What's new

Martin de Candre....wow.

Was in Paris and picked up a wooden bowled version (might go for glass next time) of MdC. This stuff is excellent. Easily the best soap/cream I've tried, and that includes ToBS, GFT, Trumper's, Ingram, Tabac, Arko, which are all pretty decent.

At 60 euro it isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I tried some MdC for the first time yesterday and it is qualitatively different from the other lathering products I've been using, which are mostly AdP, SMN and Proraso Green. I find its scent unusually subtle. That's not to say anything about its cost and my first experience with it did not really produce great lather (quite likely my own fault)... but its scent is unusual.

I tried some MdC for the first time yesterday and it is qualitatively different from the other lathering products I've been using, which are mostly AdP, SMN and Proraso Green. I find its scent unusually subtle. That's not to say anything about its cost and my first experience with it did not really produce great lather (quite likely my own fault)... but its scent is unusual.

are you sure you are using MdC? i mean i t sound like it at first but then no as "I find its scent unusually subtle" and then yes again, and then no, and then yes.

What exactly about mdc that makes it worth $80. It's hard to justify.. Something in the ingredients maybe?

MdC only costs about $60 USD for a 170 gram glass bowl (most pucks are 100gram). The stuff produces so much lather for a small amount of loading that the cost per shave isn't nearly as expensive as it seems on the surface. Oddly enough there are only five ingredients. MdC is crazy good, one of my all time favorites. I was exceptionally skeptical, but it really performs.

You know I was about to sell my Mdc that I just got on the BST because I just didn't think it was that great. The only thing that stopped me was a lady friend who told me if I put product on my face today and I said no I just shaved with Mdc. She told me don't get rid of it cause it's left your face the softer and smoother than previous shaves. This comes after using samples of SMN, williams, cella, acca kappa 1869, proraso, razorock XXX,penhaligons ( which minus the parabens I really liked performance wise same with my ADP sample) ( THANKS GARRY!) . I pay 20 shipping for most things anyway so it's cheaper than ADP, and SMN, and Penhaligons and about the same price as the English creams or soaps (Minus taylors). The scent is subtle and I agree with that. I do miss the strong scents but at the end of the day I guess it comes down to your face and how it feels and looks after your shave. I was gonna split this into samples, but women have convinced me other wise :austin1:

I looked up the ingredients:

Water, stearic acid, Coconut acid, potassium hydroxide, Glycerin, And fragrance....

I don't see anything here that would make me think it stands out... I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but do you guys think the joy of MDC is from the price tag?

Water, stearic acid, Coconut acid, potassium hydroxide, Glycerin, And fragrance....

I don't see anything here that would make me think it stands out... I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but do you guys think the joy of MDC is from the price tag?
ive been wondering this myself but i do keep reading it cost per shave since needing so little isnt much different then most other milled soaps but still not as cheap as razrock or proraso lol have you tried proraso bubbles ? :lol: but i think with all the great things people say its an okay price for a luxury item that doesnt get used everyday nd will last quite sometime

I'm also a bit surprised you paid 60 € buying it local. Did you purchase from a third party retailer? Perhaps the extra is just markup.. online price is 48,50 € when you buy direct (admittedly there is shipping on top of that to consider).

Personally I was a little disappointed by MdC. Don't get me wrong, the lather is great, and it is extremely slick.. but my face just didn't seem to like it. I used it 3 times and every time, my face felt a little strange. Just brushing it on made my face feel prickly, even though there was no visible signs of irritation. My skin also didn't look or feel quite as good as normal during those three days and a few days thereafter. I was also not overly keen on the scent, though it did start to grow on me a tiny bit.

Ended up going back to Tabac

are you sure you are using MdC? i mean i t sound like it at first but then no as "I find its scent unusually subtle" and then yes again, and then no, and then yes.

yes, i'm sure... :) maybe my sense of smell is not that good?? you are thinking its smell is strong, its notes not subtle?

You know I was about to sell my Mdc that I just got on the BST because I just didn't think it was that great. The only thing that stopped me was a lady friend who told me if I put product on my face today and I said no I just shaved with Mdc. She told me don't get rid of it cause it's left your face the softer and smoother than previous shaves. This comes after using samples of SMN, williams, cella, acca kappa 1869, proraso, razorock XXX,penhaligons ( which minus the parabens I really liked performance wise same with my ADP sample) ( THANKS GARRY!) . I pay 20 shipping for most things anyway so it's cheaper than ADP, and SMN, and Penhaligons and about the same price as the English creams or soaps (Minus taylors). The scent is subtle and I agree with that. I do miss the strong scents but at the end of the day I guess it comes down to your face and how it feels and looks after your shave. I was gonna split this into samples, but women have convinced me other wise :austin1:

Ah shucks! I would of wanted one of those samples, I'd love to try MdC some day to see what it is all about. Just gotta keep an eye out at Garrys shop haha :)

I'm also a bit surprised you paid 60 € buying it local. Did you purchase from a third party retailer? Perhaps the extra is just markup.. online price is 48,50 € when you buy direct (admittedly there is shipping on top of that to consider).

IIRC, when I saw it in Planete Rasoir, it was EUR60 for the bowl so when I went to the MdC factory and found it was only EUR47 or 48, I forget exactly, I was pleasantly surprised. I think PR is a cool shop, but it appears there is a significant mark up. Same goes for the store inside Printemps in Paris.

Was in Paris and picked up a wooden bowled version (might go for glass next time) of MdC. This stuff is excellent. Easily the best soap/cream I've tried, and that includes ToBS, GFT, Trumper's, Ingram, Tabac, Arko, which are all pretty decent.

At 60 euro it isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Lather pics? I honestly don't think I have seen any MdC lather pics on this site yet.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Martin de Candre is one of my all-time favourite soaps and the only one I'll spend all that money on.

I don't see anything here that would make me think it stands out... I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but do you guys think the joy of MDC is from the price ?

That is precisely why I think it stands above and beyond other products... It's simplicity, in only using 5 ingredients... Whats the difference between an $8 dollar steak from Sizzler, and a Tbone from a high end steakhouse? Chances are the high end steakhouse only uses simple ingredients as well.. Salt, pepper, oil, maybe touch of garlic, that's it...

My point.. It's how it's formulated, and produced......The stuff really is that good

MdC is my all time, absolute favourite soap!

It's will worth the coin as far as performance and IMO not bad value either (given it lasts so long, I've been using mine non stop for about 6 months and hardly put a dent in it and I'm definitely not stingy when it comes to loading product).

In terms of ingredients, well all beer (for example) is essentially made for the same few ingredients and there are definitely beers out there that range in quality!

Top Bottom