Thread: Mueller's Water Grindstone

Default Mueller's Water Grindstone

Having relocated to France for a spell, I recently acquired a Mueller's water stone since it was going at a pretty fair price. It's a natural stone from Bavaria, designed for surgical instruments, and is nominally rated at 4-5k. The suggested sequence is slurry, then water, then pasted strops. Anyone have any experience with these?--and are there other grades of Mueller's stones?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mueller's-water-stone-(Bava.jpg  

I have not but I would be interested in one if they are readily available over there. I am a sucker for hones with labels.
    Matt

Images

...that is nice.................

.................where can i get one?
    Spartans! The orders of the day....... From this wall, we do not retreat........!

Images

Looks to be the same stones that Neil Miller was selling a while back and Olivia still has in stock

I picked one up in a b/s/t deal on another forum a few years ago which I think was originally bought from Neil Miller.

I can't compare it to to a vintage Escher or Thuringian as I've never tried one but I can say that I get smooth comfortable shaves from the one I have. I've lapped the back which also makes for a nice kitchen knife finisher. It's quite soft and produces a lot of muddy slurry, has nice feedback and is generally rather pleasant to hone on.

I bought mine from Rasoir Sabre, located in Nancy, France. Just lapped one side with a 325x DMT and then touched up a Filly no. 12 with it (20 laps on water), and this seemed to smooth out the edge very well. Followed with 40 laps on Dovo red and 8 laps on Dovo black, and an excellent shave was the result.

Nice stone - I'd love to get one. Is it the same as the stones that Timber Tools sells?

Well, I have one and I can say is a Thuringian, nothing to do with vintage one but always a good stone. Is around 10K in grit range, but you have to lap it because come rough from factory and if you don't lap it is corse like a 400 grit sandpaper !

Images

I read an old post elsewhere saying that these deliver good results with a dilucot style honing method. I gave it shot. I killed the edge of a shave ready blade on glass, a few stokes until it would no longer shave armhair. Then I built up quite a thick slurry and done some x-strokes with the occasional circle and half strokes, it was shaving arm hair again fast. I diluted down to a water finish and after stropping on latigo had a nice smooth shave, on par with what I can get with my coticules.

I'm going to try resetting the bevel on a 1k and then going to this stone and see how fast things go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grindstone.jpg  

I recently received one of these stone as a gift. Can you please tell me what would be the grit. In the orignal post says is around 4-5K but someone else says is like 10K.
    Thanks !
    Catalin

I think they very a good bit on grit and plus it is a natural stone so there is no consistent grit. I will take some using by you to figure out where it fits in the progression.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by BCN View Post
    I recently received one of these stone as a gift. Can you please tell me what would be the grit. In the orignal post says is around 4-5K but someone else says is like 10K.
    Thanks !
    Excuse the pun, but the grit may be in eye of the beholder here. In my OP, the 4-5k reference was what was stated on the site I bought the stone from (i.e., a source that I trust). It works fast at first, perhaps living up to this relative rating or expectation (it's a natural stone, so an absolute grit rating cannot be assigned). Used with a very light touch in the right hands, it may also yield a more polished surface, hence the subsequent ~10k and finishing claims above. A nice stone in any case, perhaps to be followed by coarser pastes leading to finer ones.
    Last edited by Alum of Potash; 07-19-2012 at 01:06 PM.

There is a Place selling the 8" for 24 euro shipped within eu. Damn cheap. Its 30 something usds.