What's new

Brush Bloom......

I don't really press the brush into my face. Also, how do you whip up a lather using painting motions? whether bowl or face lathering, I don't think I've ever seen it.

Rapid back and forth painting motions will whip up a lather on the face. It's not hard at all, but I much prefer circular motions then using paintbrush strokes to even things out.

Anyway, I think you are way overthinking this...just use the brush for a bit instead of being worried about the bloom. Again, if bloom is really a problem for you, 2-band Super/2-band Silvertip is your friend.

Rapid back and forth painting motions will whip up a lather on the face. It's not hard at all, but I much prefer circular motions then using paintbrush strokes to even things out.

Anyway, I think you are way overthinking this...just use the brush for a bit instead of being worried about the bloom. Again, if bloom is really a problem for you, 2-band Super/2-band Silvertip is your friend.

Im not overthinking anything. In my original post, I simply.asked if there was a way to tell how much bloom there will be before you buy a brush.. You guys just answered that.. Simpsons 2 bands, and loft/knot ratio.. I didn't come up with all these other lathering theories...:a29:
If lathering was mostly done using painting strokes, which obviously can, be done. Scuttles would be rectangular..:a29:

Thanks for your help. Seriously, all jokes aside...You answered my question..

Regards
BP

There are a number of factors. I find brushes that are used for bowl lathering bloom less than those used for face lathering. I suspect that it is the scrubbing you would do face lathering vs bowl lathering. Also less dense brushes (Vulfix vs Simpson) bloom more. The quality of the bristles also makes a difference. Semogues bloom better than Omegas.

I'll take it if you don't want it Basil. :biggrin1:

Its funny, I thought I was getting a brush this time with very little bloom, or less than, my last two Berkeleys,
, based on photos I've.seen of Colonels.. Just to try something different, and wouldn't you know BOOM WITH THE
BLOOM!! I actually don't mind this one, because the handle is longer, so it works well to balance it out..It also has way better flow thru than my Berks...

As for the whole lathering methods causing bloom, I don't buy it.....If that were the case, every brush out there would have crazy bloom with heavy use over time, regardless of methods of lathering.. it makes more sense that, how the knot is packed, loft height,.and.density would play a factor. As well as badger type.. I think?

Who cares, im really happy with this colonel and my semogue 620...:shifty:

P.s. If.you want a bloomy.Colonel, let me pick it out. I have a tendency to pick the whoppers for some reason? Lol

Last edited:
In my experience a shorter loft yields less bloom. No doubt something to do with angles, pressures and lengths. Just like so many things in life.

Top Bottom