What's new

Cirmes Tonsorial Parlour (Tried it? Try it again.)

Here, now...in my second post ever on your fair site, I'd like to tout a product I felt shaky about in the beginning, but I believe has found its footing and I find myself reaching for it before all others. My collection is extensive and some might say obsessive, but there's really something here.

As you'll notice in my miniature bio, in the past, I've been a fella that feels almost possessive about my shave swag.I want to know I'm the only one using it anywhere near me. Perhaps this was until I found something I was a little more intrigued by. NOW, I know at least on other sites, there is a snobbery, and I'm prepared to tune that out, so post away, foolishly closed-minded chaps. But those willing to give an "underdog" in a saturated world of high-priced elitist product, ETSY, YES...ETSY, has found me a product that has my ears perked and at attention.

Have you fellas heard anything about Cirmes Tonsorial Parlour? I always want to say "Crimes", but no no. Before you might choose to discredit this post because I'm about to sing praise to a handmade product, or perhaps even, you've tried it, keep reading. I live in Iowa. This guy is based out of Des Moines. I'm in a small town outside of the city, and I picked up a copy of Des Moines Register, the city's newspaper, and to my delight read about a local man who makes his own shaving products. From the jump, I found the packaging to be simple and brilliant...it looks old apothecary and I admittedly have a fascination with all things old-fashioned.

Initially, I ordered the preshave oil, shaving soap, and aftershave. Here's my honest thoughts to begin with: the preshave oil sat on my shelf until about a week ago (I got these products in January) because I've never really used the stuff. Well, if it were possible for me to get over the scent, which myself and my wife both find intoxicating, called Sapera (apparently it means "snake charmer" in Hindi, and yes, it does remind me of another part of the world), but I've always had issues with razor burn if I do more than 1 pass. Because I LIKE to make 3 passes, it has been discouraging. I tried the preshave, both alone, and under the soap of the same fragrance. Wow. I never thought I'd use the stuff, but wow. Both my DE and SE's glide effortlessly AND it doesn't clog up my pores or gunk up my DE razor. SOLD.

Now, for the other two products, I have to bring you to a more current time. A couple of nights before the Oscars, I was watching the local news when lo and behold, this man had made his way onto the 10 o'clock news. They featured him because his preshave oil (same stuff I bought) was selected to be included in the celebrity bags. You know, the stuff that they throw at the winners and nominees in hopes that they'll sing the product's praise, because they're too wealthy and privileged to find it on their own? It appeared that he had grabbed the attention of some people "much bigger" than I, but here's where it gets interesting. Not only does he hand-pen (with a fountain pen) a note to his customers, generously thanking them, BUT, he also reached out to me to let me know of changes that had been going on with his products. It was as if he bugged my phone and heard me praising his preshave but saying not a word of his soap or aftershave. He let me know that there had been some reformulations to his aftershave and mug soap. Without going into excessive details, he said that the clays in his soap had changed, both by type and by quantity, and that his process for making the soap was at a different and tested temperature, so if I had been having issues getting my soap to lather (which, yes, I was. Not terrible, but nothing I'd write home about.) that I just might like this new soap. Next, the aftershave. Now, I'll say this...I did not really love the aftershave. It started out because I hated the smell IN THE BOTTLE, but once I tried it, I chalked it up to the witch hazel, because it smelled tremendous once it dried out. However, it wasn't amazing. I still felt some sting even though it was alcohol free, and with my (at the time) razor burn, that was an issue. So, he informed me that they've switched to a higher end witch hazel, Humphrey's, and he now microplanes his alum to get a fine powder, more readily absorbed, which he actually demonstrated on the news. I wondered if the previous witch hazel may have had traces of alcohol, which is fine, just not alcohol free, because as I've learned on my own, most of the cheap ones contain 10-20% alcohol and Humphrey's does not.

I appreciated his information. I felt as though perhaps he knew they needed work and he wanted his customers to try it upon his improvements. I appreciate this because I believe that if a product is selling, many sellers, independent or massive, don't change a thing, especially if it means the price to produce increases. So even though I didn't love the soap or aftershave, I DID love the smell and I decided to give it another go. I can say boldly to those who have or have not tried his aftershave, it is really a glorious product. Still no razor burn. No sting anymore, and once the milky solution dissipates, my face feels soft, moisturized, and smells insane. If you've tried it and didn't like it...do yourself a favor and try it again. He also added a reducer within the bottle to make the liquid come out at a much more user-friendly "rate". I felt like I dumped half the bottle every time I poured it in my hands with the previous version. What it sums up to for me is that this man notices his shortcomings, he listens to his customers, and he improves his product. I cut myself in a speedy shave and this stuff just cradled the nick like a nurturing mother. The bleeding stopped and it was soothing and non-irritating. The soap...I'm a fan of wool fat soaps. I don't know. The lather and the moisture, in my opinion, are incredible and incomparable. It'll take a lot to make anything else my favorite, but the updates here are also noteworthy. My biggest argument before was the lather. It seemed like a LOT of work. Once I did get a lather, it wasn't a dense, rich lather, and it dried out quickly. I take my time shaving, so this was an issue. I've used this new "formula", which from opening was already different. A deep, earthy green that was almost opaque. Before it was a gold color and slightly transparent. Great moisture, though I add a bit of glycerin to bump it up. The change in lather was night and day. I whipped up a frenzy of what looked like whipped cream and, really...the smell makes it worth it to give my wool fat soap a rest from time to time.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, hearing thoughts, learning of new things, but if you've tried Cirmes Tonsorial Parlour pre-2012 or haven't tried it all, I say go for it. It's a must. The aftershave and preshave oil will be a reorder for me. And at $15 a pop, it's a lot cheaper than the Trumper Wild Fern and Bay Rum I have been using. Don't be afraid to bug him with questions, he seems to like the conversation! At least take a look, he's done Iowa proud. www.9cirmes.etsy.com.

Such a well-written advertisement. I've tried it. Shave soap does nothing for me. Aftershave burns and irritates. Colognes are amazing. Love the Sapera. I repeat. Love the colognes!

I'm inclined to believe you tried it when I did the first time? Maybe not. The changes to the aftershaves, I got the "new" batch I'm THINKING in February. Of course, I'm assuming, but you're saying exactly what I did of the previous stuff: burned, irritated. Now? Soothes, calms. Different strokes? Maybe.

If you're familiar with "Scodioli" aftershaves, those are his too. I've read feedback on them...looks like many agree. If you've not tried it since, maybe go for it again? Or the Madame's, though I've not tried it, I'm planning on it.

Sapera. Amazing, yes?

Top Bottom