What's new

Single Edge Blade Advice

So I just purchased two single edge razors, but I am having difficulty deciding which blades to try. The only blades I have found so far are GEM Stainless Steel Blades, GEM Blue Star Blades and Treet Super Edge Blades. Which do you guys recommend and are there other brands that you recommend that I haven't listed? I know blades are very much a YMMV thing, but I just want to be steered in the right direction.

Thanks

There aren't many to choose from, and you've got the representative team there, I'd think. Your CVS will have a house-branded carbon blade also (undoubtedly made by ASR, like the GEMs).

I just found American Safety Razor Single Edge Razor Blades on amazon. 100 blades for $3.99. Ever heard of these? Are these the same as the GEMs?

I just found American Safety Razor Single Edge Razor Blades on amazon. 100 blades for $3.99. Ever heard of these? Are these the same as the GEMs?

Those "American Line" blades are not made for shaving. In general, you'll want to stay out of the "Industrial & Scientific," and "Tools & Home Improvement" sections when shopping Amazon for shaving blades.

Those "American Line" blades are not made for shaving. In general, you'll want to stay out of the "Industrial & Scientific," and "Tools & Home Improvement" sections when shopping Amazon for shaving blades.

oups, i didn't catch that. Maybe I should open my eyes. :blush:

The carbon steel ones will start to rust as soon as the lather washes the shipping oil off them. I use the mineral oil dissolved in isopropyl alcohol dip technique to control it.

If you don't want to fool with drying or oiling the cheaper carbon blades, the stainless work fine too.

What type of single edge razors? Pictures would be nice. Your in for some great shaves, everyone of those single edges give amazing shaves.

This is my baby. Gem G-bar. Picture could be better but its the best my phone can do.
$IMG_20120407_000214.jpg

If you go to cvs and there are none on the shelf go to the pharmacy and they can order them from their outside vendor for next day delivery... They have gem blue star and stainless..

Top Bottom