What's new

Need a new DE razor + need some advice after a year.

I'm getting Slant > DE89L > Merkur 12c > Gillette blue tip (what I have). Is this correct?
i think this is correct. but remember, a slant is not only more aggressive, it's also fundamentally different due to its uneven blade exposure. you will have to re-learn your technique a little bit to use a slant, if i understand it correctly.

also, if you are having tugging issues, focus on improving the results of your WTG pass(es) - getting your stubble extremely short is the way to reduce tugging.

Hmm since the slant sounds like a lot of new work I may opt for the DE89L. I'm going into board studying for a big exam coming up in less than 2 months now. Is the DE89L noticeably more aggressive than the blue tip? After this I think I'll pull the trigger. I keep seeing these beautiful looking adjustables such as the Merkur Futur or Merkur progress etc. Are they worth looking into?

Last edited:
I have found that when in the shower, shampoo my beard when I do my hair. I the condition my beard and continue my shower. I never rinse the conditioner and end up lathering over it. Since doing this as prep I have had no issue what so ever with tugging. I have use the same astra sp for the last 5 shaves and it is not tugging or irratating. I dont use blade more that 5 times, but I feel like they could last longer.

Prepped like crazy last night and did 4 passes WTG, XTGx2 (back and forth), attempted ATG. Didn't get very close because I started feeling the burn. However on a positive note Zero Nicks. I'm excited to buy a new razor and see how I fare. Still looking for closure though on effectiveness of DE89 vs bluetip.

I have an EJ98L and a few Gillette SS in my rotation ('49, '56. and '74). They are all considered "mild" razors, but paired with Astras, Crystals, or Feathers, they shave excellent. I used to have to toss a blade after the first shave until I learned to prep better. If you spend a good amount of time on prep, you have the best chance of going ATG.

Just buy whatever strikes your fancy... Use it for a while, then bst it...buy the next one, bst that, and so on...That's really the only way you'll feel comfortable knowing that youre not missing out.......try em all........and end up with a DE89 IN THE END ANYWAY....:whistling:

Top Bottom