What's new

Found my new favorite soap!!!

And the winner is.......

Pre De Provence!!! I tried it a few years back and did not care for it (cannot remember why). Bought a new tin a few days back and it is great. I only use shea butter soaps now. Pre De Provence is simply great and the price cannot be beat. $14 for 5.2oz.

Hmmm, interesting. Have you tried Institute Karite or Provence Sante? I haven't tried either of those but I've read that others think both of those are better than PdP. So far, I think PdP is mediocre. I absolutely love the scent though.

Hmmm, interesting. Have you tried Institute Karite or Provence Sante? I haven't tried either of those but I've read that others think both of those are better than PdP. So far, I think PdP is mediocre. I absolutely love the scent though.

I have tried both! Institute Karite is good, but I am not super fond of the scent. My other favorite soap is Provence Sante Greent Tea. I find the Pre De Provence to be a bit slicker compared to Provence Sante though. Both smell really nice.

Do you really work at the lather for PdP? It takes some extra work to get it really lathered up, nice and slick. Maybe the shea butter prevents it from lathering super easy?

I really like PdP -- the scent and the skincare. But I have a hard time getting a good lather from it consistently. One time I'll get a great, slick, protective lather...the next it'll be sticky and thin. As far as I can tell I'm not doing anything differently, either. Wish I could "crack the code" of this soap!

My favourite as well. After liking the scent I have found I enjoy subtle scents and my face also thanks me for that. What an amazing soap. I am awaiting the arrival of IK. I have a feeling French soaps are the best in the world and they ain't tallow so go figure!

My favourite as well. After liking the scent I have found I enjoy subtle scents and my face also thanks me for that. What an amazing soap. I am awaiting the arrival of IK. I have a feeling French soaps are the best in the world and they ain't tallow so go figure!

The french veggie soaps are fantastic. Why can't the english learn from them...

Anyway, does anyone have issues lathering from the tin? Does it work well to load your brush or is it kinda awkward. At 5.2 Oz it sounds like a larger puck and tin but its hard to say without seeing it

I really like PdP -- the scent and the skincare. But I have a hard time getting a good lather from it consistently. One time I'll get a great, slick, protective lather...the next it'll be sticky and thin. As far as I can tell I'm not doing anything differently, either. Wish I could "crack the code" of this soap!

I used to try to bowl lather it, but never found a "sweet spot" that I could replicate. Since I've gone 100% face lathering with this and Cade, I've had consistently great lather. With the PdP, I'm keeping the surface of the soap moist by capping the tin directly after use. I'm using a wetter brush (a boar, dripping the excess water out of the soaked brush, then a couple of "up and downs" to force out a little more water), them I loading up the brush with a lot of product. I'm finding that if I then set the loaded brush aside for a bit while I do a little more face and razor prep, it seems to help the lather as well.

As I finish all of my posts regarding shaving methods and products: YMMV.

The french veggie soaps are fantastic. Why can't the english learn from them...

Anyway, does anyone have issues lathering from the tin? Does it work well to load your brush or is it kinda awkward. At 5.2 Oz it sounds like a larger puck and tin but its hard to say without seeing it

Hmm. PdP was the first soap I bought when I started wet shaving (from Amazon, I didn't even know about this forum at the time). I fumbled around trying to figure out was to do with it for a few months, so I can't honestly tell you whether it was awkward loading the brush from the full tin. Everything was awkward back then. I eventually set PdP at the back of the cabinet for quite a while as I did the exploring and experimenting we all do. When the more experienced me pulled the tin back out a couple of months ago, I didn't have any trouble swirling the brush around on the 2/3 full tin.

Love it myself, Don't be afraid to use some water with it and it will reward you with IMHO some of the best lather there is, as a matter of fact i can't remember when i got a bad batch? for me it is one of the easiest to use.

Ian

Edit , I don't know if it makes any difference but I have my own soap containers i use so always grate and smush my soaps, seems to have a positive effect on most of them.

Last edited:
I just want to join those liking PdP. I'm still in my testing phase with soaps and trying to decide which ones I like the most. But from about 15 soaps I've tried lately, PdP is a clear winner so far. There are several soaps fighting for the next few spots but PdP is a leader in my list. It's easy to lather, works well for bowl or face lathering, the scent is nice, it's slick not overly thick, and leaves the skin soft and moisturized.

Love the stuff. Always very consistent for me. Great light refreshing scent that pairs with a multitude of aftershaves. My puck is almost gone and will be replaced when done.

I have no problem lathering from the tin. I face lather all my soaps and so far, I get a great lather every time with PdP. As mentioned, Provence Sante is a close runner up, but I am pretty sure the lather dries a bit quicker on the face and is not quite as slick.

I'm feeling the same way about Cade. It's creeping up in only a couple shaves. I think the French soaps are definitely worth trying. Eventually I'm going to give Karite a go.

And the winner is.......

Pre De Provence!!! I tried it a few years back and did not care for it (cannot remember why). Bought a new tin a few days back and it is great. I only use shea butter soaps now. Pre De Provence is simply great and the price cannot be beat. $14 for 5.2oz.

The price can, and is easily beaten. :) Just to clarify.

Glad you found a "new favorite". What was your previous winner?

Mine is still at about 70% after 7 years of periodically using it. This was the first soap I bought to start this journey.
I posted once that if you bought a screw-top tin of PdP and dedicated it strictly for travel, you would probably never have to buy another travel soap.

Even if you work in a carnival. Probably.:smartass:

Top Bottom