What's new

New grill?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
It may be out of your budget range, but if you can swing it, I would look for a Big Green Egg, or a Primo kamado. For lesser beans, you can get a Big Steel Keg - same principle, although not ceramic, so I don't know how long it would last. I got a BGE last year and will never go back. If budget is a major factor here, then I agree with everyone else - a Weber Kettle is a no-brainer.

Big Green Egg. Forget everything else. I'm serious. It's amazing.

+2 on the Green Egg. Before the Egg I had a state of the art, propane fired stainless TEC, that to it's credit went 12 years & still brought $200 on resale. But, I got tired of shlepping propane tanks around (a trunk full of lump charcoal is easier on the wallet & unlikely to go boom if there's a mishap).

The Green Egg will go hotter than the TEC did, and throttle down like a candle in an ice cave. You can control the temperature degree by degree - did the best Thanksgiving Turkey ever last year. Pizza on the BBQ is wonderful. It will shut itself down & save the leftover charcoal when you are done.

The Weber kettle is a decent second to the BGE. With a charcoal chimney startup both are ready to cook in no time, seems the same as by the time a gasser gets warm enough to do something requiring more fire than tube steaks. The Weber isn't sealed as well as the BGE, and temperatures are harder to maintain, but the cooking principles are the same.

I too must admit being a member of the BGE cult. I've cooked more meat and smoked more BBQ than I can explain in the three years I've had mine. It's a second oven that smokes, essentially. Also have an old Weber one touch Gold, and a Weber Q for doing burgers and dogs. I'd hit up craigslist for a Weber and see if charcoal suits your needs.

Instead of just saying get a BGE I would say ceramic type cooker to include BGE, Grill Dome, Primo and my personal favorite and the best I have ever owned the Komodo Kamado
$169.JPG

I too must admit being a member of the BGE cult. I've cooked more meat and smoked more BBQ than I can explain in the three years I've had mine. It's a second oven that smokes, essentially. Also have an old Weber one touch Gold, and a Weber Q for doing burgers and dogs. I'd hit up craigslist for a Weber and see if charcoal suits your needs.

Man oh man, that is the king of Kamado cookers. I wish that I had the disposable income avalible to land one of those beauties. I surf their site about once a quarter, about the same time the lottery peaks over $100 million

Last edited:
Sorry it took awhile to get back to you. I'm going to say yes, but I've never really figured out a good way to measure it. I've thought about using the small charcoal ring in the larger one sometime when I do a couple of butts to see if the same amount of fuel will last long enough, just haven't got around to it.

Hey Tom,

I'm not even sure why I ask this but is there a big difference in charcoal consumption between the 18.5 and the 22.5 WSM?

I've had one of these for almost 10 years. Char-Griller. I love it. Good for grilling or for slow BBQ using the side firebox. I used Webers before. They are also great cookers.

$0078979201224_500X500.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm still trying to get a handle on this. When you use your large WSM to smoke a couple of butts . . . does the charcoal look like a gallon jug . . . 2 gallon jugs? How can I visualize it?

Here's a picture i took a couple of years ago. This is the bottom bowl of the 18.5 with the center chamber taken off. It has a grate that sets in the bottom of the bowl and a ring that sets on top of the grate that the charcoal is in.

proxy.php

Checking on Craigslist is a great way to find Webers- here is one I picked up for 20 bucks and spent zero on parts, just a clean up and and some paint.

This one was 40 bucks but I replaced some parts just because I wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Checking on Craigslist is a great way to find Webers- here is one I picked up for 20 bucks and spent zero on parts, just a clean up and and some paint.

This one was 40 bucks but I replaced some parts just because I wanted to.

nice scores. i was lucky enough to pick up a vintage Weber Bar-B-Kettle (similar to the SILVER charcoal), but have never seen any WSM's or Performers....

Craigs list rocks for Webers.

I called on one late fall last year and the folks never responded. Left a couple of phone messages over the course of a couple weeks or so.

Got a call back and they said "come get it, you can have it for free" WOO.. WHOO...

The first pic I posted was of my old grill from last year. This is the Weber pic taken a few days ago

proxy.php

Last edited:
Jim, I've rescued dogs and brought them into my home, but may need expand my horizons a bit to include grills...

We bought our Large Big Green Egg from the local AD. Our Medium was found on CL for a song. There are usually some on CL, but you may have to drive a couple of hours. We know have 5 friends that have purchased BGE's after eating something off of ours. Stretch your budget and get a BGE...you will be glad you did.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
That is a fair bit of charcoal. Seems like the 18.5 will meet my needs . . . if only I could resist buying fountain pens.

Here's a picture i took a couple of years ago. This is the bottom bowl of the 18.5 with the center chamber taken off. It has a grate that sets in the bottom of the bowl and a ring that sets on top of the grate that the charcoal is in.

proxy.php

Top Bottom