What's new

Section 7 - 7, Spyderco Hones

Spyderco Hones (Medium, Fine, Extra Fine)

full

full

full

Spyderco hones are very neat/interesting hones that are not talked about too terribly often, however they are inexpensive, hard as can be, incredibly flat, and just about the easiest hone to use – as they can even be used dry! Dry, with water, with lather… all extremely effective. These hones come in 3 different grits, medium (which has a brown color hone, with dark blue honing station), Fine (a white color hone with a light blue honing station) and Extra-Fine (a white color hone with a black honing station). The medium cuts incredibly fast and removes a lot of steel, the fine and ultra fine cut pretty quickly as well. The ultra-fine creates and incredibly fine/delicate edge, and works quickly and easily wet – or dry. Cleaning the hones is a snap – a little powdered cleaner and a green scotch brite pad – and they’ll look good as new. These hones are incredibly hard (being ceramic) and the fine and ultra-fine will show no wear with use – and the medium will show minimal wear with use. These hones are 2” X 8” X .5”

Medium is approx 3-4K
full

Fine is approx 8K
full

Extra Fine is approx 13-14K
full

Pro’s
1.) Reasonably priced, decent sized and work well.
2.) Cut very quickly/easily.
3.) Can be used dry, with water, or with lather.
4.) Minimal maintenance.

Size comparison - Spyderco ultra fine next to a Norton 4K/8K...
full

Con’s
1.) Must use an “X” honing pattern
2.) Miserable to lap because they are so hard.
3.) Very heavy.

PROCEED TO THE NEXT SECTION OF THE GUIDE - Section 7 - 8, Kitayama Hone

BACK TO THE TABLE OF CONTENTS

Last edited by a moderator:
would the edge off the ultra fine be comparable to the 8k side of a norton?

No. Since the ultra-fine is approx 13-14K - it is vastly superior/finer.

The Spyderco Ultra Fine hone puts a truly incredible edge on razors.

Hope this helps!

It goes without saying that Spyderco makes some great knives as well. They use a lot of VG-10 steel and put an incredible edge to their blades.

I'm not a big fan of serrated edges, but their serrated versions are wicked.

P

Papa Bull

The spyderco extra fine gave me the finest edge scratch pattern of any hone results I evaluated under 200X magnification. It's a very, very fine hone.

The spyderco extra fine gave me the finest edge scratch pattern of any hone results I evaluated under 200X magnification. It's a very, very fine hone.

Robert,
I agree... not to mention, they are ridiculously inexpensive, for a hone that nice.

They only "hone" that I think puts as wicked an edge on my razors is a VERY old, and AMAZINGLY good Belgian, but I'm not going to embarass myself and say how much that thing set me back....

Robert,
I agree... not to mention, they are ridiculously inexpensive, for a hone that nice.

They only "hone" that I think puts as wicked an edge on my razors is a VERY old, and AMAZINGLY good Belgian, but I'm not going to embarass myself and say how much that thing set me back....

Any idea where to find these hones (no not the belgian :laugh:... not yet atleast)

Very important correction: they are NOT Lap-able!
These hones are guaranteed flat from Spyderco and are harder than diamond (ruined a good diamond hone trying to lap one!)
Send an untrue hone back to Spyderco (talk to customer service) and they will replace it. I have to send my Fine grit in- didn't notice it was not flat until I tried honing a razor. Carving tools are much less effected by it.

These hones are guaranteed flat from Spyderco and are harder than diamond (ruined a good diamond hone trying to lap one!)
Send an untrue hone back to Spyderco (talk to customer service) and they will replace it. I have to send my Fine grit in- didn't notice it was not flat until I tried honing a razor. Carving tools are much less effected by it.

Hmm.... I flattened mine right up with my DMT....

I've been raving about mine for some time now. A great polishing hone that is simple to maintain. The $40 price Joel mentions is spot on to what I paid. I picked mine up thru a knife site. There are a few threads from the past out here that go into some detail.

-Scott

Remember the Spydercos are 2" wide which is fine but some guys will find them to be too narrow. I think a 3" wide like the Nortons is easier to learn on.

It goes without saying that Spyderco makes some great knives as well. They use a lot of VG-10 steel and put an incredible edge to their blades.

I'm not a big fan of serrated edges, but their serrated versions are wicked.

VG10 is a great steel. It was originally created for Japanese pruning knives. It has a rockwell hardness of 62, with a high chromium content, making more rust resistant than other high performance steels like ATS 34, and 154CM. Those two were created for the aerospace industry for jet turbine impeller blades. ATS34 and 154CM have a higher heat resistance due to the requirements of their original intent. I've notice that ATS34 in particular is extremely hard to sharpen if you don't have a diamond stone handy.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Must be made from some of that stuff the government recovered in Roswell.

VG10 is a great steel. It was originally created for Japanese pruning knives. It has a rockwell hardness of 62, with a high chromium content, making more rust resistant than other high performance steels like ATS 34, and 154CM. Those two were created for the aerospace industry for jet turbine impeller blades. ATS34 and 154CM have a higher heat resistance due to the requirements of their original intent. I've notice that ATS34 in particular is extremely hard to sharpen if you don't have a diamond stone handy.

VG-10 is a great all around steel. It can be hardened to RC62, but is rarely used that way for knives. It takes a good edge, performs very well, and is pretty tough at around RC58-60. The newfangled powdered steels can be made super hard, and are good for slicing, but VG-10 is top notch for any application that might otherwise chip a very thin edge.

Just telling you what Spyderco says- and I ruined my 3x8 DMT trying to lap my fine Spyderco. It was an expensive learning experience and with their guarantee, it's not worth trying to lap it.

According to the Spyderco website, they're now producing a 3x8 ultrafine stone. I've sent an email to the customer service people there asking whether they're also going to be making medium and fine grit stones of the same size, but the person who answers such emails is out of the office until Monday. I'll keep you updated on what they end up saying.

According to the Spyderco website, they're now producing a 3x8 ultrafine stone. I've sent an email to the customer service people there asking whether they're also going to be making medium and fine grit stones of the same size, but the person who answers such emails is out of the office until Monday. I'll keep you updated on what they end up saying.

That ultrafine stone doesn't seem to be actually available anywhere that I could find.

Top Bottom