What's new

Recommend another VA?

Putting together the wishlist for this month, and I want to add one new VA & one new English. I'm pretty much set on Frog Morton, but I'm going back & forth on the Va. I currently have SG FVF, Dunhill Flake, and HOTW - all of which I enjoy - in addition to a couple primarily VA blends (Solani Silver seems to be my favorite so far). I've been looking particularly at Rattray's Old Gowrie & Marlin Flake, but the reviews at tobaccoreviews seem to be written by and for guys with a much more sophisticated palate than my own. Makes my head hurt. So, I'm asking you, my esteemed Brown Leaf colleagues, for your recommendation. Which of these do you prefer, and why? Or, is there another particular blend you think should be on the list?

Your input is much appreciated. Thank you. :sailor:

Marlin Flake is a favorite, smokes well once at the right moisture level and provides those light toffee flavors I enjoy in a darker VA.

Price...you certainly can't have more of a novice palate than mine, I'm very new to "full time" pipe smoking. That being said, I love Marlin Flake and while I haven't mastered the fold and stuff method of flake smoking, it rubs up quite nicely. As James mentioned, letting it dry a few minutes after rubbing allows for a better smoke in my opinion. I just had a bowl about an hour ago. I say give it a go ;-)

Thanks guys. The truth is, I know I'll end up getting both of those. :blush: I'm just trying to stretch it out a bit, give myself something new to try every month. (So I guess it should have been more like "Which one should I buy first?") I had been actually leaning toward the Old Gowrie - seems to be a bit more "different" from my current stock - but I've got a couple weeks before I pull the trigger on the next order anyway.

Thanks guys. The truth is, I know I'll end up getting both of those. :blush: I'm just trying to stretch it out a bit, give myself something new to try every month. (So I guess it should have been more like "Which one should I buy first?") I had been actually leaning toward the Old Gowrie - seems to be a bit more "different" from my current stock - but I've got a couple weeks before I pull the trigger on the next order anyway.

Well, let me know how the Old Gowrie is because I've been about to pull the trigger on some of it too. I've meant to tell you for some time, that I used to live up there and was stationed at the Naval Base for some time. It was my last duty station before getting out of the Navy. I often wonder how the area has changed.

Well, let me know how the Old Gowrie is because I've been about to pull the trigger on some of it too. I've meant to tell you for some time, that I used to live up there and was stationed at the Naval Base for some time. It was my last duty station before getting out of the Navy. I often wonder how the area has changed.

Well, other than RTC & some of the housing, the base hasn't changed much. They sunk a bunch of $$ into upgrading RTC, almost everything is new over there. They've also privatized the housing, and torn down some of the old rundown units to build pretty nice single family houses. On the lake side of the base itself, it's all pretty much the same as it was when I went through 15 years ago. The surrounding area is not much different than it was either - no place you'd want to be stuck.

I've got about four months here before I get back to haze gray & underway. San Diego here I come!

Marlin Flake is great, might I also suggest Wessex Brigade Campaign. Not as well known, but worth checking into. Since James refuses to smoke anything less than 10 years old, we'll have to wait awhile for his review of it.:smartass:

Marlin Flake is great, might I also suggest Wessex Brigade Campaign. Not as well known, but worth checking into. Since James refuses to smoke anything less than 10 years old, we'll have to wait awhile for his review of it.:smartass:
LOL I may break down and have it when the LE comes in.

Well, other than RTC & some of the housing, the base hasn't changed much. They sunk a bunch of $$ into upgrading RTC, almost everything is new over there. They've also privatized the housing, and torn down some of the old rundown units to build pretty nice single family houses. On the lake side of the base itself, it's all pretty much the same as it was when I went through 15 years ago. The surrounding area is not much different than it was either - no place you'd want to be stuck.

I've got about four months here before I get back to haze gray & underway. San Diego here I come!

Well, some of that housing really needed to be torn down, that's for certain. My last duty station was NRRC, it was absolutely cake duty. Loved it actually, lol. I was due to rotate back to sea then my wife "at the time" had complications with our son and the Doc was able to keep me there for another year. Then with the drawdown I was able to submit my papers to get out a year early. It all worked out okay...I really wasn't ready to get back underway with a newborn, so my detailer extended me for another year, and I got to teach reservists how to work on electronics gear every other weekend ;-)

Never been to San Diego, but I have some friends that absolutely loved being there. Hope you get back there asap ;-)

I don't know much about VA but for English if you haven't tried it I would recommend GLP Westminster or Balkan Sasieni both are excellent IMO.

I don't know much about VA but for English if you haven't tried it I would recommend GLP Westminster or Balkan Sasieni both are excellent IMO.
Frog Morton is this month's English, butWestminster is on the list. Nobody seems to have Balkan Sasieni in stock right now, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Actually, the order is placed already. Smokingpipes had a barely smoked 999 for a song so I dropped my order. I settled on - you knew this, right? - both of 'em. Patience is so overrated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom