What's new

Aggressive Razor

That Merkur slant just looks squ wiff to me , i cant deal with un symmetrical stuff ...You are rite though , i should wait and bide my time, but i wont be told :) Thanks for the advise

I think you should buy a Merkur 39C. It's a slant razor, which makes it more aggressive. You have to be respectful of it, meaning light pressure and close attention to your strokes. It will behave differently than you current razor, but at the end of the day it's still a DE razor and you're still dragging a blade across your face prepped with shaving cream. You might cut yourself, but you might not.

I see the logic behind perfecting your shaves with your current razor before getting another one. However, if you're curious as to whether another razor can give you better shaves, go for the Merkur 39C. You'll get the long handle and more aggressive razor you're after. Just be patient, and if you get tired of it you can always put it on the shelf for a while and come back to it later (or put it on the B/S/T and someone will buy it from you).

You are 100% correct but, i will buy a razor with a longer handle no matter what ,so i might as well try to buy what i think will do me for years to come. Thanks fo ur advise...

I used one razor for several years ... Track II and then I used another razor for several more years Mach 3. I got what I thought were good shaves. And I have been Wet Shaving for years.

Then I decided I wanted something different.

And looked into Straights. But, I found many other wonderous things when I went looking such as the fact that they actually make a shaving soap other than Williams and the fact that there is a Shaving Brush made out of something other than Boars Hair (and I like my Boars Hair Brush).

I took the plunge into Straight Razor Shaving first and had to buy lots of stuff to go along with it and I am still Shaving with the Straight. However, when I don't have the time I needed something that would not take as long and that is when I went into DE and SE Safetu Razors.

What is a "Good" Razor or the "Best" Razor is like saying one Razor Blade is better than another when YMMV.

So when you are consumed by RAD it is not like you are assuming that the technique or blade have nothing to do with The Art of Shaving, it is the desire to experiment and try something different and see how it does the job instead of reaching for the next multiblade cartridge at the end of the week.

I could use a Plastic DE and get a close shave but, the experience is different if I use a Neillite 400. And an Old Open Comb Gillette will shave differently than a 1912 Gem.

While he may still need to work on his technique it may be that his preference is in longer handle razors. So a 38C has a longer handle, I have heard it said that the Razor Heads on the Merkurs are the same and the difference is in the handles. Now you would have to confirm that as a 39C has a long handle and it is a Slant.

So Good Luck in Your Quest.

But, Nothin Beats a Straight... or an Open Comb Razor.

Your rite about experimentimg and trying new things. I do the same with every interest i have until i get the best set up i can afford. I'd like to try a cut throat razor one day but im not sure if you can shave upwards with them? against the grain, plus it seems a bit extreme, maybe post doomsday would be the rite time for that behaviour haha ...

Get a Merkur Vision. It can go very easy and very aggressive. It's adjustable, long and heavy. It can be any razor you want it to be for years of happy use.

Wow thats a lovely razor, its beyond my price range at the moment. One day when ive mastered the art ill spend untold cash on one ..thx

I know you said you wanted to skip the adjustable, but I wouldn't be doing you justice if I didn't encourage you to look at a Merkur Futur. In my opinion, it is a modern work of art and shaves beautifully. The heft is wonderful to behold in the hand and it really destroys whiskers. It will also grow with your techniques and preferences, over time. It will allow you to adjust your blade exposure to a setting that's perfect for you. Just sayin'.....

That aside, if you really just want an aggressive razor, the R41 and slants are always mentioned as tops in that regard; I would go that route. There's also shavettes/straights--those are certainly aggressive.

Thats a good looking razor, i was against adjustables because i thought moving parts could break down. If i can find one at a lower price than the first glance i just had i may well go that way...many thanks

Just an update... I tried to buy the Merkur Futur but everywhere is out of stock unless you want to pay silly prices. So i bought the Edwin Jagger DE89. After untold reading in different forums the EJ89 with Feathers is what ppl love. I will stick with that combo for the rest of the year... Thanks for all your tips

Don't be afraid of the R41. I've only been DE shaving since 1/23/12 and I love my R41. I even use a feather in it occasionally.

Just an update... I tried to buy the Merkur Futur but everywhere is out of stock unless you want to pay silly prices. So i bought the Edwin Jagger DE89. After untold reading in different forums the EJ89 with Feathers is what ppl love. I will stick with that combo for the rest of the year... Thanks for all your tips

Very wise choice. The EJ is superbly made and finished. IT is a DE you can use for decades to come. If there is any "bad talk" about it, it would be that some of the handles are a little slippery when your hands are wet. Just dry the hand you hold the razor with and you should be fine if you find that it is a little hard to hold when shaving.

proxy.php

I was sitting here looking across at my Merkur HD 34c thinking let me have a final shave with it before my EJ89 arrives. I has a once used feather blade inside it. First pass i noticed some small cuts. My last shave was 3 or 4 passes with no cuts. On my third pass i had to stop because i had loads of cuts. I knew some thing was wrong. The bottom screw bit of the handle had come loose so the top of the razor was loose.I think i have razor burn also for the first time in my life :/
Thats lesson number one for me : check the razor is secure and tight before shaving. *slap*

If you wanted a more aggressive razor than the 34C, I'm not sure why you chose an Edwin Jagger razor. To me, the Edwin Jagger and Muhle R89 are mild razors, as mild if not more mild than the 34C. If you want a modern-production razor that has a long handle and is aggressive, I would suggest following:

• Merkur Futur
  • Merkur 39C - Barber Pole Slant
  • Muhle 2011 R41
  • Any Parker 3-Piece Razor

I was sitting here looking across at my Merkur HD 34c thinking let me have a final shave with it before my EJ89 arrives. I has a once used feather blade inside it. First pass i noticed some small cuts. My last shave was 3 or 4 passes with no cuts. On my third pass i had to stop because i had loads of cuts. I knew some thing was wrong. The bottom screw bit of the handle had come loose so the top of the razor was loose.I think i have razor burn also for the first time in my life :/
Thats lesson number one for me : check the razor is secure and tight before shaving. *slap*

I remove the blade after shaving then clean the razor, wipe it dry, and put it away. Having a lose head does not happen when you put the blade in as you will tighten the razor properly before you start each shave.

I remove the blade after shaving then clean the razor, wipe it dry, and put it away. Having a lose head does not happen when you put the blade in as you will tighten the razor properly before you start each shave.

I took the razor blade out after the first use i washed it and the razor then replaced back into the Merkur. Either i didnt tighten it up properly or the thread is all wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you wanted a more aggressive razor than the 34C, I'm not sure why you chose an Edwin Jagger razor. To me, the Edwin Jagger and Muhle R89 are mild razors, as mild if not more mild than the 34C. If you want a modern-production razor that has a long handle and is aggressive, I would suggest following:

• Merkur Futur
  • Merkur 39C - Barber Pole Slant
  • Muhle 2011 R41
  • Any Parker 3-Piece Razor

I think after reading every ones views and researching the different razors i didnt really nead a more aggressive razor. What i need is a better razor and a better technique. I'm hoping the EJ89 is a petter piece of kit than the Merkur. I'm not impressed with the Merkur blades or razors.
If i still have trouble with the EJ89 getting through hair against the grain then i'd say i do need an aggressive beast.
My Gillette mac doo dah slices through that stuff..... Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom