What's new

Best Value Fragrance

I don't know...you sound like you're on the fence about that one.

Aspen is very good, and if you haven't tried it, you definitely should. It's basically a "greener" version of Cool Water, and said to be reminiscent of Green Irish Tweed as well.

I have both Cool Water, and Aspen, and greatly enjoy both.

I got the Aspen at Christmas; it was a gift set of two 1.7 oz bottles for I believe $15, so a total steal!!

4 oz for 13.50 on Amazon

Thanks for the heads up. Free shipping with Prime. I've been trying a sample of Trumper's Sandlewood from Gary's Sample shop and really liked it. I noticed it goes for $60+. Does anyone know if there is an nexpensive alternative that is similar in smell?

C. O. Bigelow has some nice scents for $20. I like blue and black. Green is also very good and they have a black pepper I'd like to sample. I haven't purchased any of them yet, but ill probably pick up black come fall. While at Bath & Body Works check out their signature series cologne. I have Citron and love it. Oak is very good and I plan to pick it up at some point.

While a bit more than $20 for a 3.4oz Voyage by Nautical is a very nice fresh scent that I just ordered yesterday after reading about it in another thread. I stopped at the mall yesterday to smell it and both my wife and I liked it so I ordered from amazon. $21.xx with prime.

I too have a sample of Trumpers Sandalwood and absolutely love it. I don't think it'll be the best warm weather scent, but rather make an excellent fall/winter scent. If there is a less expensive alternative I'm open to suggestions.

It's crazy how many things have already been put into spreadsheets by people, listed on forums etc. Great part too is that no one has been yelling at newbies for repeating questions (although I've been having trouble searching).

If you don't want to order online (since I can't imagine just picking one of those without smelling it and a lot I have not seen in stores) I would look at Ross, someone mentioned TJ Maxx, just a brand-name from one of those should be cheap and be of at least a decent quality. They seem to be growing, a lot of older colognes (I think I've seen Ralph Lauren Blue even??) have been showing up in those stores at fairly cheap prices too.

BST is a good idea, as is Ebay, I've found either mostly full (just because it's not sold anymore) and I've found Tester bottles at a good discount.

A good low cost cologne is Aqua Velva Musk. Available in all chain drug stores and in the range of about 3 to 5 dollars for a 3 1/2 oz bottle. Very long lasting. In my humble opinion it is much better than many high priced cologne's. To me I get an orange/lemon/amber/talc scent with musk. For the price and availability of it, it is worth a try.

Depends on what you're looking for. If you just want to spend $20, then you'll have plenty of options. If you want a fragrance that lasts, hows power, longevity and shazaam.... look at Serge Lutens. Nowhere near $20 a bottle. That is, unless you consider it to be several tiny bottles inside of one. But, one spray will last comparitively to 15 of the $20 fragrances.

Now I sit back and watch the worms crawl about.

I managed to nab a bottle of Nautica Oceans for $17. I always liked this fragrance. Just reminds me of the beach. One whiff, and I'm on vacation.

Aspen is great! It does smell a lot like Cool Water at first, but dries down to a nice green kind of scent. It's strong and I find it lasts a long time.

On another note, anybody know of a fragrance that smells similar to Polo Green (the original) without the huge price tag?

On another note, anybody know of a fragrance that smells similar to Polo Green (the original) without the huge price tag?

I don't how similiar it is (since I have only briefly smelled the original Polo), but Walmart sells a "Classic Match" version of Polo that I quite enjoy. It's quite heavy on the Pine scent, and has quite a long lifespan. It will run you $8-$10 for a 3.4oz bottle.

It's not watered down like so many of these knock off colognes tend to be: this stuff is super strong, and overapplication will quickly put you into the "that guy" category.

Despite your denigration of the great and esteemed Williams Mug Soap, I appreciate your Input....
Just kidding about the Williams. Everyone hates it except me and, like, three other guys.
I've used a Polo knock off in the past that wasnt half bad, except it took 5 sprays to get any longevity at all. Even then, not really. Good for the gym bag or the car.

Also, I just figured out what Aspen is: its a combination of my favorite Gilette goo aftershave and Speed Stick Original/my all time favorite, but regrettably discontinued deodorant, Speed Stick Alpine Fresh.
Unfortunately, Aspen seem too damn strong to wear in warm weather.

If you like Leather type fragrances, you'd be hard pressed to find a better one than Clubman Special Reserve...no joke, for $8 people on fragrance only websites, have compared it to $80+ high end stuff, saying if it were rebottled, you'd think it was high end juice...having said that, the stuff is strong........

I have a bottle of this...I've tried using it maybe 10 times...I hear the above comment over and over and I keep sniffing special reserve and I can't help but think its a big joke! It smells like a tin can full of used motor oil that people have been putting out cigarette butts in. it is completly nasty stuff. I have many leather fragrances that I wear and love: Knize 10, dior leather oud, tuscan leather, LT piver cuir, creed cuir de russie, givenchy gentleman, etc. and clubman special reserve smells absolutely nothing like any of them...so either I have a really bad bottle or this is a huge YMMV thing.

this whole site is YMMV, that being said, this is also a place where we can compare and contrast our opinions....garbage to one man may be treasure to another and all that jazz and what not...

I have a bottle of this...I've tried using it maybe 10 times...I hear the above comment over and over and I keep sniffing special reserve and I can't help but think its a big joke! It smells like a tin can full of used motor oil that people have been putting out cigarette butts in. it is completly nasty stuff. I have many leather fragrances that I wear and love: Knize 10, dior leather oud, tuscan leather, LT piver cuir, creed cuir de russie, givenchy gentleman, etc. and clubman special reserve smells absolutely nothing like any of them...so either I have a really bad bottle or this is a huge YMMV thing.

You definitely have a bad bottle.

Top Bottom