What's new

New grill?

I have always been a fan of the Weber! Still am, but the fiancees parents got a BGE last year. Everything I have eaten off of it has been amazing. Same with the Primo XL, my uncle smoked some prime rib on it for Christmas this past year. It was amazing too. I will always have a Weber, but when the funds come in, or someone wants to gift it, I will be getting a ceramic cooker. The BGE is made in Mexico, and the Primo's are made in Georgia, if buying U.S. matters to you. To me it doesn't if it is a quality product.

The one thing I would make sure of if you decide to get a ceramic cooker is get a dependable stand for it. Whether you make one yourself or buy premade ($$$$) the small legs that come with it are no bueno. If it tips over and cracks, it is done! That is something else to consider if you have a budget.

I have one almost like ur picture but a lil different in style cuz its older..very good grills love charcoal but can hate it at times to..!!

Big Green Egg. Forget everything else. I'm serious. It's amazing.

I will second!!!! These things are amazing. We have smoked whole Turkey's, chickens, steaks, sausage, hams, and anything else you can imagine throwing on a grill. Perfect every time. The only thing we haven't tried is a brick oven style pizza. I have heard they are awesome as well. There is a little bit of a learning curve as you learn how to get the temp right. You have to be careful not to leave it out on the weather when hot. Hot ceramic and water don't mix. It would be worth your investment. While other grills do a fine job, and I have a classic Weber as well, a Green Egg will last you decades after another grill has rusted through.

This entire site is killing me.

First with the intro to wet-shaving and the associated aquisition disorders - then I branched out into these subforums of Haberdashery, Mess Hall, Speakeasy, and lately The Nib (resisting...).

My old Bar-B-Chef's charcoal tray finally suffered a catastrophic failure as I was grilling chicken this evening - the corrosion couldnt stand up to a full chimney of briquettes and the bottom dropped out just before everything was done. The adjustable tray is a loss, I have already had two of the four cast iron grates break - no mfg replacement parts available - it is done after 10 yrs.

So off to to my local BJs and I bought the last Big Green Egg they had. I know that there will be replacement pieces required over time (bands / hinges / felt ring), but the core unit should last. The thick insulation means that year-round grilling is on from this time forward - no matter how bad the New England weather gets.

Before B&B, I probably would have retreated to a stop gap solution (like a Weber), but reading through the comments just pushed me over the edge.

For now, I will hold off buying the automated regulator and building the stone surround with a granite top (yeah, I have been lurking around "those" kind of sites).

fantastic purchase. i have a Vision Kamado and it's amazing. you will love the versatility of the BGE (ceramic) cooker. it grills, sears, bakes, smokes and more.

pizza is amazing on it too.

and like Jim said...Let's see some pictures!

Always been fascinated with the concept of a BGE and repelled by the price and overall awarkness of the grill (far too heavy and cumbersome). I have a number of grills/smokers and am a veteran of slow smoking BBQ; I really didn't need another cooking vehicle. But when I saw this for $259 at a local market and read the handful of great reviews...well, I needed a new summer gizmo anyhow. Thing is kind of amazing. It is built like a thermos; powdercoated steel exterior, porcelain interior, some kind of fiber insulation sandwiched in the middle. Great REAL cast iron grill surface is also part of the package. Heat range is phenomenal. From 700 degrees to 225 degrees allows anything from steak searing to 16 hour BBQ pork shoulders. The burn time on a load of charcoal is quite healthy, about 7-8 hours per load (that's one chimney full from a starter tool). I know this ain't no big egg but it sure seems to be a great alternative and $1,000 buys a LOT of MWF!! $kamodo1.JPG

I was able to assemble the BGE today and take it for a quick spin. Thanks to my lovely wife for taking the kids with her on errands, so I didnt have any "helpers".

It only took about an hour to assemble the nest and grill. I only had some Cowboy lump charcoal (not my favorite), but it worked fine for the maiden voyage.

Once the BGE hit 750 degrees, I dropped the steaks, closed the lid and that was about it for 5 minutes. I did the flp, waited about 3m more and the Thermapen confirmed they had come to 125. Nice crust, medium rare interior - so all was good.

I will need to work with it over the next couple of weeks to figure out the temperature management, but that isnt a hardship at all.

$BGE 1st Use.jpg

$BGE 1st Meat.jpg

looking good...nice job.

you might find it easier to fill the kettle right up with charcoal and just leave it in from burn to burn....that was recommended to me by a ceramic cooker guy on here, and it has worked so far.

just choke it out when you are done. mix it up the next time you fire it up and away you go.

nice looking cooker you have there.

Weber Q 320 has a small footprint for patios/decks, but cooks big time!

we use the Q100 or Baby-Q for camping, it's an incredible grill. my folks have the one shown above for the 2 of them and it's also a great BBQ.

can't go wrong with ANY weber.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This entire site is killing me.

First with the intro to wet-shaving and the associated aquisition disorders - then I branched out into these subforums of Haberdashery, Mess Hall, Speakeasy, and lately The Nib (resisting...).
That is futile.

I have a Genesis 330 new grill, it replaced my 15 year old Weber gas grill I gave to my daughter, i recently rebuilt it before i gave it to her. i also have a weber charcoal kettle like many others, the food tastes better with the charcoal and the Weber is great and relatively cheap. Gas easier, charcoal tastes better-your call. i also have a smoker that uses little pucks, I can set my smoker and put ribs in there for 3-4 hours and then finish them on the gas grill. Up to you better flavors or ease and fast.

That is futile.

HA! I have resisted the Nib.....by falling face first into The Brown Leaf. Since the time I wrote that; I have acquired two Peterson pipes (a System 314 and a Yeats), one MM cob and a no name Italian briar.

Also, I have already fried the felt gasket on my BGE. I was making pizza and the blast furnace heat that turned out such excellent crusts was too much for the wool felt.

I have the nomex replacement gasket from High-Que already to be installed, along with a stainless steel fire grate upgrade. I have been waiting for the freakish heat and humidity to pass, hopefully I get r'done this weekend.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I just today bought a new grill for my boat. Our marina lease strictly forbids wood or charcoal burning, for heat or for cooking. Everybody has these Magma propane kettles, and I have dragged my feet because of the price. Today at West Marine I saw one marked down to $145, and no box in sight for that model. I asked the clerk (west marine clerks always insist that they know what they are talking about, even when they don't and you do.) about it, trying to lay the foundation for a reduction to $100 or some odds and ends throuwn in for free. They guy insists that it is supposed to be $229 and it is marked wrong, and proceeds to remove the $145 price sticker, in violation of local law. You can't price something low and then try to sell it high. Well, I protested and he said he would call and settle the matter with his boss. Came back to me with his tail tucked between his legs and head down, and said it is actually on sale for $66 after discounting for being an open item, a display unit, and a discontinued, clearance item, and incomplete: the knob for the lid was missing. I was ready to give $100 for it, but NOOOOooooo... the guy had to get all $229-y with me about it, and so he ended up having to sell it to me for $66. I left with it, rather pleased with myself. Stopped at the grocery for a nice prime ribeye, went back to the boat, set it up, grilled and ate. Solid performer. I could have easily fabricated the rail mount for it but I bought one instead.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Grills/SpecialtyGrills/P10-501/p10-501.html

Very small, though. You can grill 4 steaks on it with no problem but you wouldn't want to cook for a bunch of folks on it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
How difficult is it to clean up the ash after use?

Do you mean after the boat goes up due to a BBQ on the stern rail? Or one of the previous posts? The Egg is pretty easy, though not as easy as dumping a weber-load into a bag. The difference is that The Egg will save the lump after being snuffed off, and if you are doing short burger/breast/steak grills they only need to be cleaned once in a while.

After a long low & slow 18 hour butt, when you used up the full pot of charcoal, takes me 5 minutes at most.

Top Bottom