What's new

Al The Newbie ...

Greetings all. Been reading up on straight razor shaving here at B&B and I'm glad to have so much information. I'm 64 and remember the days when my dad and grand-dad used straight razors. My dad switched to injector blades I'd guess about 1955. So as a kid I got to watch them go through the shave ritual. My barber is over 75 years and still barbering, I'v been a steady customer of his since about 1970, but he quit doing shaves about ten years ago. I always paid attention to his shaving methods. I'm about due for a trim and I'm going to ask him if he still has a razor and if I could borrow one for a few weeks. I'd guess that he can do an initial sharpening for me once I buy a razor.

Why go through all this? I keep remembering how good a straight razor shave feels. And, I'm no longer in a hurry to do anything.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask and will appreciate all advice.

AL ...

Welcome aboard AL. You've certainly come to the right place here- loads of great advice and a friendly community.

Enjoy!

Welcome Al! It's great that you have an experienced barber you can talk to. Good luck with finding your first straight razor!

Hello Al. It sounds like your in the perfect situation to try a straight having plenty of time. I don't use one yet but I would guess that being able to take your time is a big plus. Retirement isn't too far away for me and trying a straight is definitely on the list of things to do.

I remember my father using injectors in the 50's and 60's, then he switched to an electric and still uses one now. Speaking of barbers giving shaves, mine stopped not all that long ago and when I heard, I immediately asked if there were any razors still around. Wouldn't you know it, she gave them all away just a few weeks before to someone. So the moral of this story is go get that trim and ask. I just missed out and there is someone lucky in my area.

Welcome and enjoy B&B. I'm sure you will enjoy all the members and information here.

Top Bottom