What's new

My New 1911

I've got a stainless steel series 80 Gold Cup, and a Norinco commander length pistol.

The Gold Cup is my wife's favorite. I love shooting it, but I'm very partial to that Chinese pistol.

My other .45 ACP is a wheelgun...A S&W M1917.

You guys are stimulating my urge for a 1911. Like a lot of you, I was weaned on a .45. I babysat my buddy's Series 70 for a couple of years when he was living overseas. Just so it wouldn't be sad while he was gone, I shot it regularly and I loved it. It would be fun to have something like that again. I like my BHP 9mm a lot, but it would be nice to have a .45 to keep it company.

Last edited:
I am on a waiting list for one right now, it is taking forever to come in since Ruger only makes a limited supply.
I've heard they're made in the same factory as the Remington R1 and I know in the last year or so Remington has been pumping out a lot of them so that my explain the lack of supply.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! Sorry I'm a little slow on the response. I just moved, and was without internet for a while.
So I believe that Ruger's 1911 is a true 1911. It uses the series 70 slide, so there is no firing pin block to worry about. I believe it is compatible with other 1911 parts, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.
I don't have a conceal carry permit, so this will just be a range gun for now. I do shoot in my local IDPA club, so it will get a little more action than just shooting at paper.
The quality and value appear to be superb! Ruger says that they wanted to make a modern 1911 with all of the usual refinements, without any excessive stuff you don't need. I think that they achieved their goal really well. I did a lot of study in my search for a 1911, and the Ruger had all of the features I wanted, nothing that I didn't want, and was in a good price bracket. Plus I think it is one of the more attractive 1911s.
I was looking at Kimbers originally, which are similarly featured, but with the Ruger costing half as much, I couldn't pass it up.
I also kind of like that these are hard to find right now. So far mine is the only one I have seen at a range. All the others I have seen in person were at gun shows selling for $300 more than I paid.
I grew up shooting my Dad's 1911, so I knew that once I had the means, I had to get one of my own.
I've taken it to the range about five times now, and it shoots super well! Very accurate and easy to shoot. The only thing is that the slide spring is very stiff and heavy. I've been told that it typically takes about 500 rounds to break in a new 1911. I have about 200 rounds to go...

Note you said FIRST, your a smart man. A man can never have to many 1911s!

proxy.php

Eaglestroker;

You can come up with some good lookin' stuff! That pistol in that particular holster rig with the attractive russet color is really appealing.

Here's an example of the Colt product from 10 years before I was born. An immediate post-war Government Model made in 1947.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Replaced the original "Coltwood" stocks, which look exactly like left over World War II issue grips, with some exotic checkered stocks for a trip two weeks ago down to a remote ranch south of Sanderson, Texas and on the border with Mexico. This is the way it was carried on the belt for the three days my brother-in-law and I were there. The checkered wood stocks offer a more positive grip than the slicker molded checkering on the original equipment plastic stocks. They don't hurt the appearance either.
proxy.php

It'd look much better in Eaglestroker's nice russet rig.

noelekal, one can never have to much nice leather! The compliments are much appreciated, a gun as fine as yours deserves a nice home to stay nestled in when on the move! A Colt is something that has eluded me thus far. Price puts the A1's a little too far out of grasp!

Top Bottom