What's new

1930s Gillette New Coming for Tomorrow's Shave

I have a great looking 1930s Gillette New OC arriving tomorrow. This my first open comb and am looking for some blade ideas for that inagural shave. My current go to razors are a Red Tip and a Slim Adjustible that I typically use with Feathers, Red IP, 7 o'clocks, and Shark SS so I'm not concerned with a sharp blade if that would be the best pairing with the New. WHat would be your thoughts? THanks!

proxy.php

If those are your go to blades I would use the Sharks as a "control" blade to get a feel for the New. After that, you can decide if you want to go Feather or 7 O'Clock (which color?). Enjoy!!!! These are great razors.

I bought a 1930's open comb on the flea market last weekend. Used a Lord in it first which was quite rough. Tried it again with a Wilkinson Sword which was rather more satisfactory. I have some 1965 Gillettes, so I might try one of those next.

I have this razor too it's my only DE razor, at the moment I have a Shark blade in it and it give a very good shave. The handle is a little small for me as I have large hands but still a great little razor and a nice piece of history too.

SO here's how the shave went...fantastic! After cleaning it up a bit, and dropping in a Red Personna, I lathered with The Wool Fat and have never had a better shave. Great balance, just enough aggressiveness, easy to manuever, and from a razor over 80 years old. I have an area on my neck that I always have to buff to get BBS, but not anymore. I was amazed. What a treat and awesome piece of history.

One of the finest razors ever. Good blade choice too..the reds always do a nice job for me in the New....Welcome to the love of open combs!!

Another vote for the Blue 7 o'clock in the NEW. That combination has given me a solid BBS every time.

Happy Shaving
Dave

Maybe I'm a Gillette snob, but any gillette blade I've ever used has given me a great shave. But I like a feather also.

Top Bottom