived lung function and such. Was it the key factor? Probably not, but it sure helped!

What do you recommend in regards to protein?

I previously worked for Xtreme Formulations for several years. The owner Dave, is the benchmark for quality in an industry concerned with cheap formulas and poorly sourced chinese protein. XF is 100% US sourced and used by some of the biggest names in the industry (Patrick Arnold, Alan Aragon to name drop a few)

His Ultra Peptide 2.0 sets a flavor standard. People look at it and say "9g of fat?". When you use a shelf-stable EFA as well as sunflower oil (research showing it's comparison to olive oil in health qualities) fat makes little difference. His lemon creme pie and cinnamon roll are the only two proteins that will never leave my rotation. YMMV, but knowing someone personally you know what they bring to the table.

My top 3 picks:

1) AOR Orthocore
2) Controlled Labs Orange Triad
3) Gaspari Nutrition Anavite

So, assuming for the sake of argument that I decide to take vitamin advice I read on a web forum from some anonymous guy (presumably) whom I’ve never met and about whom I know nothing. :w00t: Where would I be able to buy, or at least look at, these products?

So, assuming for the sake of argument that I decide to take vitamin advice I read on a web forum from some anonymous guy (presumably) whom I’ve never met and about whom I know nothing. :w00t: Where would I be able to buy, or at least look at, these products?

Amazon.com
Bodybuilding.com

.02 here

A D E and K are fat soluble and can actually be overdosed depending on the how much is activated (1,25-D3...etc). So tread carefully when going with a superdose. Otherwise, beyond a normal multi your body does a pretty good job of getting rid of the surplus. I don't remember who first said it, but the quote goes something like, America has the most expensive urine in the world. However, common use changes all the time, and I do not discount personal experiences. Who ever heard of glucosamine until 10-15 years ago?
Personally, exercise and diverse diet are my goals. I throw on a multi (no iron) for when I fail the latter. The only multi that I couldn't handle was 1aday...stomach did not agree with it on a few occasions.

Getrippednutrition.com

Trae is awesome

Nutraplanet.com is my go to

I used them for awhile until they told me that they had no quality control in place to check their raws. Which is utterly disgusting and highly illegal. They "got into compliance" after GMP was mandated. Sam Hong the owner cares little about the people that helped him along the way.

I used them for awhile until they told me that they had no quality control in place to check their raws. Which is utterly disgusting and highly illegal. They "got into compliance" after GMP was mandated. Sam Hong the owner cares little about the people that helped him along the way.

Kind of not surprising to hear. I've been an AM member for many years, and NP has always treated me well, but I've seen some things happen on the board that I don't like. I only visit the forum on occasion to read input on products and see what's new. I'm wondering if what you said has anything to do with the disappearance of their protein line? I've tried to switch shops before, but always come back.

Kind of not surprising to hear. I've been an AM member for many years, and NP has always treated me well, but I've seen some things happen on the board that I don't like. I only visit the forum on occasion to read input on products and see what's new. I'm wondering if what you said has anything to do with the disappearance of their protein line? I've tried to switch shops before, but always come back.

What bothers me with AM is they only promote sponsors, so any up and coming company has no chance.

Flora Multi Caps. Don't have an image of the label/panel but here's a link to the info. I'll be looking into some of your recommendations but in the meantime was wondering if I've been flushing my money down the toilet for the last couple years using these Floras. Thanks.

I noticed a couple of posts in this thread with concern to Vitamin E. I've been taking Multis and some other supps for most of my adult life. It try to stay informed on the latest schools of thought on nutrition even if I frequently don't practice what's preached. The Vitamin E thing has been vexing over the years. One day its great, then it's the natural d-alpha form that's good but the artificial dl-alpha type is bad, then it's all bad, then it's all good again. Bah!

I thought I'd post these links for anyone who wants the 'latest' take on Vitamin E and/or vitamin supplementation in general. This is from the Havard School of Public Health, which I consider to be a sound and reputable source.

Here's some interesting and recent info on the Vitamin E subject. I found their overall take on Vitamin supplementation and their take on Multis to be informative, too.

I'm going to give OT a try when my Mega Men is gone. It's WAY cheaper and now that the OP has pointed it out and I've researched a bit, it seems like a vastly superior product. I like the idea of Joint & Digestion components, too...IF the dosing is clinically relevant. And I'm pretty happy to learn about NOW Ultra Omega 3 w/ enteric coating. I've been flipping and flopping on fish oil for years, often taking Flax instead, because of the horrendous burps the fish oil gives me.

I use Country Life co-enzymated B-complex caps. It has a nice supply of active forms of B vitamins and is very cost effective as I only use one per day, not two.
My multi-mineral is Life Extension (LEF) "Only Trace Minerals" and I take a seperate selenium supplement, LEF "Super Selenium Complex".
I also take Healthy Origins Vit.D and LEF Vit.C seperately.

So, I get mostly active, ready for use B vitamins and excellent, usable forms of trace minerals and I take 200-400mcg selenium per day (LEF's product is the only one to provide all 4 usable forms of selenium) in addition to the 5,000IU Vit D and 1g Vit C.

I have also started munching on a few bitter apricot kernels every day. These contain something called amygdalin.

I use Country Life co-enzymated B-complex caps. It has a nice supply of active forms of B vitamins and is very cost effective as I only use one per day, not two.
My multi-mineral is Life Extension (LEF) "Only Trace Minerals" and I take a seperate selenium supplement, LEF "Super Selenium Complex".
I also take Healthy Origins Vit.D and LEF Vit.C seperately.

So, I get mostly active, ready for use B vitamins and excellent, usable forms of trace minerals and I take 200-400mcg selenium per day (LEF's product is the only one to provide all 4 usable forms of selenium) in addition to the 5,000IU Vit D and 1g Vit C.

I have also started munching on a few bitter apricot kernels every day. These contain something called amygdalin.

LIF is quite pricey ( I believe AOR puts out better products cheaper) but a solid company nonetheless

Top Bottom