What's new

Those of you who take a multi, what do you use?

I'm in the camp of those who believe that additional vitamins are pointless and a waste of money if you eat a balanced diet.

I think a balanced diet is a good start, but the nutrient density of food is not as high as it used to be. I try to eat as much organic and local as possible and have a garden.

My multi is Garden of Life Vitamin Code for Men 50 and Wiser as well as Udo's oil.

Thanks for offering your opinion!

I'm in the camp of those who believe that additional vitamins are pointless and a waste of money if you eat a balanced diet.

Trouble is, that's a circular definition.
A balanced diet is one that includes all the nutrients and vitamins you need.
So by definition you are automatically correct. Additional vitamins are pointless and a waste of money if you eat a balanced diet.

Knowing if you have a balanced diet is the problem!

(Also worth mentioning that vitamin D is not really a vitamin, and you can't get enough of it from food. I'm sure there are other gotchas.)

Costco..
Half a pill 1x a day..less absorption if taken a whole

Attachments

• $0409121513.jpg
    $0409121513.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 297
I was curious...

Types of Chelates:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelates_in_animal_nutrition#Particular_types_of_Chelates
http://www.rd2.co.nz/uploads/Conversations on chelation and mineral nutrition.pdf

Albion nutrition's patent is for a type of chelation. i.e. a patented amino acid chelation:
http://www.albionminerals.com/human-nutrition/quality/traacs-ft-ir-analysis

I know there's some medical professionals and at least one med student in the crowd who might be able to clarify, correct or confirm.

I was mistaken, upon doing this, I looked at yours on the vitamin's and another I had up for minerals, my apologies. Albion owns the AA patent, you are correct.

That is the vitamin I usually take too - Ultra Vita Man from PP. Curious about your thoughts on it. Was thinking of putting in another order today along with some Vit D.

It's pretty bad. There is not one thing, from the vitamins to th minerals, to the complexes that I'd sign off on if I was giving this to a client.

Trouble is, that's a circular definition.
A balanced diet is one that includes all the nutrients and vitamins you need.
So by definition you are automatically correct. Additional vitamins are pointless and a waste of money if you eat a balanced diet.

Knowing if you have a balanced diet is the problem!

(Also worth mentioning that vitamin D is not really a vitamin, and you can't get enough of it from food. I'm sure there are other gotchas.)

Good point. Most people think their diet is on point when in actuality, many are wrong. A multi, as I stated above is simply nutritional assurance as myself, who for years designed diets for people of all goals (from weigh loss/gain to those competing in shows) finds it almost impossible to get everything from food. Especially given the work and family demands on most people.

I am in the process of searching for a multi. I started with centrum, just bought a store brand men's multi (wegmans). My goals are general health, to supplement my diet, which tends toward the less processed. I also take an omega supplement on my doctor's recommendation, which is currently megared. I took nordic naturals fish oil, but it was pretty pricey and I had to take a couple capsules. I havent been able to consult with my doc, so any opinions would be great.

As far as what I am looking to do, I am 45, and fairly active, and I want to promote my general health. I also have some knee issues, so something to help that would be great as well.

My problem is the expense of a good multi. With all the other expenses in life, you know like kids and shaving, and shaving............I have decided to eat fresh veggies and fruits and switched to multi-grain breads when we do eat bread. My neighbor is a farmer so we do get a lot of fresh produce. Go organic on as many other things as my local grocer carries and stay away from bad stuff. All my other money pays bills and buys diapers.

I take Beyond Any Multiple (BAM) by Longevity Plus. They make a bunch of other wellness products as well. I used to take their essential daily defense too, but have since stopped. My fish oil is EFA Sirt-Supreme by Biotics research.

Most multi-vitamin discussions go the same way as this thread. There is so much snake oil in the supplement/vitamin market it's almost impossible to determine what is actually true. If anyone has actual independent tests or recommendations I would appreciate seeing them. Everything I've ever seen is manufacturer or retailer sponsored. Right now I'm only taking D3 & fish oil. There is actual research data on the value of these. I'd like to take a multi I just can't justify it with what I've seen.

Can you comment on the differences between these 3 and why you like them? Which would be best for general overall health vs sports etc. Thanks!

I've worked in the supplement industry up until last year for a little over 4 years, was responsible for formula modifications and alpha-testing as well.

Alot of people may argue against it's necessity, but as nutritional insurance, it's something I always use.

My top 3 picks:

1) AOR Orthocore
2) Controlled Labs Orange Triad
3) Gaspari Nutrition Anavite

I notice the Controlled Labs and Gaspari products are tablets which mean reduced bio-availability and increased processing which usually means heat (which destroys nutrient quality), even if it's the heat from smashing it into tablet form.

I am in the process of searching for a multi. I started with centrum, just bought a store brand men's multi (wegmans). My goals are general health, to supplement my diet, which tends toward the less processed. I also take an omega supplement on my doctor's recommendation, which is currently megared. I took nordic naturals fish oil, but it was pretty pricey and I had to take a couple capsules. I havent been able to consult with my doc, so any opinions would be great.
As far as what I am looking to do, I am 45, and fairly active, and I want to promote my general health. I also have some knee issues, so something to help that would be great as well.

I've always recommended topical celadrin and cissus for joint and arthritic needs. For you I'd look into Orange Triad as it's pretty comprehensive for the price.

I notice the Controlled Labs and Gaspari products are tablets which mean reduced bio-availability and increased processing which usually means heat (which destroys nutrient quality), even if it's the heat from smashing it into tablet form.

There have been independent tests I've seen done on OT, using a ph designed to replicate the stomach acids and it's breakdown was truly not far behind a capsule. My recommendation is always AOR first, but the price certainly pushes some away.

Can you comment on the differences between these 3 and why you like them? Which would be best for general overall health vs sports etc. Thanks!

Best quality, best overall- Orthocore
Best bang for buck- Orange Triad
Best Sports- Anavite.

Anavite has clinically validated doses of Carnosyn (beta ala-9) and LCLT, both licensed from their respective patent holders.

Thanks for the analysis of your top three, and the tablet study. I hadn't heard that yet.

What do you think about the Garden of Life Vitamin Code products?

Thank you.

I eat a diet rich in fish, lean white meats, fresh vegetables, whole grains and dairy; and feel I still need to use a multi as I am very active. Riding my bike to work everyday as well as weight training, running and other activities- I supplement my diet with Twinlab Animal Pack, first press flax seed oil, protein powder and good old city tap water. The difference might be mental, but I feel many times better after a day taking my supplements as opposed to days missing any of these ingredients.

any comment on Megared vs the other omega sources out there? I switched from Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega because of the dosage size.

Top Bottom