What's new

Brush Chronicle #12 Morris & Forndran

Morris & Forndran Super Sized (continued)

$Screen Shot 2012-04-15 at 9.16.33 AM.jpg

In bloom!

This ranks among my larger M&F brushes, but I do have bigger... a 36mm stubby/chubby!

Last edited:
Thanks Gentlemen, for all of the terrific photos which have been added to this thread. You are certainly igniting SBAD in some corner of the universe. If anybody has succumbed and placed an order, please feel free to tell us about that as well :wink2:

Thanks Gentlemen, for all of the terrific photos which have been added to this thread. You are certainly igniting SBAD in some corner of the universe. If anybody has succumbed and placed an order, please feel free to tell us about that as well :wink2:

After months of resisting, I finally broke down and placed an order a few days ago for a 26x51mm jade-handled Lee7 with a fan-shaped knot. I'm really psyched!

After months of resisting, I finally broke down and placed an order a few days ago for a 26x51mm jade-handled Lee7 with a fan-shaped knot. I'm really psyched!

Score 2 points for the Enabler's Team! :wink2: Great news Mike- I hope that you love your new brush.

Score 2 points for the Enabler's Team! :wink2: Great news Mike- I hope that you love your new brush.

Thanks, David :001_smile. When I emailed Lee, I expressed a preference for the older, softer batch of hair and he responded that he would use "softer" hair, but did not say specifically what kind. Someone on another forum informed me that he's been using Rooney heritage hair in some of his brushes, so I'm curious to see what I end up with. Regardless, I have no doubt it will be an outstanding brush.

After having last week off it was something of a rude shock to be up and out of bed this morning because I had to.......

I wanted to start the new working week as smoothly as possible- I am not a shaving cream user, but I normally have a tube of Speick lying around.

proxy.php

A snurdle of cream and a shaken-out brush

proxy.php

A few drops of water and 30 seconds of mixing

proxy.php

A little more water- and after a minute

proxy.php

More water and 90 seconds total- it is shave time.

proxy.php

So far, I am happy with the way in which this M&F brush is performing. It has proven itself in the soap bowl, with shaving cream and lathering on the face with a shave stick. Plenty of backbone and soft tips.

M&F "Eagle"

View attachment 236133

This handle shape remind me of Simpson's "Eagle." It's like a reverse "Barrel" and it is it's simplicity that sets it apart.
The shape (not alike the "Barrel") just fits perfectly in my hand providing a very secure and comfortable grip.
Like the "Barrel" this is another perfect face lathering brush.

View attachment 236134 View attachment 236135

The imitation horn is very pleasing to the eye.
(Pictured above with genuine horn).

View attachment 236141

Dimensions:
Handle: 51mm
Knot: 20 x 48mm

this might be my new Favorite handle style.... very stunning.

Here is my Morris and Forndran (minus the label) with a 24mm knot set at 52mm. I lathered up with C.O. Bigelow. I usually face lather with this brush, it is so dense with really soft tips and plenty of backbone. When I face lather it just gives me more brush to face time :)

$IMG_2633.jpg

Here is my Morris and Forndran (minus the label) with a 24mm knot set at 52mm. I lathered up with C.O. Bigelow. I usually face lather with this brush, it is so dense with really soft tips and plenty of backbone. When I face lather it just gives me more brush to face time :)

View attachment 237017

Perfect! Thanks for sharing the photo.

With this being my only M&F brush, I obviously can't do any gathering of the clan photos like Ben has done but I will try to post a few more comparison shots. This one gives an idea of the size of this brush:

proxy.php

This morning I was a little pressed for time, so I broke out the Speick stick again for another wonderful shave. My Morris & Forndran feels terrific on the face.

Has anyone else fallen prey to SBAD and ordered a brush? :001_smile

trying to. i'm been emailing Lee back and forth, trying to figure out what's best for me.

i have the 1 L7 and love it, so am looking for one to "compliment" it, not "compete" with it.

Has anyone else fallen prey to SBAD and ordered a brush? :001_smile

Yes, I ordered the black horn brush that Icebear has.

Hi there,

here my current masterpieces from Lee :

Front :
View attachment 235823

Back:
View attachment 235824

Both genuine horn, the left is stuffed with Rooney Heritage type hair (03/2012). The right one is Lee's blonde badger (10/2011).
Both about 24 mm at the base of the knot. The Heritage type hair has softer tips than the standard type hair but comparable backbone. Both are just marvellous brushes.

I have a colport 26/51 fan in heritage hair that is on it's way. The replacement for my 25/50 polo that continues to shed is supposed to be en route, as well. Lee said it would be a 26/50 of a sample hair that should have similar face feel to the "shedder". He has yet to get back to me about a couple more. I have asked for a 3-band bulb ~24/48 and a 2-Band heritage 24/48, one in jade and one in woodtone. Those added to the others should have me set for a time. Don't know Lee's full range, unless Ben takes some more photos.:a47:Regards, Bradley

D

Deleted member 48987

I'm waiting on a 26x52 butterscotch Lee7. Please come tomorrow!

I've had a busy couple of days, but thanks for adding to this thread Gentlemen. Great to see a few orders in the pipeline- please add photos when the new brushes arrive.

This morning's shave. I dug a well-used puck of C&E's Sienna soap out of my cabinet for a test run this morning. I do like the scent and the lathering is good (not top-notch IMHO, but good) but my problem with this soap is that I find it to be drying to my skin. In any case, this is about the brushes:

proxy.php

And here is a comparison shot

proxy.php

Top Bottom