What's new

Need advice: Try to improve shave by changing blades or changing technique

I have been wet shaving for a few weeks now since I "re-started" with the advice provided through my B&B colleagues. I am pleased to report that thanks to all of your care and interest in shaving that things are going quite well. I am acheiving a DFS on my cheeks and an SAS on my neck; gone is the razor burn, weepers and the fulminant irritation around my neck line.

I am using: VDH soap, Parker silver-tip brush, EJ 89, Derby blade, Mama Bear's AS balm with a little splash of clubman. I am using 2 passes, both WTG on my neck, 1 WTG and 1 XTG on my cheeks.

My question is: should I attempt to improve my shave by changing my technique (like a 3 pass WTG, XTG, ATG)? Or should I not change my technique and try to see if I can achieve a better result with a different blade?

If what you're doing is working for you technique wise, I'd stay with it. Of course you'll want to try other blades to see if you can find your best one(s).

As you experiment with blades your technique will continue to improve, so its a win win.

If you want improved end-results and you're not getting significant irritation now, try an all-over XTG pass.

Begin to try other blades (Red IP's are a good choice as a next step. When your WTG and all-over XTG passes seem to go well, experiment by adding a second XTG pass. IMO, ATG passes may lead to irritation. If your curiosity leads you to try one, be mindful of the results. Your neck will let you know if it agrees with your decision.:001_smile

Last edited:
Gotta love that Clubman stuff for an inexpensive and excellent smelling as it is. In my experience, the blade makes some difference, but not as much as the razor and how mild or aggressive it is. Again, IMHO, the blade will either make the razor MORE or LESS comfortable while the razor does the work. Improvements in technique will improve your shave more than the equipment you use.

Try both! Experimentation is the best way to perfect your shave. Even after one year with a DE, I still experiment all the time. Whether you can do it in 2 passes with a sharper blade or 3 passes with your current blade, nothing is better than a BBS.

Top Bottom