What's new

Aggressive Razor

From one newbie to another my suggestion is that of you're getting razor burn, cuts, irritation, etc. you would be best served by working on your technique. WTG and then ATG is very aggressive and is a recipe for ingrown hairs and irritation if you ask me. Try going WTG then XTG from two directions and that will get you pretty close. Try that for a few weeks and really focus on mastering a consistent and comfortable shave versus a baby smooth shave.

Ive been doing this for only a month and all im concerned about really is having awesome shaves. Forgrt BBS for one second because if You think about it, after 5pm youre back to scruff. I also would recommend watching all of Mantic59s videos on YouTube. One mans opinion.

I have always shaved with a downward pass then an upward pass then an under the chin sideways pass to get rid of all hair trace. Ok that was with Gillette Fusion mac spec ops but if i get rid of all the hair on my cheeks but not quite under my jaw and so so on my top lip then you get un even stubble growth . If i cant remove all hair every shave then i'd go back to my vibrating Gillette.
My last shave was better than i first thought. Yeh i had a patch of about 5 blood spots but they dissapeared and i was about 95% smooth.
I think the thing some one should invent is a lubra strip for de razors..yay

Can't see how this matters at all. For the record, I only have vintage razors.

What if some one you once knew told you that they once owned a razor that had before been owned by a man who had at one time told them that beofore he had that razor...ha.... I just dont do second hand grooming items :)

From one newbie to another my suggestion is that of you're getting razor burn, cuts, irritation, etc. you would be best served by working on your technique. WTG and then ATG is very aggressive and is a recipe for ingrown hairs and irritation if you ask me. Try going WTG then XTG from two directions and that will get you pretty close. Try that for a few weeks and really focus on mastering a consistent and comfortable shave versus a baby smooth shave.

Ive been doing this for only a month and all im concerned about really is having awesome shaves. Forgrt BBS for one second because if You think about it, after 5pm youre back to scruff. I also would recommend watching all of Mantic59s videos on YouTube. One mans opinion.

+1

I think after reading every ones views and researching the different razors i didnt really nead a more aggressive razor. What i need is a better razor and a better technique. I'm hoping the EJ89 is a petter piece of kit than the Merkur. I'm not impressed with the Merkur blades or razors.
If i still have trouble with the EJ89 getting through hair against the grain then i'd say i do need an aggressive beast.
My Gillette mac doo dah slices through that stuff..... Thanks

You nailed it. As I was reading the thread from beginning I was wondering when that realization would come. I agree that you should try things for yourself and a long handle is nice. But everyone here is always cautious when people are looking for "aggressive" razors and sharper blades to get the elusive 2-pass BBS. As others have said and you have seen now, the secret always lies in technique over tools. There is a lot of wisdom (especially for newcomers) in picking a razor and a good blade variety and not switching anything for several months while you develop your prep routine and technique. That said, you still need to dulfill the RAD! Welcome and enjoy your shaves!

+1 again. I have seen friends of mine go after ALL the hair instead of just trying to get used to the razor and just shave what they can, and it comes out HORRIBLY.

I have been lucky, I finish and it's not BBS at all, decent amount of stubble left probably, I could probably even get more off with my cartridge, but I'm not trying to tear open my face, and every day I do it, I can feel less stubble.

Going ATG is very hard for me now, I admit I am able to do it on one cheek, but my other grows so weird that I can't even go ATG.

One huge difference that seems to be making my shaves better than my friends is that they are trying to get it all and do ATG on their first few shaves whereas I waited a long time to even attempt XTG, I think people compare it to their previous cartridge and that shouldn't be done until your technique is down.

+1 again. I have seen friends of mine go after ALL the hair instead of just trying to get used to the razor and just shave what they can, and it comes out HORRIBLY.

I have been lucky, I finish and it's not BBS at all, decent amount of stubble left probably, I could probably even get more off with my cartridge, but I'm not trying to tear open my face, and every day I do it, I can feel less stubble.

Going ATG is very hard for me now, I admit I am able to do it on one cheek, but my other grows so weird that I can't even go ATG.

One huge difference that seems to be making my shaves better than my friends is that they are trying to get it all and do ATG on their first few shaves whereas I waited a long time to even attempt XTG, I think people compare it to their previous cartridge and that shouldn't be done until your technique is down.

Some thing els worth mentioning. I've always shaved against the grain and ive never had a rash or any problems with it but there are some people who cannot shave ATG because of irritation. I think its a DNA thing :) Maybe XTG is the best they can hope for.
Part of me is thinking ,go back to your Gillette vibrating thingie and use all the pre creams and brush n so on but i have a massive stockpile of blades now, 50 Feathers/ untold Derby's/ 20 Merkur's , so i'll soldier on and stick with it, as barbaric as DE shaving is :/

job15:
You're missing out on some great vintage razors, IMHO. Razors are like the silverware in restaurants. They can be cleaned and sterilized, and ready for the next customer. My Gem 1912 was a steal, looks like new, and shaves like a dream.

Wayne

job15:
You're missing out on some great vintage razors, IMHO. Razors are like the silverware in restaurants. They can be cleaned and sterilized, and ready for the next customer. My Gem 1912 was a steal, looks like new, and shaves like a dream.

Wayne

Thats why i dont eat out :/ jk.... Your rite.

I have only been wet shaving for 35 years so i probably don't know much about it yet. I recently purchased a Truefitt and Hill Carlton. It is fairly aggressive- ok quite aggressive. I like the Merkur Vision but it is too big for me to get under my nose, i recently shaved off my goatee and discovered the size problem. Anything more aggressive than the T and H might be a mistake. As someone mentioned practice and technique takes time, and that is true. I think Merkur makes the heads on the Truefitt and Hill. If you crave aggressive try a straight razor, it will give you the best shave possible, the only downside is a steep learning curve and bleeding

Top Bottom