What's new

Aggressive Razor

this is a very odd thread. The EJ DE89 is a great razor, but it absolutely milder than an HD. I don't think it will give you what you're looking for

this is a very odd thread. The EJ DE89 is a great razor, but it absolutely milder than an HD. I don't think it will give you what you're looking for

I might have to return it then , after ive used it of course. I have dense facial hair, i have to much hair , i have to shave my feet, nose,ears,shoulders,biceps i even trim my knuckles. Basically every part of me :/ too much info?

You sound like a good candidate for the Slim-V Flat Top. I have a dense, slow growing curly beard and find the Slim-V works best.

Wow thats a lovely razor, its beyond my price range at the moment. One day when ive mastered the art ill spend untold cash on one ..thx

One other good thing about the Merkur Vision. Is that although it's very expensive, if you ever have a problem with it, send it in to Dovo-Merkur and they'll replace it for free with a brand new one. Just e-mail them before sending it in so they give you the right information about how to send it in. And they expect that you were maintaining it per the instructions in the box. It does require more maintenance than some other razors. So once you make the move to the Vision, you have a razor for as long as they'll replace it for free anytime it breaks. So far, anyone that returns one gets a brand new one as a replacement. I don't know what other razor that can be said about.

I started DE shaving with the Merkur Progress, outgrew it and moved up to the Vision. I considered the Futur, but that razor starts and ends with aggressive settings. I like something that can go both very light and very aggressive too. So I can use the razor for anything I want to shave, even for times or places I don't want getting an aggressive shave. I've got respect for the Futur, it's just not for me though. If you get a Futur, be sure to read about how to handle it SAFELY. Many men have shed blood because they failed to handle it properly. And with the Futur, you've got to be careful even when adjusting it.

I took the razor blade out after the first use i washed it and the razor then replaced back into the Merkur. Either i didnt tighten it up properly or the thread is all wrong :)
What?

+1. What?

I think after reading every ones views and researching the different razors i didnt really nead a more aggressive razor. What i need is a better razor and a better technique. I'm hoping the EJ89 is a petter piece of kit than the Merkur. I'm not impressed with the Merkur blades or razors.
If i still have trouble with the EJ89 getting through hair against the grain then i'd say i do need an aggressive beast.
My Gillette mac doo dah slices through that stuff..... Thanks

Double what?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. What?

Double what?

Doo dah , as in ,"yankee doodle went to town DOO DAH DO DAH" see. Instead of saying mac 2 mac 4 mac 22 whatever you can just say mac doo dah, a doo dah can be anything btw :) youve been schooled

Im of Greek (mediterranean) descent, and have a very, very, coarse, dense Beard......I've been through, adjustables(progress, slim), slants(37c), open comb, closed comb 34C, 23C......they all shave great once you get used to them, however, nothing, and I meant NOTHING has given me the close, irritation free, carefree shave that the DE89 gives me...so much so, that I've sold everything, and just use the DE89..handle style is irrelevant to me..I have the barley, and lined versions..I also use straight, but that's a whole other ball o wax...more a hobby...

As for agression, the razor will give you weepers if you're careless, which means it reaches skin...if it reaches skin, that means it shaves close enough to give you a bbs shave, period! End of story! As do most razors...for me, this one just does so more comfortably than the rest....why woukd I want to have to worry about needing to be overly careful with an overly aggressive razor? Paired with a feather blade, nothing has shaved me as well............I guess with long 4 or 5 days growth, you may want the option of an adjustable, wide open, or an r41 or straight so that you can avoid the frustration of long whiskers clogging the razor, but aside from those rare occasions, the DE89 is it for me.......

Regards

.....for aggressiveness.... use the R41........ she is wicked brutal temptress...

..........she'll leave you bloodied, but you'll keep coming back.......

Im of Greek (mediterranean) descent, and have a very, very, coarse, dense Beard......I've been through, adjustables(progress, slim), slants(37c), open comb, closed comb 34C, 23C......they all shave great once you get used to them, however, nothing, and I meant NOTHING has given me the close, irritation free, carefree shave that the DE89 gives me...so much so, that I've sold everything, and just use the DE89..handle style is irrelevant to me..I have the barley, and lined versions..I also use straight, but that's a whole other ball o wax...more a hobby...

As for agression, the razor will give you weepers if you're careless, which means it reaches skin...if it reaches skin, that means it shaves close enough to give you a bbs shave, period! End of story! As do most razors...for me, this one just does so more comfortably than the rest....why woukd I want to have to worry about needing to be overly careful with an overly aggressive razor? Paired with a feather blade, nothing has shaved me as well............I guess with long 4 or 5 days growth, you may want the option of an adjustable, wide open, or an r41 or straight so that you can avoid the frustration of long whiskers clogging the razor, but aside from those rare occasions, the DE89 is it for me.......

Regards
Thanks for that, i was considering returning my DE89 upon arrival but ill try it out now. Ill post my results after i use it, should be tomorrow.

Thanks for that, i was considering returning my DE89 upon arrival but ill try it out now. Ill post my results after i use it, should be tomorrow.

DE89 is one you should keep even if you are not sure about it when you first use it. It is well made and the fit and finish is top notch. It is one DE that you will return to again and again over time. I don't think I will ever sell mine. I do not use mine very often but when I do, I am always impressed with the results.

Some thing els im not sure about : When i've had a shave with a new blade , should i wash the blade n razor dry everything and then replace the blade to the razor or should i wash n dry the blade and place it back into the packaging. It might be a stupid question but i think rinsing the blade n razor and just leaving it to dry cant be good for the blade?

Some thing els im not sure about : When i've had a shave with a new blade , should i wash the blade n razor dry everything and then replace the blade to the razor or should i wash n dry the blade and place it back into the packaging. It might be a stupid question but i think rinsing the blade n razor and just leaving it to dry cant be good for the blade?

Don't be afraid to ask ANY question. A good question is any question you do not know the answer to.....

Everyone handles how they treat their razors differently. There is no set "this is right" rule when it comes to how you maintain your shaving tools.

I have always removed the blade, cleaned the razor, wiped it dry and stored the razor with the blade out of it. This was what I was taught to do by my father 45 years ago and I have always stuck with this method. This method seems to work very well for me as I have razors I bought 40 + years ago that look like they just came out of the package today.

I do not wipe the blade. I drop it on a towel, fold a corner of the towel over the blade and press to remove excess water. Then I store the blade separate from the razor.

I may have anywhere from 5 to 8 different brands of blades open at a time. I have 6 empty blade wrappers marked 1 though 6 for the number of shaves on the blade sitting on that wrapper. As I use a blade it moves down the row until it gets to the end where I will evaluate whether it gets 86ed or I continue to use it. I know I have gotten 8 maybe 10 shaves out of a blade but I only count to 6 because I only have room for 6 wrappers on the counter.

proxy.php

Don't be afraid to ask ANY question. A good question is any question you do not know the answer to.....

Everyone handles how they treat their razors differently. There is no set "this is right" rule when it comes to how you maintain your shaving tools.

I have always removed the blade, cleaned the razor, wiped it dry and stored the razor with the blade out of it. This was what I was taught to do by my father 45 years ago and I have always stuck with this method. This method seems to work very well for me as I have razors I bought 40 + years ago that look like they just came out of the package today.

I do not wipe the blade. I drop it on a towel, fold a corner of the towel over the blade and press to remove excess water. Then I store the blade separate from the razor.

I may have anywhere from 5 to 8 different brands of blades open at a time. I have 6 empty blade wrappers marked 1 though 6 for the number of shaves on the blade sitting on that wrapper. As I use a blade it moves down the row until it gets to the end where I will evaluate whether it gets 86ed or I continue to use it. I know I have gotten 8 maybe 10 shaves out of a blade but I only count to 6 because I only have room for 6 wrappers on the counter.

proxy.php

Thanks for the advise. I think washing, drying the blade then placing the blade back into its paper wrap sound like the most reasonable thing to do.

For my money, blades are disposable; it's not going to be in the razor more than a week or so anyway, so I just rinse after my shave, shake it out, and let it dry. After three or four shaves, I toss the blade. No need to take it out between shaves, IMO.

Hi ppl, I got my Edwin Jagger DE89L today. Its a lovely piece of metal. Much nicer than the Merkur HD i was using.
So i just had a shave with it. Bering in mind im quite new to this. I'm right handed with a razor and the right side of my face is fuc*ed to put it mildly. Under my jaw on the right where i go against the grain, i have lots of blood spots and soreness. The left side of my face , the side i have to reach across to is perfect, nice n close. Obviously my technique is rubbish. I also found an ingrowing hair which ive never had before, it was just a scratch away from the surface.Feeling under my jaw its as smooth as a baby's butt, but its sore.
I think the answer might be hot towels . Or maybe i should just try and think about what im doing a bit more. Maybe i should lay off the feathers for a while until i can be trusted with them :)..?

On refelction though, thats the closest shave ive had. Its the first time my top lip is 100% smooth, 2 passes, wtg & atg. Maybe there is hope ..

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you got the razor. I'm new myself so, yeah it takes time. You should start a new thread and let us know how you are doing. Enjoy the shaves.

From one newbie to another my suggestion is that of you're getting razor burn, cuts, irritation, etc. you would be best served by working on your technique. WTG and then ATG is very aggressive and is a recipe for ingrown hairs and irritation if you ask me. Try going WTG then XTG from two directions and that will get you pretty close. Try that for a few weeks and really focus on mastering a consistent and comfortable shave versus a baby smooth shave.

Ive been doing this for only a month and all im concerned about really is having awesome shaves. Forgrt BBS for one second because if You think about it, after 5pm youre back to scruff. I also would recommend watching all of Mantic59s videos on YouTube. One mans opinion.

I'm not really interested in the old ones, because they are not new. Maybe a murderer used to own it? :) Many thanks in advance /// Also i would not want an adjustable razor either....

Yes, it's hard shaving with a vintage three-piece. When you hold it in front of the mirror you can see all of your razor's previous owner's victims in the reflection.

Your rite about experimentimg and trying new things. I do the same with every interest i have until i get the best set up i can afford. I'd like to try a cut throat razor one day but im not sure if you can shave upwards with them? against the grain, plus it seems a bit extreme, maybe post doomsday would be the rite time for that behaviour haha ...

No it's better to get one now so you have a weapon to fight the coming zombies with. ;)

Top Bottom