Thread: Barber school / classes

1. Default Barber school / classes

Hi,
    I live on the south shore of Montreal. For you who don't where it is, it's in the south of the province of quebec, canada. I want to become a barber and, I'm not interested in taking an hair stylist course, taking 1 and a half year of course to do ladies thingies and a little of men grooming. If anybody here knows anything about a barber school near my area or down in the states, more like in New York or something, please let me know!
    Regards,
    Max Tennessee

I think if your looking for a place that will teach you traditional stuff like straight shaving you'll have to look far and wide to find anything anywhere. Most schools don't even touch straights anymore.

Max,
    There is a hair program in the professional sector of my high school. It's mostly girls, but the head teacher is the son of an Italian barber and he's is an excellent teacher.
    The school is located in St-Leonard, not exactly the South Shore, but it's better than nothing.
    http://www.cspi.qc.ca/centre-st-exupery/

Images

Art & Technique Academy of Hairstyling and Esthetics - Oshawa

15 Simcoe Street South
    Oshawa, ON L1H 4G1

Marca College of Hair and Esthetics-Toronto (Danforth)

2902 Danforth Avenue
    Toronto, ON M4C 1M1

Further away than you may like....One thing you may want to do if you haven't already. Check the licensing requirements in the area that you would want to set up shop or find a job. Because in the industry the beauty products companies have been putting MAJOR pressure to bear on local governments to change the laws. In Wisconsin for instance they were successful ...Now a person who wishes to be a Barber my state has to go through Hair Dressers School...by law. Because of this the youngest Barber in my area is 45 years old.
    ~Dave

No matter where you go....There you are

I'll be supervising an internship for one of my student at the hairdresser school starting next week. I'll ask a few question. I know a girl who went to that school and she was taught proper shaving technique, but most salon don't use a straight razor. I get my haircut and an occasional shave at http://montrealbarbershop.com/
    It's a an old fashion barber shop about a minute from the school where I teach

Good luck in finding a school